TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
wait.. I did what?
14,916 Posts
I was able to regain the whole 3 TB by changing it from MBR to GPT. Ran HHD test and drive is healthy. So it looks like the four flashing lights is not a bad HHD. It took awhile. I haven't used command prompt to work on a HHD in a long time. I decided a few days ago to just bite the bullet and order a new Edge. It arrived on Sat and is up and running. I just hate the TE 4 software having used TE3 for the past 5 years. Not sure what to do with the bolt that has life time. Same as the Tivo HD with life time that is stting on a shelf.
Did you replace the power supply? that is one of the standard Bolt troubleshooting steps for 4 flashing lights, it's usually power supply or HDD.
While the HDD you took out of the Bolt is fine and has now passed the tests, the way you tested it wiped all the programs on it.
There's a good possibility that replacing the power supply on the Bolt will resurrect it now that you know the drive is ok.

This is why just doing random shotgun troubleshooting isn't always the best way, if it is the PS and you had not wiped the drive in by letting windows write to it, you might have saved all your recordings.
Unfortunately the Edge is IMNSHO not an upgrade as you're now finding out :(

·
Premium Member
4,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Did you replace the power supply? that is one of the standard Bolt troubleshooting steps for 4 flashing lights, it's usually power supply or HDD.
While the HDD you took out of the Bolt is fine and has now passed the tests, the way you tested it wiped all the programs on it.
There's a good possibility that replacing the power supply on the Bolt will resurrect it now that you know the drive is ok.

This is why just doing random shotgun troubleshooting isn't always the best way, if it is the PS and you had not wiped the drive in by letting windows write to it, you might have saved all your recordings.
Unfortunately the Edge is IMNSHO not an upgrade as you're now finding out :(
We only had a couple of programs that we never deleted from the Bolt HHD, since we used it mainly for time shifting. So losing them wasn't any big deal. Not sure what I am going to do with the Bolt and the Tivo HD. Both have lifetime.

·
wait.. I did what?
14,916 Posts
We only had a couple of programs that we never deleted from the Bolt HHD, since we used it mainly for time shifting. So losing them wasn't any big deal. Not sure what I am going to do with the Bolt and the Tivo HD. Both have lifetime.
Much better than " my programs! MY PRECIOUS!"
:D

41 - 43 of 43 Posts