TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 247 Posts

·
Bored
4,290 Posts
I really enjoyed last night's episode where they both had other dating interests.
Bob's date really cracked me up, and I was thinking Abishola's family set her up so she would reconsider Bob.
I'm still on for the ride. I think it is getting better each episode.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
It could've been a show about Abishola, her family and friends, and Abishola juggling her work, family, and social life. Without Bob as the constant.
I agree with this. I can't see Bob as her romantic partner. It's too late to change who he is, but my feeling is he should have been the doctor that appeared in every episode, and nothing more. Same personality.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The network has renewed drama Evil for a second season and extended the runs of drama All Rise and comedies Bob Hearts Abishola, Carol's Second Act and The Unicorn. CBS didn't provide episode counts but said the latter four shows all have full-season orders - which in the current landscape can mean anything from 16 to 24 episodes.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
I like Bob Loves Abishola more than I thought I would. But I'm always intrigued by any show that explores a culture Americans aren't familiar with. For most of us, Nigeria is just spam princes. I do wonder, however, how much of their depiction is rooted in fact.
I'd like to see it as an hour-long dramedy.

HBO had a season of "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" years ago, which was a joy to watch (set in Botswana), with a truly stellar performance from Jill Scott; unfortunately, it didn't last beyond the season. Definitely something to be sought out at the public library.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
HBO had a season of "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" years ago, which was a joy to watch (set in Botswana), with a truly stellar performance from Jill Scott; unfortunately, it didn't last beyond the season. Definitely something to be sought out at the public library.
2009. Loved that show. Great cast, interesting stories. I was not familiar with Jill Scott before that, thought she was just an actor. Oh was I wrong.

·
Premium Member
12,054 Posts
I'd like to see it as an hour-long dramedy.

I bought that series! Anika Noni Rose was the absolute best. She and Scott seemed to pull off the South African accents and blended well with the African and British actors.

(The man who plays the uncle in this show is American but sounds pretty authentic - to me at least.)

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
2009. Loved that show. Great cast, interesting stories. I was not familiar with Jill Scott before that, thought she was just an actor. Oh was I wrong.
I'm convinced that the series just was before its time. With current movements in entertainment in diversity cultures (i.e., everything does not need to be white, European-derived culture), I think that it could be a hit today. It would be mandatory viewing in my household. Unfortunately, IIRC, the driving creative force behind the series passed away (this was after the series was not renewed). I seriously was wondering about a Kickstarter campaign.

I still recall the first episode's scene with Jill Scott (whom I hadn't known about earlier, either) singing a cultural chant at the funeral of her dear departed daddy (as the character referred to him)--just beautiful and mesmerizing. I could go on and on.
I bought that series! Anika Noni Rose was the absolute best. She and Scott seemed to pull off the South African accents and blended well with the African and British actors.

(The man who plays the uncle in this show is American but sounds pretty authentic - to me at least.)
With the number of times I've checked the DVDs out from my local public library, I probably should purchase it as well. I've read all the books and there is just such a beautiful pureness to them, which was captured so well in the screen translation.

And you are absolutely right about Anika Noni Rose--the only part I miss in the screen adaptation is the character's ever-so-stylish shoes (her weakness) not talking to her, as in the books. Plus, I would have loved to see the actress evolve over time as the character does.

This is one of the TV series that I miss the most--it was so short-lived.

21 - 40 of 247 Posts