TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New CBS sitcom from Chuck Lorre, with Billy Gardell (Mike from Mike & Molly) and Folake Olowofoyeku.

from wiki:
Bob runs his family's successful, highly competitive sock company with his mother Dottie (Christine Ebersole), sister Christina, and younger brother Douglas. When the stress of the job lands him in the hospital, he is immediately drawn to Abishola, his kind, hardworking nurse. Now all Bob needs to do is convince her to give him a chance, which will take some doing since they couldn't be more different. After coming to America from Nigeria to find a better life for herself and her son Dele, Abishola lives in a small apartment with her super-protective relatives, Auntie Olu and Uncle Tunde. Undaunted by Abishola's lack of initial interest or the vast differences in their backgrounds, Bob is determined to win Abishola's heart, in this comedic examination of immigrant life in America.

Really liked this. It's rare to find a sitcom pilot that feels "fleshed out". Usually they take a couple eps to gel, but I liked this from the get-go. It helps that Billy Gardell is a really good comedic actor, and Folake seems to be a real find. The supporting characters did a nice job too. And you can see Chuck Lorre's fingerprints all over this.

I will admit to being skeptical going into this, but the pilot won me over. SP survives.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Agree. Good second episode. And my wife is now watching. She watches very little TV, but likes this.

Love the co-workers.

·
Bored
4,290 Posts
You know, I would agree with that.

It could've been a show about Abishola, her family and friends, and Abishola juggling her work, family, and social life. Without Bob as the constant.

I've enjoyed both episodes so far though, and am glad I started at the beginning. Most shows I come in late (like 4th season) and have to back track.

·
Skin cancer I need like a hole in the head.
5,864 Posts
It could've been a show about Abishola, her family and friends, and Abishola juggling her work, family, and social life. Without Bob as the constant.
It wouldn't surprise me if that was the original idea of the show. But network executives nixed the idea thinking it wouldn't appeal to a large enough audience without a more conventional character to identify with. I don't know if that's true, but I do know many shows go through changes before they are broadcast.

·
Registered
13,218 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if that was the original idea of the show. But network executives nixed the idea thinking it wouldn't appeal to a large enough audience without a more conventional character to identify with. I don't know if that's true, but I do know many shows go through changes before they are broadcast.
Funny. I see it more as Lorre finding a vehicle for one of his guys.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really like the co-workers. They're the best part of this show. Could do without the brother & sister altogether, although the mom is okay (Christine Ebersole).

Kemi: "Not according to Fox News"
Abishola: "And they're Fair and balanced"

I think you need the "Bob" character to balance the show. He doesn't have to carry it, but without him it's just a sitcom about a fish out of water (African in America). He brings a humanity to the story line. Plus, I think Billy Gardell is a really good comedy actor.

1 - 20 of 247 Posts