TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2017 Bolt with life time, was replaced in 2019 because of a HHD failure under the warrenty. Today the same thing has happened again. All lights flashing. Because of the failure, my mini in another room is not working. I can replace the HHD myself for $150 or send to Weeknees and they will do it for $200. Or for $586, I can get a brand new Edge with life time and their care program. I have read on here that the Edge has had a lot of problems. I am not sure if my Bolt has a resolution problem. But I have a Comcast DVR and the Bolt connected to the same 50 inch Samsung TV. The Comcast box has a very noticable better picture then the Bolt. So I am not sure if Comcast is doing something to restrict the resolution thru the cable card or not. But it is another thing to think about before I decide on what route to go. I started with a ser 2, then bought a HD with life time, which I still have sitting on a self and now the Bolt with life time. I prefer the Tivo remote over the Comcast one. The buttons on the Comcast remote are not easy to press and I haven't gotten use to using the voice commands. My wife says the Tivo is easier for her to use. If I don't replace the Bolt, I will have to get another Comcast box to replace the mini. That would cost an additional $108 a year. If the new Edge would last five years like the Bolt then it would work out to $116 a year. Basicly the same as renting the additional Comcast box. What direction would any of you go?

I have a TiVo bolt purchased in 2019 for cable with lifetime service. It is one terabyte and six tuner.
A Lightning strike took out the HDMI port this past Monday. However the unit still works in the sense that I can connect to a TiVo mini and get recorded shows as well as tune to any other channels.
I can’t bring myself to replace the 2 Tivo minis (as well as the Bolt) that were also taken out with the same lightning strike.

Anyone want to make me an offer for the Bolt?

·
Registered
12 Posts
If I buy a used Bolt off of e bay will the HHD from that work in my Bolt with out having to do anything else to it?
I messed up on a previous reply so sorry for this duplication.

I have a TiVo bolt purchased in 2019 for cable with lifetime service. It is one terabyte and six tuner.
A Lightning strike took out the HDMI port this past Monday. However the unit still works in the sense that I can connect to a TiVo mini and get recorded shows as well as tune to any other channels.
I can’t bring myself to replace the 2 Tivo minis (as well as the Bolt) that were also taken out with the same lightning strike.

Would anyone like to make me an offer for my Bolt?

·
Registered
12 Posts
So you had at least 3 minis, 2 were taken out with the lightning, 1 you can still connect to the Bolt to watch shows? The Bolt, perhaps you can still use, just have to do all your programming etc with Tivo online? And watch through the Mini. Bit of a hassle but doable? But probably cannot do settings/setup etc, not sure what capability is available through Tivo online. Lifetime Bolts are cheap now, usually under $200, maybe worth a purchase (though I would get a lifetime Roamio instead). Not sure if you can replace the HDMI port, not worth paying someone to do, would cost more than buying another Bolt. But if you can buy one local without service ($10-20 or so), perhaps could play with it, see if you can remove the HDMI port and put in the one that got fried? Might be fun to try, if you only spend $10-20 or so ;) I guess it also depends on what got fried, the port itself or something on the board that connects with the port or both.
You summed things up well and thanks for the suggestions. The Bolt will not deliver a signal to a TV. I didn't try to see if I can schedule on line and will do that. Also I think the time is not currently accurate as displayed on the mini.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well hopefully the time will fix itself. You can force a connection with the Mini. The Bolt should connect once a day on it's own. Or you can force a connection by unplugging and plugging back in. When you do that it will connect to the service in about 1/2 hour. Good luck, I've never played with replacing an HDMI port myself but this situation may be worth a try since the Bolt is lifetime.
The MOCA connection was active but I needed to fix the Powerline ethernet and now I am synched properly with time and channel and can schedule from my Mini. My question for you is can I add another Mini without being able to see any screen from my Bolt with the bad HDMI port? I am able to watch recorded shows with the Tivo app on my Apple devices and can screen mirror them for play back on my Apple TV box ( I never knew this was possible before ) so I may not even need another Mini.
Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.