TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
TDL shepherd
17,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FYI... Copied from the TiVo.IFTTT.Innovate Facebook group, with permission from David Shoop -- provided the fact that it is a BETA feature is emphasized, and that the only support for the feature is via the TiVo.IFTTT.Innovate Facebook group. ("TiVo Support knows nothing about it.")

===================================
***NEW BETA FEATURE - CHAPTERING***
I mentioned the other day that we may try something new that we call "chaptering". Well, the time has come to test it out!

Important Information
1. BETA test - please note that this is a BETA test. It might work, it might not.
2. IMPACT - There should NOT be any impact to the SKIP functionality
3. SUPPORT - The only support for the feature is right here in this group. Please do not call customer support.

What is Chaptering
Using our SKIP technology, we will create additional SKIP points in a recording that allow you to SKIP from one interesting point to the next; e.g. skip to Curry drop a 3pt for down town! Use the SKIP key to skip to the next interesting point and SKIP over a commercial breaks. The idea is to get you to the interesting points of the content without having to watch the entire recording. Kind cool, right?

Where will Chaptering be Available?
We are going to add chaptering to the remaining NBA and NHL finals. The specific games and chaptering events are outlined below. We hope to do this for all games listed but make no guarantees it will work.

How Do I get Chaptering?
If you have a TiVo that shows you SKIP icons, your half way there. The other half is to set a recording for any/all the NHL or NBA final games. One of the easiest ways to record all events is to create a OnePass for NBA finals and Stanley Cup Playoffs, we call that SportsPass. Then Approximately 10min after the game/recording is complete the SKIP icon should appear.

How do I use chaptering?
During playback of the recording, you should be able to SKIP to any chapter point or SKIP over the commercials. Use the SKIP/D key to skip to the next interesting point and SKIP over a commercial breaks. You can also use the Channel up or Down key to move forward and backward between these SKIP/chaptering points.

Chaptering Events and Schedule

NBA Events (i.e. Chaptered Moments)
Chapter - ~5 seconds before All 3pts by Warriors
Chapter - ~5 seconds before All Dunks by Warriors
Chapter - beginning of each period, if not already done by commercials
SKIP - commercial segments

NBA Schedule
June 3 [email protected] 8:00p ET ABC
June 6 [email protected] 9:00p ET ABC
June 8 [email protected] 9:00p ET ABC
June 11 [email protected] 9:00p ET ABC (if necessary)
June 14 [email protected] 9:00p ET ABC (if necessary)
June 17 [email protected] 8:00p ET ABC (if necessary)

NHL Events (i.e. Chaptered Moments)
Chapter - ~10 seconds before any goal (either team)
Chapter - ~10 seconds before any great save/missed goal (either team)
Chapter - ~10 seconds before any fight or massive hit (either team)
Chapter - beginning of any power play
Chapter - beginning of any period
SKIP - commercials

NHL Schedule
June 2 [email protected] 8:00p ET NBCSN
June 4 [email protected] 8:00p ET NBC
June 7 [email protected] 8:00p ET NBC
June 10 [email protected] 8:00p ET NBC
June 13 [email protected] 8:00p ET NBC

Summary
Again, this is BETA only! We hope it works and you guys like it. Leave us comments below and let us know what you think… we're listening.
===================================

Followup 1: Hidden Easter egg. If you recorded the first game of Dubs v Cavs you should see SKIP on the content. Start viewing and press skip to take you to the best plays.

Followup 2: No special device or UI. Press the skip (ch up/down, d key) to skip to each chapter during playback. Regarding SNL, they are not running new episodes just yet. We did run a test on last weeks show and it was awesome!

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
I hope this doesn't mean that Channel Up is not the same as "D" button anymore? I want Channel Up to skip commercials, not to some point that someone else deemed "interesting". The "D" button is not convenient to find without looking at remote or even available on some TiVo Remotes so I never use it. Likewise, Channel Down should go to the previous start of a show after commercials, not some different point.

