TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried converting my Bolt OTA from Hydra to HD menus using the procedures that I found in the forums:

1.) Go into Menu- Help- Reset to Defaults- Repeat Guided Setup- Select
2.) Press Thumbs Down 2 times (NOT 3!), now press Rewind 2 times, Now press Select (not Enter)
3.) Roamio will immediately go to that right arrow screen, then screen blank, then you'll get a message letting you know that the rollback process has begun

This does not work - the Bolt just sits there.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try switching to IR mode on the remote?

Scott
I did that. Power cycled. Tried an IR-only remote. After power on the Bolt upgraded to software version 21.8.3.RC4-USC-11-849.

This is my third Bolt OTA (cutting the cord in July or August). The first two were from Best Buy and the support techs (it got escalated) implied that they were defective. Then I bought one directly from TiVo with the same results.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I did that. Power cycled. Tried an IR-only remote. After power on the Bolt upgraded to software version 21.8.3.RC4-USC-11-849.

This is my third Bolt OTA (cutting the cord in July or August). The first two were from Best Buy and the support techs (it got escalated) implied that they were defective. Then I bought one directly from TiVo with the same results.
Let Tivo support know your circumstances and ask them to send you a Bolt OTA that has the TE3 interface installed. Another option might be to contact weakknees to see if they can do it. Maybe if you paid for a drive upgrade weakknees would be able to roll back to TE3.

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
You may want to try another service connection or two and let the box get updated with the Spring Update, v21.9.1.v9.

1) You may find the changes worth sticking w/ Hydra/TE4; or 2) now that the box has exhausted software upgrades on the 21.* branch, it might allow you to downgrade to 20.*/TE3.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You may want to try another service connection or two and let the box get updated with the Spring Update, v21.9.1.v9.

1) You may find the changes worth sticking w/ Hydra/TE4; or 2) now that the box has exhausted software upgrades on the 21.* branch, it might allow you to downgrade to 20.*/TE3.
The Bolt upgraded to 21.9.1.v90USC-11-849 and still would not let me downgrade to 20.*.

There are major things that I don't like about Hydra. The shortcut keys that I use a lot (muscle memory) don't work anymore (TiVo-1, TiVo-2, left arrow to exit a menu). Still haven't figured out how to get folders enabled -- no folders would be a game changer as I don't want to scroll through a couple hundred titles. Perhaps if I hadn't been a TiVo addict for 15+ years things would be different.

One question I have on the OTA boxes. How do I enter a channel such as 5.1 or (5-1 on my Vizio TV)?

Anyway I talked with WeaKnees and they say HD menus don't work on the Bolt OTA. So I bought a Roamio 1TB OTA. I will probably RMA the Bolt.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Let Tivo support know your circumstances and ask them to send you a Bolt OTA that has the TE3 interface installed. Another option might be to contact weakknees to see if they can do it. Maybe if you paid for a drive upgrade weakknees would be able to roll back to TE3.
BOLT OTA only supports TE4, and was only manufactured and tested with TE4. There is no way to downgrade to TE3.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BOLT OTA only supports TE4, and was only manufactured and tested with TE4. There is no way to downgrade to TE3.
So how come TiVo support didn't know that. Look at cases

Case # Subject Status Date Created
08781864 Support Portal Case: TiVo Bolt OTA VOX 1000GB Closed 2019/05/27
08772650 Support Portal Case: TiVo Bolt OTA VOX 1000GB Closed 2019/05/22
08754908 How to Downgrade From the TiVo Experience 4 to the Previous User Interface Closed 2019/05/12
08754528 Support Portal Case: TiVo Bolt OTA VOX 1000GB Closed 2019/05/12

I have returned two TiVos to Best Buy because the tech said they were defective and ordered one from TiVo on his recommendation (for which I will get an RMA tomorrow).

/rant on
I have used TiVo for 15+ years and really like the HD interface as opposed to the Hydra (and Fire TV, NetFlix, etc -- Roku seems the least obnoxious of the bnunch. It looks like TiVo has said goodbye to their long-time users and expects to pick up Fire Tv/Netflix/Hulu users. Hydra requires too many "clicks" to do what the HD interface can (if it can do it at all). Playing with the Hydra for a couple of days, I haven't figured out how to enable folders, the left arrow next to Select/OK does not take you out of a menu, TiVo-1 and TiVo-2 do not take you the To-do list and Now Playing, and several others. If I cannot have the HD interface, I will cease to be a TiVo user.
/rant off

·
Allan
2,693 Posts
I just got a new Bolt 500Gb (summer sale). I'm using it with a cable card. I cannot roll back from Hydra. I've tried the appropriate codes, rebooted, power-cycled, tried pressing Enter or Select after the codes - nothing. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.