TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall last year discussions about alternatives to Windows Media Player for playing .tivo files and would appreciate a refresher course.

I seek a simple player that simple keystroke controls for moving forward and backward through a recording.

What are others using...?




Rick A.
Pleasanton CA
 

·
Funkadelic
Joined
·
4,705 Posts
It's been awhile since I've messed with it, but I seem to recall liking the ZoomPlayer interface. VLC is nice becuase a codec is builtin.

EDIT: Often controls are limited by the file type and/or codec being used by the player.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, this was a player that had keystrokes akin to the TiVo's remote: Press <Left Arrow> to go back 10 seconds and <Right Arrow> to jump ahead 30 seconds. That seems like a small thing to ask for but I can't find a player that offers it. Anyone...?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
The Core Media Player is another.
You can fine tune the Aspect Ratio if you have problems in that area and many other tweaks.
http://www.corecoded.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
RickAltman said:
Press <Left Arrow> to go back 10 seconds and <Right Arrow> to jump ahead 30 seconds. That seems like a small thing to ask for but I can't find a player that offers it. Anyone...?
For Zoom Player (mentioned earlier) as delivered :

,(comma) - 5 seconds backward
.(period) - 5 seconds forward
<Alt>, - 20 seconds backward
<Alt>. - 20 seconds forward
<Ctrl>, - 120 seconds backward
<Ctrl>. - 120 seconds forward

But both the number of seconds and keys used to trigger the movement can be changed if you are not happy with the default values.
 

·
Registered Snoozer
Joined
·
7,824 Posts
RickAltman said:
Hmm, this was a player that had keystrokes akin to the TiVo's remote: Press <Left Arrow> to go back 10 seconds and <Right Arrow> to jump ahead 30 seconds. That seems like a small thing to ask for but I can't find a player that offers it. Anyone...?
"mpeg-vcr" does this. Not really a player (it's for editing mpg files), but when playing the videos, you can hit left or right arrow to advance a frame at a time or up/down arrows to advance more (configurable: a set number of seconds, or a set percentage of the file).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
thelastvoice said:
Media Player Classic (not related to Windows Media Player in any way) works great for me. It has built-in MPEG2/SVCD/DVD codecs. It's free, no ad or spyware.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Media_Player_Classic.htm

Robert
Yup, that worked for me too. I've been using it because I hadn't installed my standard DVD player app and I had it on hand but I might keep using it regardless in the future, it's pretty powerful.

The program is great, very small footprint, doesn't even need an install routine ('least the version I got)... You just run the exe and play whatever you want. It has FF and RW, I'm almost sure you can bind or re-bind the keys it uses for that but I can check for certain later (not at my own PC atm).

Edit: Just downloaded it on this PC (like I said, it's a small file, 4MB), and it does let you re-bind every single key so you can use whatever you want for any of it's functions.
 

·
From Alabama
Joined
·
109 Posts
thelastvoice said:
Media Player Classic (not related to Windows Media Player in any way) works great for me. It has built-in MPEG2/SVCD/DVD codecs. It's free, no ad or spyware.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Media_Player_Classic.htm

Robert
Looks like it is well supported, as there was an update on 1/21/2006.

You got me interested, gonna dl it now and give it a whirl. :up:

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Edit: Just downloaded it on this PC (like I said, it's a small file, 4MB), and it does let you re-bind every single key so you can use whatever you want for any of it's functions.
Any idea how you re-bind the keys? The documentation seems to be missing.

Edit: Figured out how to re-bind keys, you just click on the value and get a drop down menu. Any idea how to adjust the amount of skip? Seems like the largest skip is 20 seconds.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top