TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 832 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

First time poster, so thanks in advance for your advice.

I recently took advantage of TiVo's lifetime sub transfer and will be getting a TiVo Bolt 500Gb in the next few days. I know hard drive upgrades have been talked about a lot on this forum and it looks like the Toshiba 3TB (MQ03ABB300) is the drive most used, but another drive that appears to be a viable option is the 2TB WD Blue (WD20NPVZ). Here is a link to the WD Blue I am referring to - http://a.co/ar8Kc0x. I certainly like the idea of having the extra size of the Toshiba, but I'm having trouble deciding on which one to go with. The WD appears to more closely in line with the Bolt+ drives, which might lead to more longevity, but the extra TB of the Toshiba is tempting. I guess my question is, are the early adopters of the Toshiba drives still happy with their choice and are they still functioning properly? Have many users gotten the four flashing lights with the Toshiba? Any other advice regarding the Toshiba, eg. special formatting before inserting into the new TiVo. Does anyone have any experience with the WD Blue drive vs the Toshiba?

Regardless of my drive choice, do most users install the new drive before booting up the new TiVo, or is it recommended to get it up and running with the 500 mb drive and then make the switch shortly after? It seems that doing it after requires two cable card syncs, which I can live with if it makes more sense to do it that way.

My current TiVo is a Premier XL4 with a 500gb DVR expander, so I'm used to a 2TB drive, and for the most part have been fine with it. Of note, I do not plan on using the expander with the Bolt given its limited capacity and extra fail point. So technically if I went with the 2TB WD drive I would be reducing my overall storage space, but I don't think that would be a big issue with me.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
59 Posts
I guess I'm in the same boat as I decided to take advantage of the upgrade offer so would like to here some feedback as well. The 3TB Toshiba drive seems to be a little more difficult to find now, macsales seems to be the main place I found that looks reputable.

I too have had a 2TB drive in my Premiere and it's been fine so if there is a good reliable 2TB drive as an alternative I'm ok with that.

Thanks
Josh

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've had the 2TB WD in mine since the Bolt came out in 2015. Cannot complain and way more than enough space for what we get on OTA (which is not much surprisingly). If you are cable then you may need more space. But that is where SlingTV comes in for us.

I replaced mine before I booted it. No idea if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I got a Bolt a few months ago, upgraded with a WD 2T, working fine.

(an a.co URI? I'm not clicking on that!)

·
2,341 Posts
I've had the 2TB WD in mine since the Bolt came out in 2015. Cannot complain and way more than enough space for what we get on OTA (which is not much surprisingly). If you are cable then you may need more space. But that is where SlingTV comes in for us.

I replaced mine before I booted it. No idea if that makes a difference.
What model 2TB WD?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Interesting for $10 more you could get the Toshiba 3TB. Is the WD that much more reliable?
I guess that's what I'd like to know too. For me at least the price difference is $22.72 when MacSales includes tax. I sure don't mind spending the additional money for another TB of space, but if the drive is not as reliable in the Bolt then I have no problem with the 2 TB.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I guess that's what I'd like to know too. For me at least the price difference is $22.72 when MacSales includes tax. I sure don't mind spending the additional money for another TB of space, but if the drive is not as reliable in the Bolt then I have no problem with the 2 TB.
The WD is from the same series used in the 1tb Bolt and 3tb Bolt+. There have been a couple of reports (not statistically significant) of the 3tb Toshiba failing after a time, so some people consider the WD safer.

(I've been doing a lot of reading as my new Bolt arrives today. I haven't made up my mind yet and will wait a couple/few weeks to see there are any issue with the new Bolt before I open it up.)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I ended up deciding to get the 3TB Toshiba from MacSales. I just purchased it so it'll probably be next week before I get it. I've got my Bolt sitting there now. I also need an HDMI splitter so I'm hoping to set everything up next week. Hopefully swapping the cable card and getting that running goes smoothly with Comcast.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I ended up deciding to get the 3TB Toshiba from MacSales. I just purchased it so it'll probably be next week before I get it. I've got my Bolt sitting there now. I also need an HDMI splitter so I'm hoping to set everything up next week. Hopefully swapping the cable card and getting that running goes smoothly with Comcast.
What's the HDMI splitter in this equation do?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
What's the HDMI splitter in this equation do?
Edit: Actually it was on the other thread you replied to. He wants to use HDMI audio to his receiver and HDMI to his display.

Probably need support for multiple displays or workaround some HDMI/HDCP compatibility issue.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I know this has been discussed ad nauseam in several threads, but in considering HD upgrades, I'm trying to synthesize all I've read and wondering if anybody has had warranty experience with Western Digital on the WD Blue drives?

I ask because according to WD's website, the 2 year warranty does not apply to drives that were sold as components. It only applies to retail packages; and as far as I can tell, the 2TB WD20NPVZ that Tivo uses in the Bolt (and many here have recommended as a capacity upgrade) is only sold as an OEM component.

If that is true, then is it reasonable to assume that our upgrade options are:

1) The 2TB 2.5" WD20NPVZ
PRICE: Currently as low as $95 (but doesn't appear to be authorized WD dealer)
PROS: Tivo's choice, seemingly reliable
CONS: Effectively no warranty (is this true?)

2) The 3TB 2.5" Toshiba MQ03ABB300
PRICE: Currently $130 from MacSales
PROS: High capacity, reported reliable for many folks, supported by Toshiba warranty
CONS: Warranty is 3 years from mfg date (not purchase date) and provides partial pro-rated refund rather than replacement (also I went this route and the drive failed after 6 months, so while awaiting my refund I'm debating these other options).

3) External 3.5" drive via direct SATA connection to the Bolt motherboard
COST: Varies
PROS: Big capacities possible. Reliable warrantied AV-rated drives available? (is this true? what are they?)
CONS: Requires keeping the Bolt case open or cutting a hole in the Bolt case. Also is this is sometimes failing on folks as well?​

Am I missing anything? Can anybody confirm the WD warranty issue? Personally, I would gladly choose option 3 if somebody pointed to a drive that was known to be reliable for Tivo and covered by warranty.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
fis: Regarding using an external 3.5 inch drive. Best drives appear to be WD Red (5400 rpm version), the NEW WD Purple (not the old ones) also appear to be a good fit. There are no issues if you use a SATA cable (direct from mother broad to hard drive), some people used SATA to eSATA enclosures to start and that did have problems after a software update. As long as you are using a direct SATA cable how you power the external hard drive doesn't really matter, but some enclosures make it hard to use the direct SATA cable. If you have a safe place for the drive you could just use a power brick to power the drive. Something like this:https://www.amazon.com/TechIntheBox...09569037&sr=8-11&keywords=sata+external+power

·
Registered
2 Posts
I finally made my decision to upgrade my bolt 500 via the external option.

Which drive is the most reliable?

What are the model numbers for the two that you recommended "WD Red (5400 rpm version), the NEW WD Purple"?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 832 Posts