TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I didn't like the open. Although it was nice to see the desert southwest again. and color.
But once Bill Oakley came in, i was fanboying and enjoyed the rest of the episode.

Not sure it makes a lot of sense.
Jimmy's speech didn't save kim from a civil suit
(although I think eventually ms hamlin would realize Kim didn't have to say anything. And Kim doesn't have any assets. And Kim lives in florida where her house is protected from judgement)
Jimmy's goal in allocution was reconciliation with Kim. Gotta think there are better ways than going to prison for an extra 80 years. Was it worth it for one cigarette? Guess it was in tv land.

Watching live, i felt they stuck the landing, and i think I'll still feel that way in the future.

next TC meet is in abq for some unsliced pizza and a RV tour :)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
A worthy ending. And he did come out on top as he said he would. Then he gave it all up for the woman he loved. He became Jimmy and all the potential he had.

It was an unexpected end, and in some ways I think that BCS is a better show than BB was.

·
Premium Member
28,267 Posts
Not sure it makes a lot of sense.
Jimmy's speech didn't save kim from a civil suit
(although I think eventually ms hamlin would realize Kim didn't have to say anything. And Kim doesn't have any assets. And Kim lives in florida where her house is protected from judgement)
Jimmy's goal in allocution was reconciliation with Kim. Gotta think there are better ways than going to prison for an extra 80 years. Was it worth it for one cigarette? Guess it was in tv land.
Same here, a little confused. He spilled some beans to implicate Kim, which he didn't need to do.. and he then took the 86 years to get Kim off. He could have stuck with the 7 years and Kim would be in about the same position.

Other than that, a great ending.

·
All About Footwork
32,298 Posts
My son and I both absolutely hated the ending. He has proclaimed that this show is no longer his favorite show ever.

He threw away 7 years of minimum security so he can save Kim (and get 86 years in max sec?). Give me a break.

·
Premium Member
28,267 Posts
He threw away 7 years of minimum security so he can save Kim (and get 86 years in max sec?). Give me a break.
And the only reason Kim needed to be saved was that he implicated her for all those things in his previous statements. He could have just STFU and done the 7 years minimum security and be out to live the rest of his life. Maybe with Kim, maybe not.

I find it hard to believe VG and PG ended it this way -- even Jimmy/Saul isn't that dumb/lovestruck to spend the rest of his life in prison just for the girl he'll never be out to enjoy life with. The only thing I can think of is that Jimmy did this just to protect him from himself and scamming more people and possibly getting Kim caught up in it again. OTOH, perhaps he learned his lesson with what happened to Howard Hamlin. Who knows for sure.

I think a better ending would have been a 10 to 15 year plea-bargain and Kim visits him once in a while.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I loved it. Was engaged and found the entire episode compelling and entertaining and appreciate the ending the more I think about it (not that I didn't like it to begin with). I don't see his decision as being just about Kim, although his desire to see her again might have been one of the bigger factors to push him towards taking the leap and walking away from the original deal.

Up until four episodes ago, the entire series was about the transformation from Jimmy to Saul, with the final piece of the puzzle being when Kim left him. For most of these last four episodes, it looked as if Saul had completely taken over and there was nothing left of Jimmy. They even had me wondering if there was ever any good in Jimmy or if Chuck was completely right about him all along. In the end, Jimmy was still in there and he let him back out. I thought it was a nice touch how at the start of the courtroom scene, they mentioned that he requested that he be referred to as Saul Goodman but at the end, after following through with his plan to do the right thing, he said he was James McGill. I also thought it was telling that at one point somebody (the judge?) said that he was not to blame for his brother's death and he disagreed.

In my view, the shared cigarette at the end was between Jimmy and Kim, not Saul and Kim, and the final look before the fade to black was pure artistry. Sure, Jimmy is now benefiting in prison from his fame as Saul, but the transformation back to Jimmy is complete. Well done!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Great episode, I admit to not watching all of Saul in the earlier seasons especially as it got drawn out, but these last few were excellent.

As for the 86 year sentence - I think it was to get to see Kim again - face it - if Kim got prosecuted she'd be locked up as well and Jimmy and Kim wouldn't have ever gotten back together. But here, there was an opportunity to see her again, and in the future.

FYI, you might have disregarded it, but it turns out that little AMC promo at the beginning introducing the series finale, and the card just before the actors give their thanks and the credit roll is extremely important.

In the beginning, the hangar is swinging wildly. In the end, it's showing a shirt from BCDC.

But as you saw in the last scene, Jimmy was wearing a hoodie with "ADX Montrose" on it.

BCDC = Bernalillo County Detention Center. Jimmy got trasnferred for good behavior.

·
Notable Member
117,699 Posts
While I expected Saul to be in prison at the end, I didn't exactly expect him to revert back to James McGill. I get how others just aren't buying that whole part.

He changed to protect Kim? Its not really clear to me that his extra confessions in the court hearing would have really made any real difference to her. It was all weird to me starting with the conversation on the airplane back to ABQ. Seemed like the audience was supposed to think Saul was gonna screw he over somehow to totally save himself.

SO, I guess he was shocked Kim turned herself in after their brief phone call and then decided to do the same.?

·
Premium Member
58,076 Posts
The flashbacks in the episode - Mike, Walter, Chuck, all had a purpose.

First, they were about regrets, and what Jimmy/Saul would change if he could. Second, in each of the flashbacks, the other character pointed out that Jimmy/Saul was always a money grubbing scumbag with no morals.

Mike would change taking a bribe that would lead to the death of his son. Jimmy would invest in Berkshire Hathaway. Walt wouldn't have walked away from the company. Jimmy wouldn't have hurt himself during a slip and fall. Walt said, "So, you were always this way??"

James wanted to show that he wasn't always that way. Or at least, he wasn't that way anymore. He didn't want to pull another one over but face up to all the things he's done.

Of course, he could have taken the 7.5 years and gotten out and been an exemplary community servant. Not sure what he accomplishes with life in prison.

·
Notable Member
117,699 Posts
I feels like James/Jimmy is really living life on the inside as Saul. All the inmates know him that way.. They like him that way.. It's beneficial for Jimmy to be Saul. I just imagine Saul trying to help other inmates get their convictions over turned, or sentences reduced or released earlier and all that.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts