TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 Bolt with life time, was replaced in 2019 because of a HHD failure under the warrenty. Today the same thing has happened again. All lights flashing. Because of the failure, my mini in another room is not working. I can replace the HHD myself for $150 or send to Weeknees and they will do it for $200. Or for $586, I can get a brand new Edge with life time and their care program. I have read on here that the Edge has had a lot of problems. I am not sure if my Bolt has a resolution problem. But I have a Comcast DVR and the Bolt connected to the same 50 inch Samsung TV. The Comcast box has a very noticable better picture then the Bolt. So I am not sure if Comcast is doing something to restrict the resolution thru the cable card or not. But it is another thing to think about before I decide on what route to go. I started with a ser 2, then bought a HD with life time, which I still have sitting on a self and now the Bolt with life time. I prefer the Tivo remote over the Comcast one. The buttons on the Comcast remote are not easy to press and I haven't gotten use to using the voice commands. My wife says the Tivo is easier for her to use. If I don't replace the Bolt, I will have to get another Comcast box to replace the mini. That would cost an additional $108 a year. If the new Edge would last five years like the Bolt then it would work out to $116 a year. Basicly the same as renting the additional Comcast box. What direction would any of you go?
I will not go back to using the HD after having the Bolt. So I should just give it away. I bought the Tivo streaming device but found it hard to use. So that is sitting on the shelf also.

·
wait.. I did what?
15,331 Posts
A used Roamio Pro with Lifetime from ebay for under $250 is the best alternative if you don't want to fix the Bolt.
$50 a year for 5 years :)

It's also possible the Bolt issue is a power supply.

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,786 Posts
My 2017 Bolt with life time, was replaced in 2019 because of a HHD failure under the warrenty. Today the same thing has happened again. All lights flashing. Because of the failure, my mini in another room is not working. I can replace the HHD myself for $150 or send to Weeknees and they will do it for $200. Or for $586, I can get a brand new Edge with life time and their care program. I have read on here that the Edge has had a lot of problems. I am not sure if my Bolt has a resolution problem. But I have a Comcast DVR and the Bolt connected to the same 50 inch Samsung TV. The Comcast box has a very noticable better picture then the Bolt. So I am not sure if Comcast is doing something to restrict the resolution thru the cable card or not. But it is another thing to think about before I decide on what route to go. I started with a ser 2, then bought a HD with life time, which I still have sitting on a self and now the Bolt with life time. I prefer the Tivo remote over the Comcast one. The buttons on the Comcast remote are not easy to press and I haven't gotten use to using the voice commands. My wife says the Tivo is easier for her to use. If I don't replace the Bolt, I will have to get another Comcast box to replace the mini. That would cost an additional $108 a year. If the new Edge would last five years like the Bolt then it would work out to $116 a year. Basicly the same as renting the additional Comcast box. What direction would any of you go?
I will not go back to using the HD after having the Bolt. So I should just give it away. I bought the Tivo streaming device but found it hard to use. So that is sitting on the shelf also.
Based on the above, it sounds to me that your preferred option would be to stick to the Comcast X1 devices. As far as the remote control issue is concerned, you should be able to get Comcast to replace it with one that you like better--whether the same model or a different one. They have remotes that are designed for better tactile functionality (e.g., for folks who need larger buttons for whatever reason). You might prefer the XR5, which has larger buttons than the newer models and does not support voice commands.

White Input device Gadget Grey Gas

At the very least, you could give this option a shot in order to test out how well it works out for you. If you decide against it, it is easy enough to return the second Comcast STB and go back to TiVo bearing in mind that Comcast will only charge you a pro rata fee for the number of days that the box was on your account

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Your mention of a 'resolution' issue with the Bolt seems odd. A Bolt with correct settings should duplicate what you see from the Xfinity Box. I'd consider the possibility of a Power Supply issue with the Bolt first. Do you use TE3 or TE4 with your Bolt? Since your Bolt and Mini are both 'Lifetime' and if it's not a Power Supply issue maybe a Weeknees external HDD is an option. With the Edge you have no TE3 option, only the TE4. Your Bolt and Xfinity are connected directly to the 50" display or through a receiver?

