TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,317 Posts
I'm amazed. I don't doubt it (or at least, that it's as correct as it can be), I'm just amazed.

I got a kick out of Talking Saul when Bob Odenkirk had no idea how long the phone call was after the divorce. They told him it was six years and not a few months and he shrugged and said something like "I dunno, I don't watch the show..." I have a somewhat better handle on the timeline than that, but not a lot better.
In his autobiography, he talks about his parts on BB (at least the first season or two he was on).. After one long scene with WW and a lot of dialog.. he turns to Bryan Cranston and asks "So Gus is your friend?" Bob O admitted that he didn't watch the show or really read the entire script. He learned his lines, showed up, did the lines, and went home.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,365 Posts
I'm amazed. I don't doubt it (or at least, that it's as correct as it can be), I'm just amazed.

I got a kick out of Talking Saul when Bob Odenkirk had no idea how long the phone call was after the divorce. They told him it was six years and not a few months and he shrugged and said something like "I dunno, I don't watch the show..." I have a somewhat better handle on the timeline than that, but not a lot better.
Well the dialogue of the phone call (spoken by Saul) specifically said it had been six years. So Bob clearly knew that info at one point when he performed the line. But he must have forgotten.

KIM: Kim Wexler.
JIMMY: Hey, Kim. You know who this is? I'm gonna take that as a yes. Uh, that receptionist of yours, is she the type to listen in?
KIM: No.
JIMMY: Good. ( chuckling ) Okay. So, how's Florida been treating you? I'm catching you between hurricanes, I hope. Kim, you there?
KIM: What do you want?
JIMMY: I don't... I don't want anything. I just... It's been a while, you know? Just... I'm thinking it's been a while, and, um, might be nice to catch up.
KIM: Catch up?
JIMMY: Yeah. My mind was wandering this morning. I was just... Not thinking anything in particular. Just random thoughts. And, bam, it suddenly occurred to me it's been six years. I mean, Jesus. I, I couldn't believe it. I thought you might wanna know I'm still alive. Yep. I'm still out here, still getting away with it. The feds couldn't find their own ass with both hands and a proctologist.
KIM: You shouldn't be calling me.
JIMMY: Oh, hey! You're awake!
KIM: You shouldn't be calling.
JIMMY: Why not? What, am I tying up the line for important irrigation business? I mean, come on, Kim. Say something. ( scoffs ) You can call me an asshоlе, yell at me. Just let me know you've still got a pulse. Just say something.
KIM: You want me to say something?
JIMMY: Yeah.
KIM: You should turn yourself in.
JIMMY: ( chuckling ) Do what?
KIM: You heard me. I don't know what kind of life you've been living, but it can't be much.
JIMMY: Said the pot to the kettle! What... That is... That is really rich, you... You preaching to me? See, you have no idea what I did or didn't do, okay? A-And why don't you turn yourself in, seeing as how you're the one with the guilty conscience, huh? What... What is stopping you? Fring's in the ground. Mike's in the ground. Lalo's in the ground. Apparently. You don't have to hold back on my account. They can only hang me once. So... So go ahead. Spill your guts! Put on your hair shirt, see what it gets you! Why... Kim, why are we even talking about this? We're both too smart to throw our lives away for no reason. Just... I just... I only wanted to... Kim. Kim? ( Gene breathes deeply ) Kim.
KIM: I'm glad you're alive.

·
Premium Member
11,038 Posts
Something I have been wondering is where was the filming gap when Bob O had the heart attack. Anybody know?

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,365 Posts
Something I have been wondering is where was the filming gap when Bob O had the heart attack. Anybody know?
On the Insider podcast they said it was during the filming of that scene after Howard is shot, when Lalo is talking to Jimmy and Kim and telling Jimmy he needs to go shoot Gus. Apparently they had finished shooting all the shots from one direction, but hadn't yet started shooting all of the shots from the other direction. So it meant that when they came back and picked up filming 5-6 weeks later, Patrick Fabian also had to come back to lie on the floor to finish filming that scene.

In the meantime, since the scripts for the whole season were already done, they were able to shoot other scenes that didn't include Bob during that break.

Edit: Here’s how Bob described it in a recent interview:
While shooting this final season of Better Call Saul last summer, the actor suffered a heart attack during filming for the eighth episode. He has no memory of the immediate aftermath of his collapse, but he knows it was 5.30pm, the cast and crew had been shooting all day and that they were changing shots. So the Illinois-born actor, now 59, headed to the exercise bike he used between scenes and began watching a Chicago Cubs baseball game on TV.

