TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Big Sky - Season 1 *Spoilers*

3K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  Tony_T 
#1 ·
Welp, that was interesting. Glad they didn’t spend an inordinate amount of time introducing the characters.

The sisters were annoying so I expected them to get captured. Too bad about the truck stop girl just “tryin’ to make a livin’” though.

The bad ranger wasn’t a complete surprise. That actor has been type-casted over the last several years. I suspect him after he made the “sanctuary city” comment to the guy from San Francisco driving the Tesla.

Sorry to see Ryan Philippe bite it so quickly.

#20 ·
I like the show, but Emmy territory? It's really kind of a typical network TV show trying to imitate the type of thing that the pay services do so well, but under the constraints of network TV. It's a little (lot?) over the top in presentation and a bit of a train wreck. But it's still an interesting watch. Of course ABC has to thrown in a few soap opera type plot devices. Wife and husband's lover team up. Trooper shot and clings on to life with "memory losses", main baddie having "mommy issues" and we all knew that eventually he was going to "off" her. Ditzy kid teamed up with smart kid. Yeah, we've never seen that before. But it all kind of works pretty decently for what it is. At least it's not the same junk that CBS puts out constantly, 15 versions of the same cop show with a different name.
If it were on CBS we'd be having Big Sky: New York and Big Sky: Chicago

Reactions: Steveknj and jasrub
#21 ·
And every week there's be a Big Sky cop story. It'd be about the state troopers. Seriously, I mock CBS for doing this but it's highly successful. But everyone of those shows is essentially the same thing, just in a different setting, FBI agent, NCIS agent, Forensics, but essentially they are all about cop chasing baddie and catching him/her in the end.

#19 ·
I like the show, but Emmy territory? It's really kind of a typical network TV show trying to imitate the type of thing that the pay services do so well, but under the constraints of network TV. It's a little (lot?) over the top in presentation and a bit of a train wreck. But it's still an interesting watch. Of course ABC has to thrown in a few soap opera type plot devices. Wife and husband's lover team up. Trooper shot and clings on to life with "memory losses", main baddie having "mommy issues" and we all knew that eventually he was going to "off" her. Ditzy kid teamed up with smart kid. Yeah, we've never seen that before. But it all kind of works pretty decently for what it is. At least it's not the same junk that CBS puts out constantly, 15 versions of the same cop show with a different name.

#26 ·
Was the ranchers story in the books? That seemed to come out of left field in the second half of the season. Not at all thrilled with that story line. Still invested in the Ronald story line, which is much better and really creepy. If it was just about the ranchers, I would have bailed.

#4 ·
I watched maybe 15 minutes. I spent another 15 minutes trying to figure out why this was greenlit. The writing was... less than good.

I'll keep watching later today, and see if I can make another 15 mins.

#12 · (Edited)
Meh!
It pains me to say that because I love Kathyrin Winnick and even more so the excellent C.J. Box books this show is based upon. However, unlike the Bosch series, here Box has obviously ceded complete control to Kelley whose work I tired of decades ago. Lots of changes, too many to the worse. I'm not a purist as I love the changes to the Bosch TV series which unlike here are reasonably congruent to the author's style.
Will try a 2nd episode out of desperation but sadly this looks like yet another reason I hardly ever watch TV any more. Foolishly, I had such hope.

#13 ·
From the trailer I had watched, I thought I'd like this show so set up a season pass for it. But I was mostly disappointed. I'll give it another episode or two, though. It just seems like standard network dreck. I laughed at how in almost every scene, they had to have some song or instrumental track playing in the background at some point. I wish they'd spend more of their budget on better writing, not on licensing music. I noticed the sheriff was bit "off" the instant he showed up and started talking, so I fully expected him to be revealed as a bad guy at some point. I think they should have led us viewers on longer, though. While what happened with Ryan P. was a surprise, it was also a "ok, whatever".

#24 ·
I watched because of the books. Reading them and then seeing this. I was very disapointed. The two main characters were so not like anything in the books it wasn't even the same. As a reader, I will say, the actor for the Montana trooper was absolutely perfect-just as I imagined him! The creepy trucker pervert was perfect but the two gals were so far off it isn't even amusing. The plot was followed up to a certain episode and then bam it was like a whole new season and not touching the books anymore.
Oh well. I will enjoy the books and maybe try to watch the show and not connect it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.