TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
generalpatton71 said:
EVERY new HD channel is MPEG4 PERIOD!! There is no room for anything on MPEG2. I think everybody here remember a couple HD channels being turned off last year for Sunday Ticket. That said the new sat is almost in final position and will begin testing soon. Right now we know September 15 is a hard date but things seems to be going well and talk is maybe if were lucky Labor Day weekend. I'd advise to get a HR20 now unless you plan on moving to cable and getting a S3 or something. Heck if you want just use your HR20 to view the channels the HR10 can't.
There aren't too many Big Ten football games on Sunday that I recall. :p So I don't think Sunday Ticket will be an issue here. :D My guess is that it will be mepg2 because of the timing. It's just like NFLST - they are broadcasting that in mepg2 again this year.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Squeak said:
Really? Well that is good to know, and might make me change my decision then.
No, that is not correct. DirecTV is charging an HD access fee even if you only want to watch locals. So, when you activate a new box like the HR20, you will be charged the fee.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
gio1269 said:
Also the $10.99 is ONLY for new customers. So IF you did have the HD package currently, the price stays the SAME.

Because they are sooo many stubborn people on this board and find any opportunity to rip the HR20 for no reason and have NO IDEA what they are talking about.

He is the PERFECT example.
My my... it seems I can't even mention the HR20 in a discussion that has nothing to do with it's performance or acceptability without getting people all upset. :eek: Me thinkest some folks might be a bit touchy. :p

It's a shame when folks on a Tivo forum get beat up because they like a Tivo product and try to get others to research the alternatives with an open eye. You folks seem to have a hard time acknowledging that the DirecTV dvrs are just not accepted by the Tivo users like a Tivo product is.

The next few months offer hope to many of us who are wanting a Tivo mpeg4 HD product from DirecTV for our continued enjoyment. If you call that stubborn, fine. I call it a group of folks who enjoy the Tivo more than the source. And after all, this is a Tivo forum. I don't think it's necessary to belittle us on our own forum when we're trying to discuss our perceptions of the alternatives.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Squeak said:
gio1269 said:
Ok, now I am confused :confused:

What RS4 was saying is wrong? If I don't care about *ANY* HiDef coming from DirecTv (local channels from the Sats as well), and all I want is to record my HD from OTA, the HR20 will do it for the normal $5.99 DVR fee? No HD 'fees' needed?
At the risk of being beat over the head again, :eek: you incur a fee from DirecTV if you add a new box that is HD capable whether you use it or not. In this case, if you added an HR20 that is HD capable and only wanted to watch OTA, DirecTV will charge you as if you were watching the HD channels from the satellites.

In other words, DirecTV will no longer allow us to watch only the OTA channels and not pay them some kind of HD fee. Because you would be adding a new box, DirecTV is going to charge you more.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
gio1269 said:
RS4 said:
BINGO!You got it.

Now get the other info right! ;) :p
If anyone is wrong about the information concerning the HR20, it is you guys. It's quite clear that many Tivo users are happy with the HR20. However, it is no where near the amount of Tivo users who would prefer to stay with a Tivo.

You guys are misleading Tivo users considering their options when you fail to point out that a significant number of Tivo users don't like the HR20.

I've pointed out with empirical and anecdotal evidence that the majority of users are not happy with the HR20. You guys have shown no numbers to refute those conclusions. You just emulate this 'feel-good' attitude about the box, and reach the conclusion that because it has made so many improvements, it must be as good as a Tivo. However, many of the Tivo users don't have that feel-good attitude. I constantly see on this forum and dbstalk where Tivo users are saying they don't like the HR20 flat out, while others who say they are using it but prefer Tivo.

I've encouraged fence-sitters to do the research on dbstalk forums, especially with folks like Ken S who point out the issues objectively. There are others who point to problems that may be important to Tivo users - like searching and filtered lists.

I'm quite positive that there are folks who genuinely like the HR20, but there are probably more who don't. Yeah, they put up with the box, but they're preference is towards a Tivo. If DirecTV had a Tivo-branded mpeg4 product, they would prefer it.

I have no problem with helping Tivo users who want to know about the HR20. But, I will continue to point out, when appropriate, that the HR20 is not widely accepted, especially by Tivo users.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
TonyD79 said:
Thank you for being everyone's daddy. But who said we need a daddy?

Your sole purpose seems to be to campaign against something you know little about. Who pooped in your Cheerios?
Where's your numbers big man :confused: Prove me wrong!!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
TonyD79 said:
Numbers? I don't need numbers. I have two HR20s and they are working fine. Have you even ever laid hands on one?

Besides, you ignore anyone who gives you information that disagrees with your crusade.

Zealotry is fun, huh?
You have nothing positive to say about the Tivo so we know why you're really here. :down:

I knew you didn't have any numbers because in fact what numbers are available show quite the opposite

A recent article showed a study in New England where D* & E* are losing more subs to FIOS then the cable guys.

This past quarter E* had 42,000 more net subs then DirecTV.

DirecTV's approval ratings going down more rapidly than the competition.

20% of new HR20's being returned.

There are just as many people on this forum and DBSTALK who say they don't like the HR20 and want a Tivo.

It's too bad you guys can't be more honest instead of trying to lead people on.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
ebonovic said:
The HR10-250 is not compatible with the MPEG-4 format.
The HR10-250 tuners are not able to receive the signal from the 99 & 103 orbits.

HD-Locals are in MPEG-4 and on the 99/103 orbit slots.
So yes, you would need an HR20 (DVR) or H20/21 (non-dvr) if you want to receive your HD Locals (and all the new HD channels, and eventuall all SAT based HD channels).
He's only referring to the big 4 locals. If you want PBS and the independents, then you still can't get them without and OTA on either the HR20 or HR10-250.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.