“I went down on one knee, and then I went all the way down. I guess I said, ‘I don’t feel very good,’” he recalls with a rueful laugh. Odenkirk now knows that castmates Rhea Seehorn [who plays Kim Wexler] and Patrick Fabian [Howard Hamlin] grabbed his head and hand and “started yelling at me to stay on Earth”.

Luckily the show’s health officer had a defibrillator in the boot of her car and, while she ran to get it, trained crew administered CPR – “proper CPR”, as he puts it. “I wasn’t breathing. I mean, if nobody had been there, if they didn’t do that CPR, I’d have been dead in a few minutes.” Three shots of the defibrillator were followed by emergency surgery that cleaned out the artery he gamely dubs “the widowmaker”.

But blocked blood vessels notwithstanding, Odenkirk was already in great shape after shooting last year’s well-reviewed action film Nobody. “Now I take a bunch of heart medication I didn’t take before!” he says cheerfully, before adding that he is maintaining the same workout regime. “Otherwise, what’s changed is, you get that real sense that there’s a limit to this life. So the choices you make with what you do next, and what you commit to, that’s where it affects you. You try to get your [professional] priorities to be ones that you’ll feel good about if you go down!”

·
I am Groot!
64,379 Posts
I guess they were lucky, relatively speaking. On Motherland: Fort Salem, the star of the show (Taylor Hickson) was in a pretty brutal car accident during the filming of the first couple episodes of this season that caused head trauma and memory loss. They had to write her mostly out of the show for half the season while she recovered, and while she did a few brief scenes to establish where she was (if you watch the show you'll know what I'm referring to), she says she has no memory of doing it.

That show has enough of an ensemble cast that they were able to reshuffle the story on the fly to get around her absence.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I'm at a loss as to how it could end well for Kim. She named EVERYONE in her affidavit, including Gustavo Fring & Mike Ehrmantraut. They're still doing business in Breaking Bad.
No they jumped 6ish years, so Gus, Mike and Lalo are all dead. Jimmy/Saul/Gene is the only one it could blow back on.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,365 Posts
No they jumped 6ish years, so Gus, Mike and Lalo are all dead. Jimmy/Saul/Gene is the only one it could blow back on.
Exactly. Even during the phone call between Jimmy and Kim, she said to him that he should turn himself in, and that pissed him off. He replied, in part:

"Why don't you turn yourself in, seeing as how you're the one with the guilty conscience, huh? What... What is stopping you? Fring's in the ground. Mike's in the ground. Lalo's in the ground. Apparently. You don't have to hold back on my account. They can only hang me once. So... So go ahead. Spill your guts!"

Clearly that made Kim think about it more and realize there wasn't any reason she should be holding back. And the next scene we see is her flying to Albuquerque to bring her confession to the D.A.

·
UHDTV Snob
13,681 Posts
So the question is what brought Kim to crying most?
  • Did she hate her Florida life?
  • Did she hate she contributed to getting Howard killed?
  • Did she hate what she is doing to Jimmy and she could have guided him different?
And don't say all of it!
ALL OF IT! :giggle:

Definitely her guilt/responsibility for getting someone killed indirectly.

This episode brought me back...was not digging this season at all. Now looking forward to the finale.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Something mentioned on Talking Saul is that props from BCS are going to be auctioned off starting August 18.

I still remember when BCS was supposed to feature Saul practising his trade like a procedural - you'd start with a scene, then you'd get to see Saul worm his way through the case winning a not-guilty verdict or something. I suppose it's kind of sad we didn't see it happen at least once just because.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's possible Gene told Jeffie's mom (I keep forgetting Carol Burnetts character name) his last name....
It's Marion. And here's a throwback: I remember that because when Carol Burnett was doing her show in the 70s, her character's name on a recurring segment called "As the Stomach Turns," a soap opera parody, was also named Marion.

I am just as old as dirt! 😂

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
While the meeting of Jesse and Kim was cool and gave a bit of a bridge between the two series, I still think that Arron Paul's voice is too different from his BB and it pulls me out of the episode a bit.

I think that Gene is going to die in the next episode, but the question for me is how. I don't see him taking his own life, I'm guessing a police shooting as he's fleeing or car accident during a police chase.

I think we've seen the last of Kim, which is a shame since I'd like to see what happens with her life from here.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
While the meeting of Jesse and Kim was cool and gave a bit of a bridge between the two series, I still think that Arron Paul's voice is too different from his BB and it pulls me out of the episode a bit.
If the timeline of that scene is so far off from Breaking Bad he could have easily supposed to be still in high school or at least college age. I couldn't buy for a second he was his Breaking Bad age much less younger than that. I just gave them a pass by suspending my disbelief because what else can a person do.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts