TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the friendliest way to turn off a Tivo? I usually just pull the power cable, but I know that can corrupt a drive. Is there a better way? I want to remove my HD to do a backup but want to do it in the least invasive way possible :)

I know it sounds like a silly question (I have searched and didn't find an answer). But after my last HD crashed I am particularly cautious.

John

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dr_Diablo said:
Too me that would be like rebooting a PC from the power switch then plugging the plug...

This is a design flaw/problem with Tivo, for it never shuts down... There should be an on/off switch...

Do you leave your home PC on 24/7 ?
Yes, I leave my home PC on 24/7 (not 365...I do shut it down occassionally).

I know it is bad to pull the plug while it is recording, the problem is, it is ALWAYS recording the buffer. I was thinking about going into the settings where you can change the settings for how your sattelite box changes channels. When you go into that menu option you get a message that says "to access these settings, the recorder will cease all recording activity" or something to that effect. I am going to check and see if that includes recording the buffer. If so, maybe it is worth going into that setting and then pulling the plug?

Maybe I am WAYYYY overthinking this. But who can blame me. My last power outage completely fried my HD.

John

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mick66 said:
Just pull the plug.
A power outage is very different than you pulling the plug.
I'm not arguing, but I am wondering how it is different?

My "power outage" wasn't typical. The power went out at my house early in the AM. My UPS beeps when it is running on battery. After about 5 minutes, I figured the power wasn't coming on anytime soon, and since the tivo was not recording, I simply shut off the UPS. The beeping was going to wake the kids...nooooooo.

Now the tivo did come up and seemed fine, but the next day, while watching a recorded show, it shut down and started the reboot/GSOD cycle. It has the click of death. I have to think shutting down the tivo precipitated the HD failure.

Side note: dd_rescue found 60,000 errors. The HD is in the fridge now. I am going to cool it down and see if that helps.

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.