TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Dr_Diablo
885 Posts
CrashHD said:
If I need to shut one down, I go into the menu to force it to reboot, and then I unplug it at the "Welcome, powering on" screen. Basically, I try to unplug it very early in the boot process, when if it's doing anything disk at all it should be reading it read-only still anyway.

This is almost certainly not necessary, but it's how I do it.
Too me that would be like rebooting a PC from the power switch then plugging the plug...

This is a design flaw/problem with Tivo, for it never shuts down... There should be an on/off switch...

Do you leave your home PC on 24/7 ?

· Dr_Diablo
885 Posts
jangelj said:
Yes, I leave my home PC on 24/7 (not 365...I do shut it down occassionally).

I know it is bad to pull the plug while it is recording, the problem is, it is ALWAYS recording the buffer. I was thinking about going into the settings where you can change the settings for how your sattelite box changes channels. When you go into that menu option you get a message that says "to access these settings, the recorder will cease all recording activity" or something to that effect. I am going to check and see if that includes recording the buffer. If so, maybe it is worth going into that setting and then pulling the plug?

Maybe I am WAYYYY overthinking this. But who can blame me. My last power outage completely fried my HD.

John
What a bummer, fried Tivo, how tasty ? JK...

I went out this weekend and purchased a combo surge protecter/battery backup unit...

What with having a plasma set, I didn't want to damage the tube by shutting down improperly from allowing cooling by the fan, not to mention having surge protection from any electicial spikes...

I can only guess, that shutting down the Tivo completely, should be done in "standby mode"... JMO

· Dr_Diablo
885 Posts
JasonRossSmith said:
Not that you likely "need" to but if you really want to be careful:

1) Go to Tivo Central
2) Select "Messages & Settings"
3) Select "Standby"

It doesn't really turn it "off" but is the best you could get without getting fancy, hacking, etc.
Makes perfect sence to me... That is the way I'd shut the device down, rather than to just unplug it...

I wouldn't think of pulling the plug while my PC was operating, so why should it be any different with the Tivo, isn't it a mini-PC as well?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.