TiVo Community Forum banner

Bolt +, no HDR?

2272 Views 35 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  tommage1
Bought a Bolt + (6 tuner cable only, the old 3TB black model). It's on TE3. There is no HDR setting at all, only video setting. Is this normal for TE3 Bolt? Or maybe the really old models like the Bolt +? I also tried watching some movies on a streaming service. There is no 4K setting for the service either when connected to this Bolt, only HDX 1080P or SD 480P. I suppose I could try changing it to TE4 to see if it makes a difference. My one other Bolt (4 tuner OTA or cable) version is on TE4 and has the HDR setting, auto or off. And the streaming service I can choose SD, HDX or UHD (4K). The movies I am trying to watch on the Bolt + are 4K but will only play 1080P, they play in 4K on my TE4 Bolt as they should.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
TE3 does not know 4k.
Reactions: 1
TE3 does not know 4k.
That is interesting. When Bolt came out it was advertised as 4K capable. There was no TE4 at the time. So what was the 4K advertising about?
That is interesting. When Bolt came out it was advertised as 4K capable. There was no TE4 at the time. So what was the 4K advertising about?
Bolts can do 4K QAM broadcast and recording of it, even with TE3, they are 4K capable in that regard.
Reactions: 2
Bolts can do 4K QAM broadcast and recording of it, even with TE3, they are 4K capable in that regard.
I see. Gosh very little QAM 4K broadcasting even now, I certainly don't get any. I guess they were preparing for a future that never happened, at least recordings wise. Don't think I've ever seen a Comcast 4K broadcast, this Bolt is cable only. I'll just use the other Bolt for the minimal 4K streaming I do, keep this one on TE3. I think best you can get with Comcast now is compressed 720P.
I see. Gosh very little QAM 4K broadcasting even now, I certainly don't get any. I guess they were preparing for a future that never happened, at least recordings wise. Don't think I've ever seen a Comcast 4K broadcast, this Bolt is cable only. I'll just use the other Bolt for the minimal 4K streaming I do, keep this one on TE3. I think best you can get with Comcast now is compressed 720P.
From what I understand, Comcast does not do 4K QAM, but Verizon FiOS has 2 channels dedicated to it and while I rarely see them active, there have been intermittent Fox presentations on them, I recorded a bit of a NASCAR race a while back in 4K, it was pretty impressive over the normal Fox 720 presentation.
What channels on Xfinity are broadcast in 4K that you can watch on a TiVo? I am fairly certain there are none.
What channels on Xfinity are broadcast in 4K that you can watch on a TiVo? I am fairly certain there are none.
Guess you did not check the links but it is mostly sports.
Last year I was watching Thursday Night Football on FOX in 4K on Tivo.

Smile Human body Rectangle Font Handwriting

Handwriting Rectangle Font Circle Paper
See less See more

View attachment 60110
View attachment 60111
I did click them but do not recall ever seeing 4K content on Xfinity aside from on demand.

View attachment 60110
View attachment 60111
Great. Good way to test my Bolts, both the TE3 and TE4. Since even a TE3 Bolt should be able to record a QAM 4K program, if like you said it is QAM, works on Tivo. The 6/6 show I will setup right now. Will be interesting to see how much hard drive space it uses.
It's strange, I looked at my guide for FS1 (237 channel number, FS1HD) for 6/6. At first it was not showing the broadcast, had some other show. Then it did. So I setup a recording. Comcast also has FS1 HD on 1208. I heard in the past Comcast may have setup those numbers in the thousands for possible 4K future. So I setup 1208 also, wonder if it will record both, they both show up in my "to do" list. If it does will compare how much drive space each uses. What is weird though is I look at "other showings" for the broadcast. None show for 237 or 1208. Shows on FS1 channels 95 and 400 only. And those channels do not even exist. So will be interesting to see what happens. This is around Chicago.
I read some 4K info on Comcast site. I assume the 4K sports broadcasts are live events. And it says this:

"Can I record live events in 4K?
No, live events in 4K cannot be recorded."

So not sure what will happen with that NASCAR event on 6/6. Mentions if you are watching in HD (which 237 and 1208 FS1 are supposed to be), something pops up and you have to hit a button to get to the 4K version:

"How to Get 4K UHD and 4K UHD/HDR with Xfinity
4K UHD and 4K UHD/HDR viewing is currently available to Xfinity X1 and Xfinity Flex customers.

You can use your Xfinity Voice Remote to say "4K" or search "4K" to be taken to the Experience 4K UHD on X1 landing page that displays all 4K viewing options on X1 and Flex.

