TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the friendliest way to turn off a Tivo? I usually just pull the power cable, but I know that can corrupt a drive. Is there a better way? I want to remove my HD to do a backup but want to do it in the least invasive way possible :)

I know it sounds like a silly question (I have searched and didn't find an answer). But after my last HD crashed I am particularly cautious.

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,642 Posts
Actually that is the only way to shut down tivo. I know for anyone who has used a computer that sounds ridiculous, but supposedly the tivo disk/file format is more foregiving of this type of interruption.

If you are super cautious, you could put it in stand-by first and make sure it is not recording anything.
 

·
I am the me.
Joined
·
820 Posts
If I need to shut one down, I go into the menu to force it to reboot, and then I unplug it at the "Welcome, powering on" screen. Basically, I try to unplug it very early in the boot process, when if it's doing anything disk at all it should be reading it read-only still anyway.

This is almost certainly not necessary, but it's how I do it.
 

·
Dr_Diablo
Joined
·
885 Posts
CrashHD said:
If I need to shut one down, I go into the menu to force it to reboot, and then I unplug it at the "Welcome, powering on" screen. Basically, I try to unplug it very early in the boot process, when if it's doing anything disk at all it should be reading it read-only still anyway.

This is almost certainly not necessary, but it's how I do it.
Too me that would be like rebooting a PC from the power switch then plugging the plug...

This is a design flaw/problem with Tivo, for it never shuts down... There should be an on/off switch...

Do you leave your home PC on 24/7 ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dr_Diablo said:
Too me that would be like rebooting a PC from the power switch then plugging the plug...

This is a design flaw/problem with Tivo, for it never shuts down... There should be an on/off switch...

Do you leave your home PC on 24/7 ?
Yes, I leave my home PC on 24/7 (not 365...I do shut it down occassionally).

I know it is bad to pull the plug while it is recording, the problem is, it is ALWAYS recording the buffer. I was thinking about going into the settings where you can change the settings for how your sattelite box changes channels. When you go into that menu option you get a message that says "to access these settings, the recorder will cease all recording activity" or something to that effect. I am going to check and see if that includes recording the buffer. If so, maybe it is worth going into that setting and then pulling the plug?

Maybe I am WAYYYY overthinking this. But who can blame me. My last power outage completely fried my HD.

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mick66 said:
Just pull the plug.
A power outage is very different than you pulling the plug.
I'm not arguing, but I am wondering how it is different?

My "power outage" wasn't typical. The power went out at my house early in the AM. My UPS beeps when it is running on battery. After about 5 minutes, I figured the power wasn't coming on anytime soon, and since the tivo was not recording, I simply shut off the UPS. The beeping was going to wake the kids...nooooooo.

Now the tivo did come up and seemed fine, but the next day, while watching a recorded show, it shut down and started the reboot/GSOD cycle. It has the click of death. I have to think shutting down the tivo precipitated the HD failure.

Side note: dd_rescue found 60,000 errors. The HD is in the fridge now. I am going to cool it down and see if that helps.

John
 

·
Dr_Diablo
Joined
·
885 Posts
jangelj said:
Yes, I leave my home PC on 24/7 (not 365...I do shut it down occassionally).

I know it is bad to pull the plug while it is recording, the problem is, it is ALWAYS recording the buffer. I was thinking about going into the settings where you can change the settings for how your sattelite box changes channels. When you go into that menu option you get a message that says "to access these settings, the recorder will cease all recording activity" or something to that effect. I am going to check and see if that includes recording the buffer. If so, maybe it is worth going into that setting and then pulling the plug?

Maybe I am WAYYYY overthinking this. But who can blame me. My last power outage completely fried my HD.

John
What a bummer, fried Tivo, how tasty ? JK...

I went out this weekend and purchased a combo surge protecter/battery backup unit...

What with having a plasma set, I didn't want to damage the tube by shutting down improperly from allowing cooling by the fan, not to mention having surge protection from any electicial spikes...

I can only guess, that shutting down the Tivo completely, should be done in "standby mode"... JMO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,254 Posts
Dr_Diablo said:
I can only guess, that shutting down the Tivo completely, should be done in "standby mode"... JMO
No. The optimum time to unplug a Tivo is at the Welcome screen, but it really doesn't matter.

The disk is still spinning/recording in standby, so it's no different unplugging the box in standby than any other time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Dr_Diablo said:
Too me that would be like rebooting a PC from the power switch then plugging the plug...

This is a design flaw/problem with Tivo, for it never shuts down... There should be an on/off switch...

Do you leave your home PC on 24/7 ?
I have three TiVos and I have been shutting down my TiVos by unplugging them ever since I've had them, going on 7 years now, and haven't had a problem yet.

And, yes, I do leave home without turning off my computers. They are also on 24/7 as well as my server.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,969 Posts
jangelj said:
Side note: dd_rescue found 60,000 errors. The HD is in the fridge now. I am going to cool it down and see if that helps.

John
The freezer works better and is quicker, if the HD is failed in that way. It just needs a few hours in the freezer. But put it in a Ziploc bag first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
578 Posts
A power outage is very different than you pulling the plug.
Loss of power to the Tivo is the same in both instances. How is this different in any way, unless there's a power spike at the moment just prior to an outage? Killing the circuit breaker is the same as pulling the plug or losing power due to an outage.
 

·
I am the me.
Joined
·
820 Posts
captain_video said:
Killing the circuit breaker is the same as pulling the plug
yes

captain_video said:
or losing power due to an outage.
no.

Outages are pretty commonly accompanied by surges and/or sags both in the moment of failure, and when the power is restored. They are usually not sufficient in magnitude to damage most appliances, but at the least they are not good, and it is not the same as turning off via switch/breaker/power cord.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,472 Posts
I usually find that when I need to pull the plug on my TiVo, it's because the darn thing has frozen up. Again. That's a Humax for you! My S2DT doesn't seem to have that problem, and I can't think of one time I've had to force a reboot by unplugging it. If I feel the need to reboot the S2DT, it's because I'm messing about with the network or T2G and then I restart the TiVo, not unplug it to reboot.
 

·
Dr_Diablo
Joined
·
885 Posts
JasonRossSmith said:
Not that you likely "need" to but if you really want to be careful:

1) Go to Tivo Central
2) Select "Messages & Settings"
3) Select "Standby"

It doesn't really turn it "off" but is the best you could get without getting fancy, hacking, etc.
Makes perfect sence to me... That is the way I'd shut the device down, rather than to just unplug it...

I wouldn't think of pulling the plug while my PC was operating, so why should it be any different with the Tivo, isn't it a mini-PC as well?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,472 Posts
Dr_Diablo said:
Makes perfect sence to me... That is the way I'd shut the device down, rather than to just unplug it...

I wouldn't think of pulling the plug while my PC was operating, so why should it be any different with the Tivo, isn't it a mini-PC as well?
But what do you do if your PC freezes up?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,423 Posts
Dr_Diablo said:
I wouldn't think of pulling the plug while my PC was operating, so why should it be any different with the Tivo, isn't it a mini-PC as well?
a TiVo is different -- it uses a different file system that can recover from sudden outages. Standard PC's running windows need the ability to commit files in memory before the shutting down.

The one and ONLY way to turn a tivo off is pull the plug.

Also, starting and stopping hard drives are much harder on them than long-term continual use.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top