TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
"HR20 Army"
348 Posts
RS4 said:
No, that is not correct. DirecTV is charging an HD access fee even if you only want to watch locals. So, when you activate a new box like the HR20, you will be charged the fee.
When will most of you get this through your heads??!! The HD access fee is basically the same as the old HD Package fee.

You are NOT billed twice. So if you active a new HD box, you pay the $10 and get ALL the HD channels they offer including HD locals.

Basically the price went up $1 and you pay it whether you want ANY HD channels or not.

This was changed as folks were getting the HR10-250 for cheap and then not getting HD programming form D* and using them for OTA HD only.

So, D* says you want a HD box for OTA HD only? Ok, pay the $10 and we will give HD channels anyways whether you want/like any of them or not.

Do I blame them? No, I would have done the same thing if it was my company.

So you do NOT pay the $10.99 HD Access and the $9.99 HD channels fee. Just ONE price!

You frikin TiVo heads just don't get this, what's so hard?????????

·
"HR20 Army"
348 Posts
Squeak If I were to get the HR20 said:
Yes and No. They changed the name. Basically whether you want the SAT HD channels or not, you activate the HR20 and you pay the $10.99 and you get HD Locals, HD Nationals and the right to have an HD Box for OTA HD.

They did NOT want people getting a HD box from them, then not getting HD package and get FREE HD OTA stuff.
It's one fee that went up $1 ONLY for new subscribers. That's it.

So in your case, you will pay D* $10.99 a month to get OTA HD with their box. They will throw you a bone and give you ALL the HD channels they offer. ;)

Got it? :D

·
"HR20 Army"
348 Posts
Squeak said:
Hey, that was not called for! :mad:

RS4 was merely explaining that I will go from paying NO fee for any HD content to use my OTA, to having to pay a monthly fee. No where did he mention anything about double fees!! :confused:

Please explain what he started that was wrong?
Also the $10.99 is ONLY for new customers. So IF you did have the HD package currently, the price stays the SAME.

Because they are sooo many stubborn people on this board and find any opportunity to rip the HR20 for no reason and have NO IDEA what they are talking about.

He is the PERFECT example.

·
"HR20 Army"
348 Posts
It's a shame when folks on a Tivo forum get beat up because they like a Tivo product and try to get others to research the alternatives with an open eye. You folks seem to have a hard time acknowledging that the DirecTV dvrs are just not accepted by the Tivo users like a Tivo product is.
That's fine! Just like Macs vs PC. But when someone is on the fence and a die hard like you spews nothing but false info and crap based on your dislike for the HR20 that's just not cool and flat out childish.

Just like when someone wants to compare and asks about the HR20 vs the H10 The Tivo freaks go ape *****!

The next few months offer hope to many of us who are wanting a Tivo mpeg4 HD product from DirecTV for our continued enjoyment. If you call that stubborn, fine. I call it a group of folks who enjoy the Tivo more than the source. And after all, this is a Tivo forum.
Good luck with holding your breath. Maybe in a few years. If they came out with a unit that was BETTER than the HR20 (not just the GUI layout) I would switch i a heart beat. Like loved my Hr10 but I love my HR20 just as much.
I don't think it's necessary to belittle us on our own forum when we're trying to discuss our perceptions of the alternatives.
When you talk about nothing you know about and unfairly with other TFC members like myself you get what you get. I am Tivo user as well as a HR20 user.

Fine discuss alternatives, but don't flat out lie when someone is truly on the fence and is thinking of switching.

Wake-up and smell the coffee. As of right now, D* and Tivo is a dead deal and the HR10 is almost time to be sent to the glue factory fro MOST HD use.

These things are dying like flies and if you want a HD DVR with D* it's the HR20 or HR21.

·
"HR20 Army"
348 Posts
Squeak said:
Umm, he didn't give *me* any false info, or lie to me.

Right now I have an HR10-250, pay NO fees for any HD from DirecTv, and can record my OTA HD channels.

If I were to get an HR20, I would then have to pay a fee to DirecTv to be able to record my OTA HD channels.

Right now, no HD fees at all. With HR20, an HD fee would apply.
Correct. Zip, Nada!

