TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen that DirecTv has signed a deal for the Big Ten Network, and that they will broadcast games in HD.

Is it same to assume that these games are going to be in Mpeg4, and not in Mpeg2?

Reason why I am asking is that I have had no reason to think about upgrading my HR10-250 -- until now that is. If I will only be able to get the HD games with one of the new HR20's, then I will need to get on that ball.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
18,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nrc said:
Almost certainly.
Rats :(

Just tried calling to find out about upgrading, and the CSR was adamant that the HR10-250 would work just fine with the BTN HD, once it goes live.

Probably will just need to call back. Is there a better number, or department to ask for who actually know the HD stuff well?

·
Premium Member
18,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pudge44 said:
I have absolutely no inside knowledge here whatsoever, just pure speculation, but I would not be surprised if BTN HD programming is indeed available in MPEG-2 on the HR10-250.

I highly doubt the BTN is going to broadcast full-time in HD. If anything, they will only offer HD games in three-hour blocks on Saturdays, in which case it would not be surprsing to see DirecTV throw those up on one of the HD spillover channels (94 or 95) that they use for things like NFL Network games and the occasional MLB, NBA or NHL broadcast.
That would be very nice! The question is, how will I know? Just wait until closer to game time and see what the announce?

·
Premium Member
18,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PRMan said:
Seriously, it's only $20 and you get to keep your HR10-250, so why take a chance?
Because my understanding is that you have to be subscribed to the HD Package to receive local channels with the HR20, even if they are OTA.

Right now with my HR10-250 I get all my HD channels OTA, and do not subscribe to the HD package. I subscribe to the HD package during football season if a OSU games gets put on ESPN or ESPN2.

If I were to get the HR20, I would have to pay the HD package all year, even to get my local networks on HD, off the air.

·
Premium Member
18,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RunnerFL said:
That is incorrect. You would get your HD Locals OTA on the HR20 regardless of what package you have. You also would get the Mpeg4 HD Locals as long as you have local channels on your package.
Really? Well that is good to know, and might make me change my decision then.

·
Premium Member
18,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
gio1269 said:
Yes and No. They changed the name. Basically whether you want the SAT HD channels or not, you activate the HR20 and you pay the $10.99 and you get HD Locals, HD Nationals and the right to have an HD Box for OTA HD.

They did NOT want people getting a HD box from them, then not getting HD package and get FREE HD OTA stuff.
It's one fee that went up $1 ONLY for new subscribers. That's it.

So in your case, you will pay D* $10.99 a month to get OTA HD with their box. They will throw you a bone and give you ALL the HD channels they offer. ;)

Got it? :D
Then, I guess I am the problem child that DirecTv is trying to fix.

I don't want to pay the $10 a month to be able to record the OTA channels in HD -- so I guess the HR10-250 will stay in the rack for awhile longer.

·
Premium Member
18,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
gio1269 said:
When will most of you get this through your heads??!! The HD access fee is basically the same as the old HD Package fee.

You are NOT billed twice. So if you active a new HD box, you pay the $10 and get ALL the HD channels they offer including HD locals.

Basically the price went up $1 and you pay it whether you want ANY HD channels or not.

This was changed as folks were getting the HR10-250 for cheap and then not getting HD programming form D* and using them for OTA HD only.

So, D* says you want a HD box for OTA HD only? Ok, pay the $10 and we will give HD channels anyways whether you want/like any of them or not.

Do I blame them? No, I would have done the same thing if it was my company.

So you do NOT pay the $10.99 HD Access and the $9.99 HD channels fee. Just ONE price!

You frikin TiVo heads just don't get this, what's so hard?????????
Hey, that was not called for! :mad:

RS4 was merely explaining that I will go from paying NO fee for any HD content to use my OTA, to having to pay a monthly fee. No where did he mention anything about double fees!! :confused:

Please explain what he started that was wrong?

·
Premium Member
18,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
gio1269 said:
That's fine! Just like Macs vs PC. But when someone is on the fence and a die hard like you spews nothing but false info and crap based on your dislike for the HR20 that's just not cool and flat out childish.

Fine discuss alternatives, but don't flat out lie when someone is truly on the fence and is thinking of switching.
Umm, he didn't give *me* any false info, or lie to me.

Right now I have an HR10-250, pay NO fees for any HD from DirecTv, and can record my OTA HD channels.

If I were to get an HR20, I would then have to pay a fee to DirecTv to be able to record my OTA HD channels.

Right now, no HD fees at all. With HR20, an HD fee would apply.

Seems like his response to my question/statement was dead-on, because I don't want to have my monthly cost go up to have the same level of service, which it would if I got the HR20. Answered my question.

·
Premium Member
18,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
gio1269 said:
Squeak said:
Umm, he didn't give *me* any false info, or lie to me.

Correct. Zip, Nada!

going on his past posts as well. If you wnat your HD locals through the SAT, then yes, you will be charged.

If you want a Hr20 just for OTA, then $5.99
Ok, now I am confused :confused:

What RS4 was saying is wrong? If I don't care about *ANY* HiDef coming from DirecTv (local channels from the Sats as well), and all I want is to record my HD from OTA, the HR20 will do it for the normal $5.99 DVR fee? No HD 'fees' needed?

·
Premium Member
18,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
gio1269 said:
Squeak said:
What's confusing?

To answer you YES, you will have to pay the $10.99 fee. Then you can get a the HR20 to recored via OTA. You will also have all the HD channels INCLUDING your LOCAL HD MPEG-4 channels if you currently get locals form D* via SAT.

AGAIN, Yes to $10.99, the HR20 and OTA! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
What's confusing?

Well, the last message you said

If you want a Hr20 just for OTA, then $5.99
Now you are saying $10.99 if all I want to do is just OTA. Which is it? 5.99 or 10.99? Or are you saying hte 5.99 is the DVR fee ON TOP OF the 10.99 HD fee?

·
Premium Member
18,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
ebonovic said:
There is no definitive (aka statements), about when Big Ten HD will be available..

However, every indication is that it will not be in MPEG-2... but MPEG-4, and available after D10 is active.
Yeah, but BTN goes live on 8/31, with OSU playing on 9/1 (in HD). Isn't it everyone's assumption that D10 will *not* be live on 9/1?

So that leaves a hole for where that HD feed, if at all, is shown on DTV.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.