TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Don't know much
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched this site and cannot find recommendations on what Series 2 DirecTiVo might be best. I purchased three DirecTiVo series one units four years ago. I love them.

I want to get one or more Series 2 units before DTV goes lease/oddball DVR etc.

It was a whole lot easier the first time with basically two choices. Sony or Phillips/Hughes. Now I see a whole bunch of brands and models.

My main reason for changing would be to get network connectivity, and any other "better" features from series 2. I will definitely upgrade harddrives and would probably consider "hacks" if I can ever figure out the arcane Linux command line. (I am basically a point and clicker/ cut and paster LOL).

Which Brands and models?

Our good friends Weaknees have Phillips DSR 7000's less harddrive for a steal. Is it networkable?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a Philips DSR7000 that I self-hacked, very easily from 3.x to 4.x and now to the latest 6.x release. They are definitely networkable.

Indeed, I just purchased a second DSR7000 (same weakness great deal) and will be putting it the bedroom just to use MRV to view the other, active, DirecTivo unit.

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
Technically, any Series two, other than the R10.

Aesthetically, I really like the Philips DSR7xx.

·
Photo Man
285 Posts
If would wouldn't mind a two year contract with DTV, value electronics had DVR80's. After the rebate from DTV, you'll be out the shipping. I bought one in December.

·
Banned
3,959 Posts
I have Hughes, Philips and Samsung units. If you plan to hack, the Samsung is nice because you don't need a torx driver to open it up and remove the hard drive.

·
Don't know much
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all.

I found the DSR704 has the same face panel appearance as my Phillips DVDR so I got four of those ordered.

And software from PTVUpgrade to help with bigger drives and hacks.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Jerry_K said:
Thanks to all.

I found the DSR704 has the same face panel appearance as my Phillips DVDR so I got four of those ordered.

And software from PTVUpgrade to help with bigger drives and hacks.
where did you ordered the DSR704 from? thanks

·
Don't know much
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got two off Ebay and two from PTVUpgrade.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Jerry_K said:
I got two off Ebay and two from PTVUpgrade.
I saw the PTVupgrade forum which has a thread about it, it costs $69 without the access card but is it eligible for the $100 rebate from Directv though? also, what does the access card cost from Directv? thanks

·
Don't know much
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I already have access cards. I believe DirecTV gets $20 for an access card. I am not going to do anything about a "rebate" which would add commitment to my contract since it appears that Tivo on DTV will go dead in a year or so. When that happens I want all my options open. There is no way I will use another "Dishplayer". I had so much trouble with that after they "fixed" the software that I ditched Dish for DTV. Now that my lovely wife has had Tivo, "DTVplayer" would cause my imminent demise. She couldn't use the Dishplayer if someone held a gun to her head and threatened to pull the trigger. The DirecTivo came, I got it installed, got the two tuner software, handed her the peanut and said press this anytime and press this now and then. The select button and I have never been able to record what I want on our main DirecTivo because she has 109 Season Passes and records a bunch of other stuff from time to time.

·
MRV Junkie
388 Posts
I plan on having all of my receivers being Samsung SIR-S4xxxRs eventually. All three Samsungs are the same, except for the size of the hard disks, which would be replaced anyway. Besides, the InstantCake and PTVNet images I bought are for Samsungs. :)

There is no way I will use another "Dishplayer".
If you still have the Dish DVR, pull the hard disk and use it in a DirecTiVo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts