TiVo Community Forum banner
821 - 833 of 833 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Well my friend and I have been using 7.68TB 2.5" SSDs now for 31 months, beating the crap out of them. Works great. Thread here:

5TB Bolt Drive to 7.68TB SSD Upgrade, Best Approach?
I've found this to be an interesting experiment. Good to get another update (31 months). Approaching the "maximum" the best CMR 2.5"s last, most last 2-3 years max. If I remember correctly the SSD will only work with TE3 though correct?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've found this to be an interesting experiment. Good to get another update (31 months). Approaching the "maximum" the best CMR 2.5"s last, most last 2-3 years max. If I remember correctly the SSD will only work with TE3 though correct?
Thats what I was told. I never upgraded to TE4 as I do not like it. Not sure if newer versions of TE4 have been upgraded or not to deal with newer drivers. My guess is not.

·
UHD Addict
24,091 Posts
Hello all,

So I'm getting the itch to upgrade the hard drive in my white Bolt 1TB. Reading through this thread, the Toshiba drive (MQ03ABB200) is the one that is highly recommended. I found 2 listings on eBay for a new one. However, since it's no longer made, are there newer 2.5-inch drives that work in the Bolt?

I'm assuming I can still copy my recordings to the new drive using MFSTools? It's been a while since I've done TiVo hard drive upgrades. I'm still on TE3.

Thanks!
I got my 2TB renewed drive 13 months ago from Amazon. For one of my Bolts. It was under $60 and I have yet to run into any problems with it.

I see they are under $50 now on Amazon.

Sent from my Galaxy S21

Reactions: pl1

·
Registered
1,809 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
There are still some new (old stock) Toshiba's for $60 at Walmart. (Sold and shipped by goHardDrive)
Toshiba MQ03ABB200 2TB 5400RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" (15mm) Mobile Hard Drive - 3 Year Warranty
That is interesting, how do you know they are new/old stock? If you are going by the warranty, warranty on these is provided by GHD themselves, not manufacturer (which is good, Toshiba HD warranty stinks.) Would probably be good to check with them by email. I checked the actual GHD site. They don't have the ABB200 on their own site which is strange.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
That is interesting, how do you know they are new/old stock? If you are going by the warranty, warranty on these is provided by GHD themselves, not manufacturer (which is good, Toshiba HD warranty stinks.) Would probably be good to check with them by email. I checked the actual GHD site. They don't have the ABB200 on their own site which is strange.
You never know for sure, but in this very recent post, it says the drive came in a sealed bag, and I have purchased new (used stock) from goharddrive myself in the past. Bolt HDD Upgrades in 2021

·
UHD Addict
24,091 Posts
I bought over a dozen of the 4TB Seagate Terascale Hard drives from GoHardDrive through Newegg or Ebay or Amazon. For my unRAIDs. I had an issue with one of them and I had no problem getting them to exchange the defective drive. I just had to provide them the serial number and receipt info before they approved the exchange .

Sent from my Tab S6 Lite Gray

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
You never know for sure, but in this very recent post, it says the drive came in a sealed bag, and I have purchased new (used stock) from goharddrive myself in the past. Bolt HDD Upgrades in 2021
Well they all come in sealed bags, even refurbs. However GHD is good about answering questions about new/OS vs refurb. They have sold both new/OS and refurb ABB200s in the past. Normally they list if item is refurb on their site but since this going through Walmart I'd double check.

Just a comment on refurbs in general. I wonder what exactly refurb mean on a hard drive? I've seen multiple info. Many seem to just format/clean the drive and sell it as refurb. Some check for bad sectors, some do not. Some reset the hours to zero, some do not. I bought a 3TB refurb from Newegg. Got a drive with over 40K hours and some reallocated sectors to boot. I suppose I prefer a drive where they do NOT reset the hours to zero, if they do you will never know how "used" it is, like mine, over 40K hours. I will say this, I doubt anyone REALLY refurbs a hard drive. Like taking apart, new parts etc. Soooooo, I'd avoid refurbs. Especially on 2.5" drives that will see heavy use in a Tivo.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I bought over a dozen of the 4TB Seagate Terascale Hard drives from GoHardDrive through Newegg or Ebay. For my unRAIDs. I had an issue with one of them and I had no problem getting them to exchange the defective drive. I just had to provide them the serial number and receipt info before they approved the exchange .

Sent from my Tab S6 Lite Gray
They are pretty good with warranties I think. I also bought a new/OS 4TB Terascale from them. Back before the Chia crypto HD shortage/price increases. Got it for $60, free shipping and no tax. Now it is $80, still not bad but 33% more. I am kind of monitoring to see if the price goes back to $60, if so I might grab a couple more, nice drives. CMR. I have found if you buy through GHD site direct in many cases no tax. Though that may have changed now, been 6 months or so since my last purchase from them (also got one of the Toshiba 2.5 CMR 2TB for $49.99, same terms, new/OS).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Also just got and installed a Toshiba MQ3ABB200 2TB drive this week in TiVo Bolt with dead 3TB drive. It was also GHD via Walmart. Though GHD doesn't list it on their website I emailed them before ordering from Walmart to make sure they have it. Once they said yes I ordered via Walmart. Drive arrived well packaged within 5 days. Great service from GHD.

First time I've cracked a Bolt case. Not too difficult following Weakness YouTube video. Just took my time and it came open. New drive went in perfectly and formatted right up. Now using it without issues.

821 - 833 of 833 Posts