I actually have an XG1V4 Xfinity box and use a Roamio and Mini also. I use an HDMI splitter to put the XG1V4 service to a display in another room. I'm very fortunate that I could do this with an HDMI cable.

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your mention of a 'resolution' issue with the Bolt seems odd. A Bolt with correct settings should duplicate what you see from the Xfinity Box. I'd consider the possibility of a Power Supply issue with the Bolt first. Do you use TE3 or TE4 with your Bolt? Since your Bolt and Mini are both 'Lifetime' and if it's not a Power Supply issue maybe a Weeknees external HDD is an option. With the Edge you have no TE3 option, only the TE4. Your Bolt and Xfinity are connected directly to the 50" display or through a receiver?

I actually have an XG1V4 Xfinity box and use a Roamio and Mini also. I use an HDMI splitter to put the XG1V4 service to a display in another room. I'm very fortunate that I could do this with an HDMI cable.
Both are connected to the tv using input 1 and 2. I then send the audio from the TV by way of optical to the receiver. I am using T3 with the Bolt and the mini.

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A used Roamio Pro with Lifetime from ebay for under $250 is the best alternative if you don't want to fix the Bolt.
$50 a year for 5 years :)

It's also possible the Bolt issue is a power supply.
I just tried what you suggested and looked on e bay. They do have some units priced really good with life time. There are also a few Used Bolts for under $80 with no life time. It would be cheaper for me to buy one of those Bolts and just use the hard drive to replace mine.

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Based on the above, it sounds to me that your preferred option would be to stick to the Comcast X1 devices. As far as the remote control issue is concerned, you should be able to get Comcast to replace it with one that you like better--whether the same model or a different one. They have remotes that are designed for better tactile functionality (e.g., for folks who need larger buttons for whatever reason). You might prefer the XR5, which has larger buttons than the newer models and does not support voice commands.

View attachment 71670

At the very least, you could give this option a shot in order to test out how well it works out for you. If you decide against it, it is easy enough to return the second Comcast STB and go back to TiVo bearing in mind that Comcast will only charge you a pro rata fee for the number of days that the box was on your account
I forgot I have one of those remotes some wheres in the house. I will have to go find it. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What ever I do is going to be put on hold for at least a week. I go in the hospital 5/19 for back surgery and will be laid up for a while.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I'd replace the drive in the Bolt. You need a CMR drive. Current model CMR 2.5" drive that will work in Bolt is WD 1TB Red Plus. You did not mention what model Bolt you have (cable or OTA/cable and what size drive). Definitely try a power supply, 12v 3A, same polarity. Don't buy anything with monthly, lifetime is cheap. Bolt or my preferred Roamio $200 or less with lifetime. Roamio way better built than Bolt or Edge and uses 3.5" drive which can last 5-10 years as compared to normal 2-3 years in a Tivo for 2.5" drives. Cheapest route, the Red Plus 2.5" 1TB for the Bolt, preferred route (for me) is the lifetime Roamio (used of course, pick a good reliable seller who is actually the user of the Roamio so know it works). Again, no sense in buying something with monthly, $15 a month, when can get lifetime Bolt or Roamio for $200 or less. I'd skip the Edge myself, lot of problems ( I have a couple, won't get into details), too expensive for what you get.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Oh, would not buy a used Bolt just for the drive, don't know how old it is, 2.5" drives in Bolt on average last 2-3 years. Buy a new drive, Bolt will format itself, the WD 1TB Red Plus will work if 1TB enough for you. DO NOT BUY AN SMR DRIVE, majority of 2.5" drives now are SMR. To be honest most used Bolt without lifetime barely worth the cost to ship, if you buy local could probably get for $15-20. But again, used just for drive not a good idea.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I have a TiVo bolt purchased in 2019 for cable with lifetime service. It is one terabyte and six tuner.
A Lightning strike took out the HDMI port this past Monday. However the unit still works in the sense that I can connect to a TiVo mini and get recorded shows as well as tune to any other channels.
I can’t bring myself to replace the 2 Tivo minis (as well as the Bolt) that were also taken out with the same lightning strike.

Anyone want to make me an offer for the Bolt?

·
Registered
12 Posts
If I buy a used Bolt off of e bay will the HHD from that work in my Bolt with out having to do anything else to it?
I messed up on a previous reply so sorry for this duplication.

I have a TiVo bolt purchased in 2019 for cable with lifetime service. It is one terabyte and six tuner.
A Lightning strike took out the HDMI port this past Monday. However the unit still works in the sense that I can connect to a TiVo mini and get recorded shows as well as tune to any other channels.
I can’t bring myself to replace the 2 Tivo minis (as well as the Bolt) that were also taken out with the same lightning strike.

Would anyone like to make me an offer for my Bolt?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I messed up on a previous reply so sorry for this duplication.

Would anyone like to make me an offer for my Bolt?
So you had at least 3 minis, 2 were taken out with the lightning, 1 you can still connect to the Bolt to watch shows? The Bolt, perhaps you can still use, just have to do all your programming etc with Tivo online? And watch through the Mini. Bit of a hassle but doable? But probably cannot do settings/setup etc, not sure what capability is available through Tivo online. Lifetime Bolts are cheap now, usually under $200, maybe worth a purchase (though I would get a lifetime Roamio instead). Not sure if you can replace the HDMI port, not worth paying someone to do, would cost more than buying another Bolt. But if you can buy one local without service ($10-20 or so), perhaps could play with it, see if you can remove the HDMI port and put in the one that got fried? Might be fun to try, if you only spend $10-20 or so ;) I guess it also depends on what got fried, the port itself or something on the board that connects with the port or both.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So you had at least 3 minis, 2 were taken out with the lightning, 1 you can still connect to the Bolt to watch shows? The Bolt, perhaps you can still use, just have to do all your programming etc with Tivo online? And watch through the Mini. Bit of a hassle but doable? But probably cannot do settings/setup etc, not sure what capability is available through Tivo online. Lifetime Bolts are cheap now, usually under $200, maybe worth a purchase (though I would get a lifetime Roamio instead). Not sure if you can replace the HDMI port, not worth paying someone to do, would cost more than buying another Bolt. But if you can buy one local without service ($10-20 or so), perhaps could play with it, see if you can remove the HDMI port and put in the one that got fried? Might be fun to try, if you only spend $10-20 or so ;) I guess it also depends on what got fried, the port itself or something on the board that connects with the port or both.
You summed things up well and thanks for the suggestions. The Bolt will not deliver a signal to a TV. I didn't try to see if I can schedule on line and will do that. Also I think the time is not currently accurate as displayed on the mini.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
You summed things up well and thanks for the suggestions. The Bolt will not deliver a signal to a TV. I didn't try to see if I can schedule on line and will do that. Also I think the time is not currently accurate as displayed on the mini.
Well hopefully the time will fix itself. You can force a connection with the Mini. The Bolt should connect once a day on it's own. Or you can force a connection by unplugging and plugging back in. When you do that it will connect to the service in about 1/2 hour. Good luck, I've never played with replacing an HDMI port myself but this situation may be worth a try since the Bolt is lifetime.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh, would not buy a used Bolt just for the drive, don't know how old it is, 2.5" drives in Bolt on average last 2-3 years. Buy a new drive, Bolt will format itself, the WD 1TB Red Plus will work if 1TB enough for you. DO NOT BUY AN SMR DRIVE, majority of 2.5" drives now are SMR. To be honest most used Bolt without lifetime barely worth the cost to ship, if you buy local could probably get for $15-20. But again, used just for drive not a good idea.
I wholeheartedly agree. I bought one on ebay (came with a couple of minis, too) and the drive failed less than 6 months later.

·
Registered
45 Posts

View attachment 71670

On a recent visit to my local Xfinity store to swap a defective XB7 Internet gateway, the store had a basket at the front of the store with new XR11 X1 voice capable remote controls. I asked if I could have two of them for my XG1v4 DVRs and they said I could have four of them. No charge. If you have an Xfinity store close by, you could check to see if they have any XR11 remotes or you could try to order the XR11 remote by calling customer service, use the online support chat, or contact support on Twitter or Reddit.

White Telephony Communication Device Grey Gadget

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.