TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Geek
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been upgrading Tivo HD since the beginning and I want to upgrade a bolt now. I realize you can just pop the new hard drive in and it will format it without doing anything else. My problem is I have several recordings and want to know if there is a way to upgrade and keep recording and settings like we could on previous Tivos. Any advice appreciated.

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,425 Posts
It depends on if its running v21.+/Hydra/TE4, which adds the VOX feature. It is buggy in many areas and for larger hard drives. You could downgrade to the v20.+/TE3 and it can handle larger drives better. Shows can be downloaded if they are not copy-protected You would lose the everything if you were to downgrade.

For transfer/copy of shows, programs like KMTTG, Pytivo can be used. KMTTG is only for Tivo-To-computer direction only. PyTivo is both directions. Computer-to-Tivo is not possible under Hydra, but is still possible under v20.

You can tell what version you are on by going to System Information under Settings, Black background (v21) Vs. Blue background (v20) on the Tivo menus.

Reactions: rtoledo

·
der Neuerer
3,436 Posts
I have been upgrading Tivo HD since the beginning and I want to upgrade a bolt now. I realize you can just pop the new hard drive in and it will format it without doing anything else. My problem is I have several recordings and want to know if there is a way to upgrade and keep recording and settings like we could on previous Tivos. Any advice appreciated.
MFSTools 3.32 can copy and expand a Bolt without loss of recordings. However, if you are on TE4 (Mira/Hydra) interface, as ThAbtO stated, some hard drives do not boot to completion. In this case putting the original drive back in and you lose nothing. If you let the Bolt format a drive for you, you will have lost the recordings on your original drive.

Reactions: rtoledo
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.