TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
"HR20 Army"
348 Posts
RunnerFL said:
No they are not! I know of at least 2 people that get their locals in HD [Mpeg4] that are not paying the HD Access Fee.
That's weird, how? You need to have the HD package @$9.99 or the HD access @ $10.99 from what I have always known.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
gio1269 said:
RS4 said:
BINGO!You got it.

Now get the other info right! ;) :p
If anyone is wrong about the information concerning the HR20, it is you guys. It's quite clear that many Tivo users are happy with the HR20. However, it is no where near the amount of Tivo users who would prefer to stay with a Tivo.

You guys are misleading Tivo users considering their options when you fail to point out that a significant number of Tivo users don't like the HR20.

I've pointed out with empirical and anecdotal evidence that the majority of users are not happy with the HR20. You guys have shown no numbers to refute those conclusions. You just emulate this 'feel-good' attitude about the box, and reach the conclusion that because it has made so many improvements, it must be as good as a Tivo. However, many of the Tivo users don't have that feel-good attitude. I constantly see on this forum and dbstalk where Tivo users are saying they don't like the HR20 flat out, while others who say they are using it but prefer Tivo.

I've encouraged fence-sitters to do the research on dbstalk forums, especially with folks like Ken S who point out the issues objectively. There are others who point to problems that may be important to Tivo users - like searching and filtered lists.

I'm quite positive that there are folks who genuinely like the HR20, but there are probably more who don't. Yeah, they put up with the box, but they're preference is towards a Tivo. If DirecTV had a Tivo-branded mpeg4 product, they would prefer it.

I have no problem with helping Tivo users who want to know about the HR20. But, I will continue to point out, when appropriate, that the HR20 is not widely accepted, especially by Tivo users.

·
Registered
13,177 Posts
Thank you for being everyone's daddy. But who said we need a daddy?

Your sole purpose seems to be to campaign against something you know little about. Who pooped in your Cheerios?

·
Registered
13,177 Posts
RS4 said:
Where's your numbers big man :confused: Prove me wrong!!
Numbers? I don't need numbers. I have two HR20s and they are working fine. Have you even ever laid hands on one?

Besides, you ignore anyone who gives you information that disagrees with your crusade.

Zealotry is fun, huh?

·
"HR20 Army"
348 Posts
TonyD79 said:
Besides, you ignore anyone who gives you information that disagrees with your crusade.
+1

The4 numbers here and on dbs talk prove that people are generally happy to ecstatic about the HR20s.

From what I gather here, it's a few curmudgeons here that will ONLY take a TiVo DVR.

I wonder how bad these guys were during the VHS/Beta wars?

Look there are MANY people that just don't care for, hate or are ok with the HR20 and that's fine.

But RS4 and a few others cannot except this and will say anything to put down the HR20. Sure it has bugs, but look at this board the last 1-2yrs.

Nothing but complaints on the HR10 since the updates past 3.1 days and other4s saying good bye! :rolleyes:

·
TiVoPlantation Owner
357 Posts
gio1269 said:
If you have the PP, and you were not getting the HD package before they should have just replaced it and there is no fee.

if you have the HD Package, the price stays the same.
Not quite,
DirecTV was adamant that they would not allow me to continue to get HBO-HD and SHO-HD without signing up for HD Access. Pointing out that I had this feature for a long time was useless because nobody seemed to remember how the plan 'used to be'. After repeated calls with long periods on hold for 'research' the shine of the DirecTV apple was fading fast. Pretty much drove me to Dish, along with those repeated HR20-700 failures...

·
"HR20 Army"
348 Posts
JJ said:
Not quite,
DirecTV was adamant that they would not allow me to continue to get HBO-HD and SHO-HD without signing up for HD Access. Pointing out that I had this feature for a long time was useless because nobody seemed to remember how the plan 'used to be'. After repeated calls with long periods on hold for 'research' the shine of the DirecTV apple was fading fast. Pretty much drove me to Dish, along with those repeated HR20-700 failures...
Well, I upgraded and my price has stayed the same.

Also 10 people I know, nothing has changed. If you have the HD package now for $9.99 and upgrade to the HR20, the price will not go up $1 to $10.99

It's NOT a double fee.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
TonyD79 said:
Numbers? I don't need numbers. I have two HR20s and they are working fine. Have you even ever laid hands on one?

