TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
I am having the same problem with USA. Except I do not believe it is the signal that DTV is getting from USA as wolflord11 thinks. I have three HDVR2 units, and 2 of them show the channel just perfectly while the third one has tons of bit errors. Mostly it is the WWE shows, as well as Monk/Psych/Burn Notice shows.

My signal strength is good, and other stations are just fine. At first I thought it was my drive failing. But it is always these shows, and the HDVR2 works great during the day.

I also find it hard to believe it might be my tuner going bad. What are the odds that for months, these same shows are always recorded on the same tuner EVERY week?

Can anybody offer some insight on what to do to fix this problem? The wife said we should jsut record them on one of the other units and transfer them, but that is just a band-aid solution.

· Registered
28 Posts
Scalper -

I have already tried that solution. Originally it was on S-Video, so I switched it to composite months ago (that's how long this problem has existed). I just switched it back to composite, it's not any better. Only one cable-type was hooked up at one time.

I just transferred a glitchy episode over to one of my other HDVR2s, and the glitch transferred with it. So the problem is happening at the recording level - either with the feed or while the Tivo is recording.

This problem only happens in the evening. USA plays perfectly fine during the daytime. A Psych episode recorded Friday night at 10pm is glitchy, but the same episode recorded on Saturday at 6pm is fine. It's like the sun goes down and Tivo misbehaves. But the other two Tivos don't exhibit this problem.

Maybe I just need to pull the drive out and scan it for errors. But I don't think it is the problem, because the problems are always evening-recorded shows on USA.

· Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, I figured if the Tivo was having a problem it would channel-wide, not specific to a series of channels (more on that...)

I used to have a powered multiswitch with my Phase 2 dish. A nice DTV installer gave me a Phase 3 dish to try, that didn't solve the problem. I swapped out the powered switch with a passive switch, that didn't help either. If it was trees affecting the signal, I would think the daytime viewing of these channels would be affected and they are not.

Now, the channels. I should have been more specific - it isn't 100% USA. But that is the channel we watch the most shows on in the evening where this unit is located. The other channels that I have seen it on is G4. USA is on 101-25, G4 is on 101-27. I seem to recall another channel awhile back, and when I looked it up it was on an odd transponder of 101 as well. But it is predominant on the USA channel, sometimes to the point of unwatchable.

Now you guys are going to say it is the run to the dish on the 101. Well, I swapped cables on the LNBs and I also put new ends on those cables. I also swapped cables going to the two inputs on the HDVR2.

· Registered
28 Posts
I'm already on composite cables, no s-video hooked up right now. Again in the evening, USA is breaking up real bad on WWE Raw. Looks fine on the other two HDVR2 units, all running the same version of the os. It was also just fine during the daylight hours. I too have a lot of those error messages in my error log:

Sep 25 01:21:37 (none) myworld[235]: hpk brcm: start code 0x0 not found, assuming buffer overrun
Sep 25 01:21:37 (none) myworld[235]: hpk brcm: cannot find picture start code at 0x2b4ea1ad
Sep 25 02:27:11 (none) myworld[235]: hpk brcm: start code 0x0 not found, assuming buffer overrun
Sep 25 02:27:11 (none) myworld[235]: hpk brcm: cannot find picture start code at 0x2b35c82d
Sep 25 02:37:38 (none) myworld[235]: hpk brcm: start code 0x0 not found, assuming buffer overrun
Sep 25 02:37:38 (none) myworld[235]: hpk brcm: cannot find picture start code at 0x2b54824d
Sep 25 02:38:59 (none) myworld[235]: hpk brcm: start code 0x0 not found, assuming buffer overrun
Sep 25 02:38:59 (none) myworld[235]: hpk brcm: cannot find picture start code at 0x2b40405d

Channel: 242 USA
Program: WWE Monday Night RAW
Episode:
Description: Steel Cage action: Triple H takes on Carlito; What's next for Mr. McMahon's illegitimate son?
Recording Status: Season Pass
Currently on Live TV
Channel: 242 USA
Program: WWE Monday Night RAW
Episode:
Description: Steel Cage action: Triple H takes on Carlito; What's next for Mr. McMahon's illegitimate son?
TiVo Box Information
Software System: 6.2-01-2-151
Service Number: 1510000xxxxxxxx
System Type: United States Series 2 DirecTiVo
Subscription: Monthly Subscription
Tuner Count: 2
Remote Address: 2
TiVo Time: 10:43pm, 24-Sep-07
Uptime: 0d 17h 17m 23s
Current Temperature: 51C / 123.8F

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.