TiVo Community Forum banner
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Mostly lurking
2,146 Posts
I've watched the 2 episodes in this new tournament, but I'm just not enjoying it as much as I used to. I don't know if I'm just getting tired of it, or if most of the matches just aren't that exciting. Anyone else experiencing something similar?

·
Registered
795 Posts
We are really enjoying this competition, and were completely shocked and impressed with Ribbot's performance. When he first appeared a couple(?) seasons ago, we thought it was just a joke bot; IIRC he didn't do well that first season. The plastic topper getting decimated every fight is hilarious. Also interesting that every fight he has won (except for one on this episode) has been a KO. Didn't expect him to advance to the champion circle, and am looking forward to seeing him up against those powerhouses.

·
Meh.
43,270 Posts
It seems incredibly unfair that the "gatekeeper" bot only has to fight one battle while its opponent has to fight three times just to get to it. It hasn't worked out too well for the gatekeepers so far though. They seem to have picked the gatekeeper bots simply based on reputation.

Pain Train looks like a mini bot compared to some of the others. Its owners/engineers need to put it on bot steroids.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,729 Posts
It seems incredibly unfair that the "gatekeeper" bot only has to fight one battle while its opponent has to fight three times just to get to it. It hasn't worked out too well for the gatekeepers so far though. They seem to have picked the gatekeeper bots simply based on reputation.

Pain Train looks like a mini bot compared to some of the others. Its owners/engineers need to put it on bot steroids.
I guess it's based on reputation and popularity? I don't know. It's interesting how they have set up this tourney. I personally couldn't care less about the tourney and who wins per se. I just enjoy the fights. The missile /projectile thingy that knocked of Ribbot;s plastic skin was interesting and different. The problem is that if it was aimed correctly it could have completely destroyed the Ribbot, but it wasn't so it survived. Kudos for trying something different.

·
Registered
20,935 Posts
I guess it's based on reputation and popularity? I don't know. It's interesting how they have set up this tourney. I personally couldn't care less about the tourney and who wins per se. I just enjoy the fights. The missile /projectile thingy that knocked of Ribbot;s plastic skin was interesting and different. The problem is that if it was aimed correctly it could have completely destroyed the Ribbot, but it wasn't so it survived. Kudos for trying something different.
I'm not sure one hit actually could have destroyed a BattleBot; especially not a very robust one like Ribbot. Like all the weapons it has to be low enough energy that it doesn't risk breaching the Battle Box's Lexan walls - that means its impact energy probably can't be higher than any of the big spinners. Actually a quick check of the rules shows that per section 8.g no external moving part of the robot including projectiles can exceed 370 ft./sec.

So Double Jeopardy's cannon throws a 5 lbs projectile, limited to no more than 370 ft./sec, while a spinner could have an 80 lbs bar with that same tip speed. That bar is going to have a lot more kinetic energy than the projectile! (Though don't get me wrong, a 5 lbs mass moving a 370 ft./sec has a significant fraction of the kinetic energy of a .50 caliber machine gun round -- though spread over a much larger area. So it's not insignificant -- but it's still far less than what a spinner is allowed to deliver)

It certainly looked impressive when the cannon blew away Ribbot's cosmetic shell, though that looked to me to be as much from the blast of compressed air as the projectile itself. The 5 lbs projectile looked to have hit the upper part of Ribbot's forward armor plow and deflected away doing basically nothing.

Now it's possible that a hit to the bot's less protected sides might have done more damage -- but I'd still be surprised if Double Jeopardy's weapon could one-hit KO most BattleBots; no matter where it hit them.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
If you think it's unfair the gatekeeper has to fight one bot, then what about the 3 automatic entries? They fought zero bots and are already in the competition.

There are going to be 8 entrants, 3 were automatically picked, the last 5 are being fought for. with 40 bots and 5 gatekeepers.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
The gatekeepers haven't fared well anyway. With two spots left, I can see Whiplash, Sawblaze or Witch Doctor as possible gate keepers. Any other possibilities?

·
Registered
20,935 Posts
The gatekeepers haven't fared well anyway. With two spots left, I can see Whiplash, Sawblaze or Witch Doctor as possible gate keepers. Any other possibilities?
Maybe Minotaur?
Or possibly Hydra; but it's had enough reliability problems that it might get relegated to the field if it's in (rather than being granted gate keeper status).

(It would be funny if zero of the gatekeepers made it into the final bracket)

·
Premium Member
10,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Maybe Minotaur?
Or possibly Hydra; but it's had enough reliability problems that it might get relegated to the field if it's in (rather than being granted gate keeper status).

(It would be funny if zero of the gatekeepers made it into the final bracket)
So far, they're 0 for 3 attempts. If would be indeed be funny if they made it 0:5.

That last episode could be entertaining on many levels....

·
Señor Member
81,833 Posts
I kept on saying to my kids that Glitch would do better without the forks. And once they lost them, they were much better against UpperCut. But I did not expect to see the last performance! It they fix their reliability and drive next year (it may be as simple as better wheels), they may rise in my personal rankings from "lucky fluke" to actual contender.

·
Registered
20,935 Posts
We both overlooked Skorpios (who broke the losing streak of gatekeepers).
And I see Whiplash is in the field for this final week of qualifier; so they're out as the final gatekeeper.

This week's field is: perfect phoenix vs. subzero, overhaul vs. black dragon, whiplash vs. hijinx, ghost raptor vs. captain shrederator.
But I guess we'll see Thursday if either of us guessed the final gate keeper. :D

·
Meh.
43,270 Posts
The problem with this play-in tournament format is that half the battles suck and they're forced to air those matches because they don't have any potential better "dark" matches to substitute in.

Captain Schrederator - another one of those bots that make me wonder "Why?". It almost never wins. It's like the Jacksonville Jaguars of Battle Bots.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,729 Posts
We both overlooked Skorpios (who broke the losing streak of gatekeepers).
And I see Whiplash is in the field for this final week of qualifier; so they're out as the final gatekeeper.

This week's field is: perfect phoenix vs. subzero, overhaul vs. black dragon, whiplash vs. hijinx, ghost raptor vs. captain shrederator.
But I guess we'll see Thursday if either of us guessed the final gate keeper. :D
Turned out to be Witch Doctor (one of my favorites) who actually won. Some good matches this week. Whiplash dominated the week and almost looked like they would beat Witch Doctor too, but a great battle of drivers had Witch Doctor just a little more powerful.

One week to go.

·
Registered
20,935 Posts
And it's over. Some good matches.
Also - I'm happy because I thought I'd gotten spoiled on the result; but the robot I had been given to believe won it got knocked out first match; so I got to spend most of the episode happily back to having no idea how it would all turn out.

·
Meh.
43,270 Posts
Witch Doctor wins the "Close But No Cigar" medal again.

Tombstone is a scary bot when it goes out of control.

End Game doesn't look that menacing but it packs a powerful punch.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,729 Posts
End Game is incredibly well built, but has a boring design. But it has a strong weapon and is built well enough that it can play a pretty good defense.

Tombstone is a bot that other bot builders have figured out how to beat. I do wonder if Ray will finally build a new bot or if he will just remain a mentor and his bot building days are behind it.

I'm always a fan of Witch Doctor, but I just knew End Game was going to win in the end, just based on the first comment.

It was wondering how they were going to fill 2 hours, but as I expected lots of fluff, and lots to skip. Got through it all in about an hour.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts