TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For months I had a problem with my Internet disconnecting for no apparent reason. I would have to reboot my DSL modem several times a day. IT WAS MADDENING! After repeated calls to my ISP, who valiantly claimed it was not their fault, I began preparations to install a microwave link with a different ISP. Then I got a clue from the Bolt. Images and sound began stuttering. I quickly recognized that the Bolt's disk drive was full. It was having difficulty erasing as little content as possible while writing new content. I went in and did a permanent delete on everything that had been deleted. I went from 99% to 14% full disk. Immediately my Internet problem disappeared. I don't have a technical explanation as to why freeing space on my Bolt's disk solved my Internet connection problem, but it did!

Side note: You can delete everything in the deleted folder using the "Clear" button. Saves a LOT of time! :)

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
For months I had a problem with my Internet disconnecting for no apparent reason. I would have to reboot my DSL modem several times a day. IT WAS MADDENING! After repeated calls to my ISP, who valiantly claimed it was not their fault, I began preparations to install a microwave link with a different ISP. Then I got a clue from the Bolt. Images and sound began stuttering. I quickly recognized that the Bolt's disk drive was full. It was having difficulty erasing as little content as possible while writing new content. I went in and did a permanent delete on everything that had been deleted. I went from 99% to 14% full disk. Immediately my Internet problem disappeared. I don't have a technical explanation as to why freeing space on my Bolt's disk solved my Internet connection problem, but it did!
Side note: You can delete everything in the deleted folder using the "Clear" button. Saves a LOT of time! :)
Interesting story. Items in the Deleted Programs folder do not count when viewing space used or remaining in System Information. I have 184 items in my deleted folder. When I see the oldest go to heaven, I know my disk is full and I kill off the whole month. It's only a 1TB drive. I've caused my drive to become physically full many times.

·
J-E-T-S JetsJetsJets
269 Posts
Something's very wrong here. As noted, items in the deleted items older do not show in disk usage. So emptying the deleted items folder should have no impact on the percentage of disk used visible on the TiVo.

Also, I understand your claim, but there's no way that a "full" disk on the TiVo was causing your internet disruptions.

Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your response! Yes, I realize it sounds strange, but I stand by what I said. Deleting content from my Bolt disk drive solved my Internet connection problem.

But you are right about permanently deleting content not changing the disk utilization percentage. After I deleted a lot of content I did not check the disk utilization percentage. The percentage surely changed at that time. I did not recheck disk utilization until after I had deleted content from the deleted items folder. My bad!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.