TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 Bolt with life time, was replaced in 2019 because of a HHD failure under the warrenty. Today the same thing has happened again. All lights flashing. Because of the failure, my mini in another room is not working. I can replace the HHD myself for $150 or send to Weeknees and they will do it for $200. Or for $586, I can get a brand new Edge with life time and their care program. I have read on here that the Edge has had a lot of problems. I am not sure if my Bolt has a resolution problem. But I have a Comcast DVR and the Bolt connected to the same 50 inch Samsung TV. The Comcast box has a very noticable better picture then the Bolt. So I am not sure if Comcast is doing something to restrict the resolution thru the cable card or not. But it is another thing to think about before I decide on what route to go. I started with a ser 2, then bought a HD with life time, which I still have sitting on a self and now the Bolt with life time. I prefer the Tivo remote over the Comcast one. The buttons on the Comcast remote are not easy to press and I haven't gotten use to using the voice commands. My wife says the Tivo is easier for her to use. If I don't replace the Bolt, I will have to get another Comcast box to replace the mini. That would cost an additional $108 a year. If the new Edge would last five years like the Bolt then it would work out to $116 a year. Basicly the same as renting the additional Comcast box. What direction would any of you go?
I will not go back to using the HD after having the Bolt. So I should just give it away. I bought the Tivo streaming device but found it hard to use. So that is sitting on the shelf also.

·
Premium Member
4,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your mention of a 'resolution' issue with the Bolt seems odd. A Bolt with correct settings should duplicate what you see from the Xfinity Box. I'd consider the possibility of a Power Supply issue with the Bolt first. Do you use TE3 or TE4 with your Bolt? Since your Bolt and Mini are both 'Lifetime' and if it's not a Power Supply issue maybe a Weeknees external HDD is an option. With the Edge you have no TE3 option, only the TE4. Your Bolt and Xfinity are connected directly to the 50" display or through a receiver?

I actually have an XG1V4 Xfinity box and use a Roamio and Mini also. I use an HDMI splitter to put the XG1V4 service to a display in another room. I'm very fortunate that I could do this with an HDMI cable.
Both are connected to the tv using input 1 and 2. I then send the audio from the TV by way of optical to the receiver. I am using T3 with the Bolt and the mini.

·
Premium Member
4,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A used Roamio Pro with Lifetime from ebay for under $250 is the best alternative if you don't want to fix the Bolt.
$50 a year for 5 years :)

It's also possible the Bolt issue is a power supply.
I just tried what you suggested and looked on e bay. They do have some units priced really good with life time. There are also a few Used Bolts for under $80 with no life time. It would be cheaper for me to buy one of those Bolts and just use the hard drive to replace mine.

·
Premium Member
4,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Based on the above, it sounds to me that your preferred option would be to stick to the Comcast X1 devices. As far as the remote control issue is concerned, you should be able to get Comcast to replace it with one that you like better--whether the same model or a different one. They have remotes that are designed for better tactile functionality (e.g., for folks who need larger buttons for whatever reason). You might prefer the XR5, which has larger buttons than the newer models and does not support voice commands.

View attachment 71670

At the very least, you could give this option a shot in order to test out how well it works out for you. If you decide against it, it is easy enough to return the second Comcast STB and go back to TiVo bearing in mind that Comcast will only charge you a pro rata fee for the number of days that the box was on your account
I forgot I have one of those remotes some wheres in the house. I will have to go find it. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Premium Member
4,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What ever I do is going to be put on hold for at least a week. I go in the hospital 5/19 for back surgery and will be laid up for a while.

·
Premium Member
4,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I buy a used Bolt off of e bay will the HHD from that work in my Bolt with out having to do anything else to it?

·
Premium Member
4,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
My Bolt was 6 years old and had already been fixed by Tivo once. So I decided to buy a new Edge and then go back and replace the HHD in the Bolt. Not sure why the HHD's are so expensive. Weeknees wants $150 for a replacement. Looks like E bay will be where I get a replacement. Will a Tivo only take a certain brand or type of HHD?

·
Premium Member
4,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I pulled the HHD out of the Bolt and connected to my PC by way of an USB adapter. I was able to see it and format it and copy files to and from it. Looks like it isn't the
HHD. However, as you can see, I can not make it one disk. E drive has 746 g of unallotted disk space and everything is greyed out to make it all one. Not sure if that is a failure or not.

Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot Parallel

·
Premium Member
4,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I was able to regain the whole 3 TB by changing it from MBR to GPT. Ran HHD test and drive is healthy. So it looks like the four flashing lights is not a bad HHD. It took awhile. I haven't used command prompt to work on a HHD in a long time. I decided a few days ago to just bite the bullet and order a new Edge. It arrived on Sat and is up and running. I just hate the TE 4 software having used TE3 for the past 5 years. Not sure what to do with the bolt that has life time. Same as the Tivo HD with life time that is stting on a shelf.

·
Premium Member
4,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Did you replace the power supply? that is one of the standard Bolt troubleshooting steps for 4 flashing lights, it's usually power supply or HDD.
While the HDD you took out of the Bolt is fine and has now passed the tests, the way you tested it wiped all the programs on it.
There's a good possibility that replacing the power supply on the Bolt will resurrect it now that you know the drive is ok.

This is why just doing random shotgun troubleshooting isn't always the best way, if it is the PS and you had not wiped the drive in by letting windows write to it, you might have saved all your recordings.
Unfortunately the Edge is IMNSHO not an upgrade as you're now finding out :(
We only had a couple of programs that we never deleted from the Bolt HHD, since we used it mainly for time shifting. So losing them wasn't any big deal. Not sure what I am going to do with the Bolt and the Tivo HD. Both have lifetime.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts