TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New CBS sitcom from Chuck Lorre, with Billy Gardell (Mike from Mike & Molly) and Folake Olowofoyeku.

from wiki:
Bob runs his family's successful, highly competitive sock company with his mother Dottie (Christine Ebersole), sister Christina, and younger brother Douglas. When the stress of the job lands him in the hospital, he is immediately drawn to Abishola, his kind, hardworking nurse. Now all Bob needs to do is convince her to give him a chance, which will take some doing since they couldn't be more different. After coming to America from Nigeria to find a better life for herself and her son Dele, Abishola lives in a small apartment with her super-protective relatives, Auntie Olu and Uncle Tunde. Undaunted by Abishola's lack of initial interest or the vast differences in their backgrounds, Bob is determined to win Abishola's heart, in this comedic examination of immigrant life in America.

Really liked this. It's rare to find a sitcom pilot that feels "fleshed out". Usually they take a couple eps to gel, but I liked this from the get-go. It helps that Billy Gardell is a really good comedic actor, and Folake seems to be a real find. The supporting characters did a nice job too. And you can see Chuck Lorre's fingerprints all over this.

I will admit to being skeptical going into this, but the pilot won me over. SP survives.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Agree. Good second episode. And my wife is now watching. She watches very little TV, but likes this.

Love the co-workers.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really like the co-workers. They're the best part of this show. Could do without the brother & sister altogether, although the mom is okay (Christine Ebersole).

Kemi: "Not according to Fox News"
Abishola: "And they're Fair and balanced"

I think you need the "Bob" character to balance the show. He doesn't have to carry it, but without him it's just a sitcom about a fish out of water (African in America). He brings a humanity to the story line. Plus, I think Billy Gardell is a really good comedy actor.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The network has renewed drama Evil for a second season and extended the runs of drama All Rise and comedies Bob Hearts Abishola, Carol's Second Act and The Unicorn. CBS didn't provide episode counts but said the latter four shows all have full-season orders - which in the current landscape can mean anything from 16 to 24 episodes.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
HBO had a season of "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" years ago, which was a joy to watch (set in Botswana), with a truly stellar performance from Jill Scott; unfortunately, it didn't last beyond the season. Definitely something to be sought out at the public library.
2009. Loved that show. Great cast, interesting stories. I was not familiar with Jill Scott before that, thought she was just an actor. Oh was I wrong.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I'm really liking the show, but I'm not sure how they can keep it going. Right now the viewer's motivation is based on finding out "will they get together or not". Once that happens, is there much left?
I think so. They can have a long romance, plus the humor between them can last seasons. For example, see any of Chuck Lorre's other shows. :D

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I thought his attitude was typical of people who are non-observant and cynical. Could he have been more respectful? Sure, but he also had to bite his tongue more than once.

Maybe the same set of stairs from BBT? :D

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Did anyone else think the backgrounds in several scenes looked green-screened? For example, when they were sitting at "their bench", it clearly appeared to be a green-screen behind them. I don't recall it ever looking like that before. Maybe Covid changes?

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Not a fan of musicals, or musical interludes in normal shows, but this was okay. Didn't last too long, and fit the scene. Plus watching Billy Gardell shake & jive in that last segment was worth it! :D

Bob
Abishola got a shout-out today on Jeopardy!:up:

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Billy Gardell is doing an Ozempic commercial. He's really good. Of course, he always is.
I just saw that today also. It's always kinda weird when a well-known, and currently very employed actor, does something like this. Especially a TV person.

Tonight is the penultimate episode of this season.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
1 - 20 of 26 Posts