TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Bolt with cover on and sitting on laptop cooler runs about 56 C. I took the cover off, took it down to 48 C. BUT, I harvested some drives from Directv DVRS. They had dense thermal conducting pads on the drives. I took one and put it on top of the heat sink. Took it down from 48 to 41 C in 10-15 mins!!! That's a BIG drop!! I also put one on top of the drive, Bolt will not report drive temp but if it does that well on the CPU it probably helps the drive also. Here is a pic of the pads, I used the grey ones for the Bolt. Has anyone got a Bolt ODT down to 41 or less?

Rectangle Road surface Wood Flooring Asphalt

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My Bolt with cover on and sitting on laptop cooler runs about 56 C. I took the cover off, took it down to 48 C. BUT, I harvested some drives from Directv DVRS. They had dense thermal conducting pads on the drives. I took one and put it on top of the heat sink. Took it down from 48 to 41 C in 10-15 mins!!! That's a BIG drop!! I also put one on top of the drive, Bolt will not report drive temp but if it does that well on the CPU it probably helps the drive also. Here is a pic of the pads, I used the grey ones for the Bolt. Has anyone got a Bolt ODT down to 41 or less?

View attachment 73872
Ok I spoke too soon. When I initially checked the ODT the Bolt had been in standby doing no recordings. And it was 48 C. When I put the pad on the heat sink it dropped to 41 C, buuut, I think that is because the pad itself was room temperature, after it heated up ODT ended up about the same as without it. I did another test, turned power savings off and setup some recordings to run for hours. After 3 hours or so the ODT shows 50 C. 2 degrees higher than when coming out of standby. Still not bad, though as I mentioned cover off the Bolt.

So what do these thermal pads do? They were stuck to the drives in the DTV DVRs. I'm going to guess, I think they transfer heat? So for it to do anything the other side would have to be touching something cooler to transfer the heat to? The DVRs had metal cases so if the pads were touching it maybe transferring heat from the drive to the metal case? Maybe someone here knows. I took the pad off the heat sink since it appears not to do anything once it heats up, not touching anything to transfer the heat to? Oh well, 41 would have been nice............. Still will put Bolt into standby when not watching, not constantly recording 4-6 buffers may extend the life of the drive.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So how do you know they are thermal pads and not something to reduce the sound of the drive?
Well I looked at thermal pads for sale and they look like some of them. And they were on 3.5" drives, size is much smaller, if to reduce noise I would think they would be size of drive? Maybe the foam one in the picture was/is for noise.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have my two bolts running at 36C, but it involved cutting a hole in the top cover and installing a 120mm fan blowing into the case. I deactivated the internal fan because it was noisy; the 120 is very quiet. It's similar to what was done here, but I didn't drill all the holes in the bottom:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts