TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Big Shots: Pilot OAD:9-27-2007 *spoilers*

3K views 41 replies 31 participants last post by  unixadm 
#1 ·
I'm enjoying this one. Nice to see all of these guys in one show and have it come off pretty funny.

Loved the line about the name Dontrelle and how it would have been a clue (something along the lines of sounds more like an NFL player :p :D )

#2 ·
I just watched, and thought it was somewhere between okay and pretty good. I don't have a SP yet, and haven't decided whether to add, but there were some funny moments, including the one you mentioned. :D

#3 ·
This was the first of the new shows that is entertaining. I enjoyed it enough to keep the SP -- and, I might even watch its next episode! We'll see if they expand story lines enough for me to enjoy this long term.

Meanwhile, I'm happy to see some old faves back again. Phew.

#5 ·
I really liked this. It's good to see Dylan McDermott on TV again.

Something that confused me, though: when James went up to the boss' wife at the wake and showed her the necklace case, was there something in it? His wife had already been given the necklace because we saw it in her hand, so how could the widow know what was in it?

#7 ·
I like it. The chemistry between the main characters is believable. I'd merely planned to watch this since Christopher Titus is a cast member (and I really loved his sitcom on FOX) but was pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable it is.

The Season Pass is set.

#8 ·
I really enjoyed it. So far, this is my number 2 new show (after Bionic Woman).

A couple of strange plot points, though. Why would Karl take his mistress to the same couples therapist that he goes to with his wife? That just seems like a recipe for disaster. I didn't hear Marla insist that they go to the same one (though I admit I was a little distracted during her scenes).

Also, why would Duncan give Dontrelle his card?!? All he's doing is giving him more information, like the fact that he's the CEO and perhaps could be blackmailed for lots of money? Instead, he should have given him a first name and phone number and asked him to call.

And while we're on that point, how come both Duncan and Brody thought that if they could "find the tranny" that Duncan's problems would be over? What about the cop?

#14 ·
I really enjoyed some pretty "girly" shows, Gilmore Girls as an example, but this has to be the worst show I have ever seen. The writing is soooooooooo terrible. Not witty, not smart, guaranteed to be a failure.

Unbelievably BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry if I offended fans...

#15 ·
Amnesia said:
Are you intimating that I'm not a straight male?
No, it's just a question. This show is billed as the 'Sex and the City' for men, but I don't see straight men watching it. Which would mean it's the 'Sex and City' for gay men, but 'Sex and the City' was 'Sex and the City' for gay men. And if only women are watching, well, then it's just 'Sex and the City' with men in the lead roles, so what's the point? Is this show written by men? Or is it written by women who think they know men (when they obviously don't)? It's a very confusing show. I'm puzzled how this show was even picked up by a network.

#16 ·
Seems pretty much a knockoff of a British program that may have run on BBCA or FX last year. Four super rich guys, wives, ex-wives, mistresses, etc.

Can't remember the name of the program. Off for a search. ;)

#17 ·
In the overnight ratings, "Big Shots" got a 7.8/13 in households for #5, but lost 24.64% of that in the second half hour; among adults 18-49 the rating was 4.7 for #4, but lost 35% of the audience in the second half hour.

That seems to indicate a pretty hefty chunk of people gave up on the show after just 30 minutes of viewing.

#19 ·
PajamaFeet said:
Did anyone else think rather than Sex & The City for men it was more like Desperate Housewives with men?
That's exactly what I thought - Desperate Housewives with men.

I didn't think the comedy part was very funny, since the jokes center around rich white men. And the drama side of the show was pretty standard stuff. The guy who's becoming a CEO while his wife's cheating on him caught my interest, I think mostly because the actor brought something to the part. But overall, there's not enough here to continue onward with the show.

#20 ·
mportuesi said:
I didn't think the comedy part was very funny, since the jokes centered around rich white men.
What does one have to do with the other?

Are you suggesting that only upper-middle class women would find Desperate Housewives funny? Or only poor white men enjoy My Name is Earl? Or only rich black people watched The Cosby Show?

#21 ·
mportuesi said:
That's exactly what I thought - Desperate Housewives with men.

I didn't think the comedy part was very funny, since the jokes center around rich white men. And the drama side of the show was pretty standard stuff. The guy who's becoming a CEO while his wife's cheating on him caught my interest, I think mostly because the actor brought something to the part. But overall, there's not enough here to continue onward with the show.
That's what I thought; that character was the most interesting to me, and I am also interested to see whether Christopher Titus' character goes somewhere other than "I'm whipped, but I kind of like it." :rolleyes:

#22 ·
I saw some bad reviews for it, so was hoping for better. I am actually finishing it up now. It is not bad. I will keep watching it. I like the male-dominated viewpoint of the show, even if one of the early themes is the de-masculation of them. Although that is a pretty realistic theme in today's society, the attempt for men to be de-masculated at every turn.

As a rich white man, I thought some of the jokes were funny. I will say some of the dialog was not the best. "Men are the new women" and other little lines were just bad.

I will keep watching though...

#23 ·
Amnesia said:
What does one have to do with the other?

Are you suggesting that only upper-middle class women would find Desperate Housewives funny? Or only poor white men enjoy My Name is Earl? Or only rich black people watched The Cosby Show?
No, I'm simply saying that I don't find jokes with rich white men as the focal point all that funny. At least not the way this show portrayed them.

#24 ·
I wanted to watch this show because I have always liked Dylan McDermott and Joshua Malina in what I have seen them do. The other actors are okay, but I wouldn't watch a show just because they were in it.
PajamaFeet said:
Did anyone else think rather than Sex & The City for men it was more like Desperate Housewives with men?
Either analogy works...and that is the problem. They show these men in very emotionally charged situations. Cheating on your wife, being cheated on, being emotionally whipped, and being a single father who cannot tell a tranny from a hooker. But most men I know don't want to see this. They don't want to think about emotional pain, let alone feel it. Why would they seek emotional pain out in their entertainment viewing? Physical pain and suffering, fine...bring it on. Shove Jack Bauer down a hole and watch him get out, fine. Mess with Jack's family, you will only make him mad...you won't like it when he's mad. He gets revenge and we get to feel manly with him. Emotional pain is not necessarily sought out.

Women are different in their entertainment choices. Just as men see people in physical danger and try to figure out "what would I do..." women do the same with emotional engagement. My wife constantly criticizes choices that are made by women on shows as being wrong or misguided. She Friday Morning Quarterbacks Grey's Anatomy with the best of them. But she enjoys the process of working through her own emotions while she watches.
dswallow said:
In the overnight ratings, "Big Shots" got a 7.8/13 in households for #5, but lost 24.64% of that in the second half hour; among adults 18-49 the rating was 4.7 for #4, but lost 35% of the audience in the second half hour.

That seems to indicate a pretty hefty chunk of people gave up on the show after just 30 minutes of viewing.
I lasted 15 minutes longer and stopped watching when they went to commercial at about 42 minutes. I then deleted the show, and my SP.

#25 ·
Jon J said:
Seems pretty much a knockoff of a British program that may have run on BBCA or FX last year. Four super rich guys, wives, ex-wives, mistresses, etc.

Can't remember the name of the program. Off for a search. ;)
Manchild. Kinda reminded me of that too.

However, the real American version of Manchild premieres later in the television season. At least I think it does. I know it has been filmed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.