When your X1 TV Box is set up, it will automatically be set to the highest video output resolution possible for your TV, including 4K UHD. The best way to determine whether you can watch in 4K is to say "Device Settings" into the Xfinity Voice Remote and then select "Video Display." Across the top of that page will be three icons that identify 4K capability in both the TV Box and the TV. If the setup supports 4K, select "Video Output Resolution" to confirm the device is set to the best available resolution. Upon selecting, you should get a prompt to confirm the resolution. Select Yes and the device settings will be saved and 4K content will now play.

If you want to manually change your video resolution after setup, you can do so from the Settings menu. Also, if you choose to view On Demand content (for free, rental or purchase) that's available in 4K, playback will automatically default to the appropriate 4K color depth based on your TV's capabilities.

If you're currently watching a show in HD, but it's available in 4K, you'll see a notification on the top right of your screen: "Good news! This program is available in pixel-perfect 4K Ultra HD."

You can press Info to go to the 4K version."

I'm kind of guessing this is not going to work with Tivo but we shall see. Maybe the 4K versions are not QAM. Maybe when I checked "other showings" and it showed those FS1 channels that do not seem to exist (95 and 400) that is where it takes you when you click the info button to go to the 4K version.
See less See more
Nope, no 4K on TE3 Bolt. And nothing pops up saying it is available. For the supposed 4K 6/6/2021 NASCAR broadcast on FS1, Comcast, 3PM Central.
Nope, no 4K on TE3 Bolt. And nothing pops up saying it is available. For the supposed 4K 6/6/2021 NASCAR broadcast on FS1, Comcast, 3PM Central.
I'm getting it on channel 1499 with Verizon. (My guide data is wrong. It says it is on channel 1498 while the content is on channel 1499.) My TiVo shows up as 2160P and my Samsung TV shows up as 3840X2160/60P UHD HDR. This is the first time I've seen 4K on this TV and this TiVo! And it is TE3.

Edit: Oddly enough, there is no content available using the Verizon supplied 4100 STB.
Worked just fine here on Verizon FiOS on a TE3 Bolt as expected.

I still question Comcast doing 4K QAM vs handing it off to 4K over IP for the X1 boxes, so far @KevTech is the only person suggesting that you can get it on a TE3 Bolt so I would defer to him as to if it worked today.
Worked just fine here on Verizon FiOS on a TE3 Bolt as expected.

I still question Comcast doing 4K QAM vs handing it off to 4K over IP for the X1 boxes, so far @KevTech is the only person suggesting that you can get it on a TE3 Bolt so I would defer to him as to if it worked today.
Were you able to record it? If so would be interested to hear how much space it used for how many hours (I guess 3.5 hours with no padding?) With TE3 should be able to see space used. Can even see TE4 space used, IF you view the recording details through a TE3 Tivo. If the guide was wrong (like for user pl1) would have to setup a manual recording I guess, 1499 for pl1. Guess there is another NASCAR 4K next week, could try recording if did not this time.

Yeah Comcast seems funny to me for the 4K. I was only able to try with TE3 Bolt as my TE4 Bolt is setup OTA. Comcast claims cannot record live 4K broadcasts even on their own equipment. Was curious to see if could watch but somehow not be able to record. But was able to do neither on TE3, well could watch/record in normal 720P Comcast FS1. Could be right about Comcast handing off to IP, the channel guide for that broadcast was screwy, kept changing, sometimes to channels that do not seem to exist for me (maybe IP only channels). No biggie, very little Comcast 4K broadcast anyway, just wanted to test.
See less See more
Would also be interesting to see what would happen if were able to record the 4K broadcast on a Bolt. Then try transferring to a 1080P Tivo, like a Roamio. Should not be able to do it, wonder if there would be some sort of message. Like trying to transfer an HD recording to an S2, can't be done.
I'm getting it on channel 1499 with Verizon. (My guide data is wrong. It says it is on channel 1498 while the content is on channel 1499.) My TiVo shows up as 2160P and my Samsung TV shows up as 3840X2160/60P UHD HDR. This is the first time I've seen 4K on this TV and this TiVo! And it is TE3.

Edit: Oddly enough, there is no content available using the Verizon supplied 4100 STB.
I'm assuming your Bolt is on TE4? Since your TV shows HDR UHD, there is no HDR setting for Bolt on TE3. Did you record it? If so, do you have another Tivo on TE3? If so you could view the info for the recorded show on the TE4 Bolt through the TE3 Tivo and see how much recording space it used. If you did not record maybe try recording the next Sunday 4K event. If your guide is wrong would have to setup manual recording for channel 1499.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.