Seems like his response to my question/statement was dead-on, because I don't want to have my monthly cost go up to have the same level of service, which it would if I got the HR20. Answered my question.
going on his past posts as well. If you wnat your HD locals through the SAT, then yes, you will be charged.

If you want a Hr20 just for OTA, then $5.99

·
"HR20 Army"
348 Posts
Squeak said:
gio1269 said:
Ok, now I am confused :confused:

What RS4 was saying is wrong? If I don't care about *ANY* HiDef coming from DirecTv (local channels from the Sats as well), and all I want is to record my HD from OTA, the HR20 will do it for the normal $5.99 DVR fee? No HD 'fees' needed?
What's confusing?

To answer you YES, you will have to pay the $10.99 fee. Then you can get a the HR20 to recored via OTA. You will also have all the HD channels INCLUDING your LOCAL HD MPEG-4 channels if you currently get locals form D* via SAT.

AGAIN, Yes to $10.99, the HR20 and OTA! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
"HR20 Army"
348 Posts
Squeak said:
gio1269 said:
What's confusing?

Well, the last message you said

Now you are saying $10.99 if all I want to do is just OTA. Which is it? 5.99 or 10.99? Or are you saying hte 5.99 is the DVR fee ON TOP OF the 10.99 HD fee?
LMAO! Sorry, $10.99

·
"HR20 Army"
348 Posts
JJ said:
You will pay $10.99 mo.
HR20 + any HD (sat or OTA) content = HD Access fee. DirecTV attempted to force this on me when they replaced my HR10-250 with a HR20-700 under the protection plan. You may get some sympathetic DirecTV rep to apply you some credits to cover the new fees, but don't count on it...
If you have the PP, and you were not getting the HD package before they should have just replaced it and there is no fee.

if you have the HD Package, the price stays the same.

·
"HR20 Army"
348 Posts
nrc said:
gio1269 said:
It's pretty amusing that after ripping RS4 you can't give the guy a clear answer. :D
LMAO. Yeah, yeah. I typed the wrong number. After typing again and again to explain it I mis-typed.

·
"HR20 Army"
348 Posts
RS4 said:
Squeak said:
At the risk of being beat over the head again, :eek: you incur a fee from DirecTV if you add a new box that is HD capable whether you use it or not. In this case, if you added an HR20 that is HD capable and only wanted to watch OTA, DirecTV will charge you as if you were watching the HD channels from the satellites.

In other words, DirecTV will no longer allow us to watch only the OTA channels and not pay them some kind of HD fee. Because you would be adding a new box, DirecTV is going to charge you more.
BINGO!You got it.

Now get the other info right! ;) :p

·
"HR20 Army"
348 Posts
RunnerFL said:
No they are not! I know of at least 2 people that get their locals in HD [Mpeg4] that are not paying the HD Access Fee.
That's weird, how? You need to have the HD package @$9.99 or the HD access @ $10.99 from what I have always known.

·
"HR20 Army"
348 Posts
TonyD79 said:
Besides, you ignore anyone who gives you information that disagrees with your crusade.
+1

The4 numbers here and on dbs talk prove that people are generally happy to ecstatic about the HR20s.

From what I gather here, it's a few curmudgeons here that will ONLY take a TiVo DVR.

I wonder how bad these guys were during the VHS/Beta wars?

Look there are MANY people that just don't care for, hate or are ok with the HR20 and that's fine.

But RS4 and a few others cannot except this and will say anything to put down the HR20. Sure it has bugs, but look at this board the last 1-2yrs.

Nothing but complaints on the HR10 since the updates past 3.1 days and other4s saying good bye! :rolleyes:

·
"HR20 Army"
348 Posts
JJ said:
Not quite,
DirecTV was adamant that they would not allow me to continue to get HBO-HD and SHO-HD without signing up for HD Access. Pointing out that I had this feature for a long time was useless because nobody seemed to remember how the plan 'used to be'. After repeated calls with long periods on hold for 'research' the shine of the DirecTV apple was fading fast. Pretty much drove me to Dish, along with those repeated HR20-700 failures...
Well, I upgraded and my price has stayed the same.

Also 10 people I know, nothing has changed. If you have the HD package now for $9.99 and upgrade to the HR20, the price will not go up $1 to $10.99

It's NOT a double fee.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.