Zealotry is fun, huh?
You have nothing positive to say about the Tivo so we know why you're really here. :down:

I knew you didn't have any numbers because in fact what numbers are available show quite the opposite

A recent article showed a study in New England where D* & E* are losing more subs to FIOS then the cable guys.

This past quarter E* had 42,000 more net subs then DirecTV.

DirecTV's approval ratings going down more rapidly than the competition.

20% of new HR20's being returned.

There are just as many people on this forum and DBSTALK who say they don't like the HR20 and want a Tivo.

It's too bad you guys can't be more honest instead of trying to lead people on.

·
Registered
711 Posts
RS4 said:
You have nothing positive to say about the Tivo so we know why you're really here. :down:

I knew you didn't have any numbers because in fact what numbers are available show quite the opposite

A recent article showed a study in New England where D* & E* are losing more subs to FIOS then the cable guys.

This past quarter E* had 42,000 more net subs then DirecTV.

DirecTV's approval ratings going down more rapidly than the competition.

There are just as many people on this forum and DBSTALK who say they don't like the HR20 and want a Tivo.

It's too bad you guys can't be more honest instead of trying to lead people on.
Curious - where are your numbers coming from? Got a link to a valid source?

·
Registered
711 Posts
RS4 said:
Subscriber numbers

FIOS numbers

There are several other sources, but the two above links are from skyreport.com. I also do a lot of reading on other sites such as dbstalk.com, multimedia & broadcast sites, plus investor news sites.
Not going to continue this with you after this..

do not see anything in the link you posted that backs up this one

Anyway, enjoy the HR10, will be watching the new channels on the HR20.

·
has gone his way...
11,164 Posts
There is no definitive (aka statements), about when Big Ten HD will be available..

However, every indication is that it will not be in MPEG-2... but MPEG-4, and available after D10 is active.

·
Premium Member
18,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
ebonovic said:
There is no definitive (aka statements), about when Big Ten HD will be available..

However, every indication is that it will not be in MPEG-2... but MPEG-4, and available after D10 is active.
Yeah, but BTN goes live on 8/31, with OSU playing on 9/1 (in HD). Isn't it everyone's assumption that D10 will *not* be live on 9/1?

So that leaves a hole for where that HD feed, if at all, is shown on DTV.

·
has gone his way...
11,164 Posts
Squeak said:
Yeah, but BTN goes live on 8/31, with OSU playing on 9/1 (in HD). Isn't it everyone's assumption that D10 will *not* be live on 9/1?

So that leaves a hole for where that HD feed, if at all, is shown on DTV.
Yes it does... and we have had a very long discussion about it at DBSTalk
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=93051 (see the later portions of the discussion)...

Every indication is that the first few weekends will not be available in HD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can someone clear this up for me?
Right now I have the HR10-250, and I pay for the HD package. I also use an antenna for OTA HD channels.

I know DTV is broadcasting my locals in HD, would the HR10-250 be able to receive these channels, or do I need to get the HR20 to get these channels?

Thanks.

·
has gone his way...
11,164 Posts
pipes said:
Can someone clear this up for me?
Right now I have the HR10-250, and I pay for the HD package. I also use an antenna for OTA HD channels.

I know DTV is broadcasting my locals in HD, would the HR10-250 be able to receive these channels, or do I need to get the HR20 to get these channels?

Thanks.
The HR10-250 is not compatible with the MPEG-4 format.
The HR10-250 tuners are not able to receive the signal from the 99 & 103 orbits.

HD-Locals are in MPEG-4 and on the 99/103 orbit slots.
So yes, you would need an HR20 (DVR) or H20/21 (non-dvr) if you want to receive your HD Locals (and all the new HD channels, and eventuall all SAT based HD channels).

·
Registered
6 Posts
ebonovic said:
The HR10-250 tuners are not able to receive the signal from the 99 & 103 orbits.

So yes, you would need an HR20 (DVR) or H20/21 (non-dvr) if you want to receive your HD Locals (and all the new HD channels, and eventuall all SAT based HD channels).
Exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
ebonovic said:

He's only referring to the big 4 locals. If you want PBS and the independents, then you still can't get them without and OTA on either the HR20 or HR10-250.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.