If this is just for sports events which don't usually have SKIP then that's fine, just hope it's not going to be extended to non sports shows as well.

·
TDL shepherd
17,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope this doesn't mean that Channel Up is not the same as "D" button anymore? I want Channel Up to skip commercials, not to some point that someone else deemed "interesting". The "D" button is not convenient to find without looking at remote or even available on some TiVo Remotes so I never use it. Likewise, Channel Down should go to the previous start of a show after commercials, not some different point.
Heh, hope they don't listen to my request, then. (And, yes, D/Channel Up are still equivalent.)
First thought might be to keep 'D' strictly for SkipMode (and 'SKIP' button on VOX Remotes)... jumping to the next start of a program segment ... and reserving "CHannel Up/Down" for CHaptering. (aka Chapter Up/Down ;))

If this is just for sports events which don't usually have SKIP then that's fine, just hope it's not going to be extended to non sports shows as well.
Also being considered for other content, such as SNL.

·
I'm Feeling Blue
303 Posts
I have the NBA Finals game recorded, but no SKIP badge appears. TE3, Roamio Pro.
I have the SKIP icon and chaptering is working for me on Game 1. Interesting as proof-of-concept, but I suspect there will be a rather wide range of opinions as to how and when it would be useful, if at all.

Or perhaps I'm wrong and everybody on TCF will be in complete agreement. ;)

·
tivo_xml developer
2,538 Posts

It has been suggested that it be used for more than just sports (as mentioned above, SNL is a good example). I know that throws off ad-detection efforts, but for most users, getting fast access to "interest points" in programs is potentially a big benefit. National magazine-style news shows, like 60 minutes or The Daily Show, where there are always several fairly distinct segments are another potential place where chapter marks would come in handy.

Might be time to explore adding a (simplistic) built-in segment editor gui to kmttg...pull skip data, then present the video (in thumbnail form...it doesn't really need to be a complete video player), and let users add/delete/move the skip markers as desired (maybe still shunting off the final/actual file editing step to comskip or videoredo). I'm sure even that would be a LOT of work, so I completely understand if it's not feasible for the kmttg project!

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Actually, I don’t want anyone to decide for me what is interesting or not. Why not just put extra ticks in for the “interesting” things rather than using skip? Leave skip for commercials. Which would work for sports too.

Or implement true bookmarks. Even allow us to put in our own. I had that on other boxes.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Anyone think this would be great for baseball? Skip to each segment where the ball is put into play, third strikes or ball four.
It's called "Condensed Games" and available as part of MLB.TV subscriptions about 90 mins after each game.
If TiVo tried to duplicate that, they might have to hire some additional (high attention span) people as there could be up to 15 games per day.

·
I am Groot!
63,231 Posts
Actually, I don't want anyone to decide for me what is interesting or not. Why not just put extra ticks in for the "interesting" things rather than using skip? Leave skip for commercials. Which would work for sports too.

Or implement true bookmarks. Even allow us to put in our own. I had that on other boxes.
It sounds like commercial skip will work exactly as it has. I.e., if you're at the beginning of a commercial break, hitting skip will take you to the end. The difference is now if you're NOT at the beginning of a commercial break, skip will take you to the next "interesting" point. (Or the end of the next commercial break, if nothing "interesting" happens in between.)

So it looks like win-win. If you want the new stuff, you have it; if you don't, you can just ignore it.

·
Registered
823 Posts
It sounds like commercial skip will work exactly as it has. I.e., if you're at the beginning of a commercial break, hitting skip will take you to the end. The difference is now if you're NOT at the beginning of a commercial break, skip will take you to the next "interesting" point. (Or the end of the next commercial break, if nothing "interesting" happens in between.)

So it looks like win-win. If you want the new stuff, you have it; if you don't, you can just ignore it.
What happens if you're using Autoskip? Seems like it will skip all the best moments along with the commercials.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.