TiVo Community Forum banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,387 Posts
I was looking at my DVR the other day for upcoming recordings (as it's the summer, there isn't much), and noticed there's a couple of Battlebots episodes starting up next week...interestingly enough on TBS!!! I have no idea if these are new (the 2022 season) or if they are repeats of this past season as their wasn't much of a guide description, but it looks like BB is on the move again. I'm sure this is a result of the WB/Discover merger and them wanting to put this on a more prominent network that seems to be more and more pushing game shows. I can't remember the last time TBS had a scripted show (well maybe it was that awful show Chad, which got cancelled right before airtime last week).

·
Mostly lurking
2,135 Posts
I have Spectrum and my guide data shows it's an episode from 6/2015. It'll probably be interesting to see how much the robots have changed since then.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,387 Posts
So much for Spectrum's guide data. This match was the round of 16 from the most recent season. People wearing masks in the audience was the first hint.
Looking ahead to my upcoming recordings, looks like next week the new season starts on Discovery. I think it's Aug 4th. Looking forward to it!

·
Premium Member
10,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
[ Note, this is not Season *7 of battlebots, but a second spin of the Desperado tournament, following the same format. I think this thread will do, as it's part of the same "season" 6, but if the consensus is to move to a new thread, well, someone start one. ;) ]

BattleBots Champions air schedule:

August 4 @ 8:00 pm-10:00 pm - BattleBots Champions Episode 01 (Discovery)
August 11 @ 8:00 pm-10:00 pm - BattleBots Champions Episode 02 (Discovery)
August 18 @ 8:00 pm-10:00 pm - BattleBots Champions Episode 03 (Discovery)
August 25 @ 8:00 pm-10:00 pm - BattleBots Champions Episode 04 (Discovery)
September 1 @ 8:00 pm-10:00 pm - BattleBots Champions Episode 05 (Discovery)
September 8 @ 8:00 pm-10:00 pm - BattleBots Champions Episode 06 (Discovery)

List including each "Staring Bot" (If you consider this a spoiler, be aware it's in the episode description on the Tivo as well)

August 4 @ 8:00 pm-10:00 pm - BattleBots Champions Episode 01 (Discovery) - Gigabyte
August 11 @ 8:00 pm-10:00 pm - BattleBots Champions Episode 02 (Discovery) - Lock-Jaw
August 18 @ 8:00 pm-10:00 pm - BattleBots Champions Episode 03 (Discovery) - Rotator
August 25 @ 8:00 pm-10:00 pm - BattleBots Champions Episode 04 (Discovery) - Skorpios
September 1 @ 8:00 pm-10:00 pm - BattleBots Champions Episode 05 (Discovery) - Witch Doctor
September 8 @ 8:00 pm-10:00 pm - BattleBots Champions Episode 06 (Discovery) - Finals

Discovery is running a marathon of last season (at least) leading up to Aug 4th, and at least my Tivo isn't tagging all the episode as reruns correctly, so like always, there may be a flood of old episodes in all our Now Playing lists. But on Thursday there should be one new one in there. (Mine so far is scheduling the new episodes properly.)

* No matter how you number the seasons, and there are lots of valid ways. Last season was clearly marketed as "Season 6" by Discovery, a number I think they just made up. Tivo's are listing this as a continuation of Season 6. ;)

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,387 Posts
I didn't watch last night but our DirecTV Guide showed two S6 episodes (in 20 something episode numbers) and then S6 E16 for the "Champions" episode. So it's really weird numbering. Just clarifying that that this E16 is brand spanking new.

·
Premium Member
10,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I wonder if they're going to have to upgrade the lexan the battlebox is made of again, or maybe raise the roof again. The amount of kinetic energy involved in bot collisions is starting to become insane. (Well, more insane...)

I really liked when Hypershock just casually ran over a mini-bot, and it went, up. (Where did that bot go? It went, up...). I'm curious how high up it went, it was out of frame for a nontrivial amount of time...

·
Meh.
42,833 Posts
Hypershock kicked some serious butt. The non-Hypershock matches were duds.

Why is Duck still around? Durability is its only virtue. You'd think its owner(s) and engineer(s) would wise up and build another bot with an aggressive kinetic energy weapon instead of a box whose only offensive tactic is to try to break the opponent's weapon with its face. Duck is basically just canon fodder whose win percentage has to be below the Mendoza line.

·
Premium Member
10,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
And yet, Duck was the only one to survive to the end and force a decision.
And is a fan faviorate. While it's win:loss ratio isn't impressive, it has had some pretty impressive wins. Breaking your opponents weapon on your face can work, can be fun, and can be entertaining. Just not always ;).

(And the primary weapon rule kinda screwed Duck this season. The forced addition of a more active primary weapon increased a lot of fragility).

If Duck weren't retiring, I'd say the biggest thing it needs to attend to is it's wheels. They do get chopped off with unfortunate frequency.

·
Meh.
42,833 Posts
I recognize that Duck is a fan favorite but BattleBots is a competition and Duck is basically a souped up, square Roomba. What's the point of entering a bot that has an even less chance of winning the tournament than the Jacksonville Jaguars have of winning the Super Bowl?

I know nothing about the financials of the show. I assume that building and maintaining the bots is very expensive. Are entrants paid by the show? Do they have to pay the show? Is it just free advertisements for the firms that donate materials and guidance to the bot builders?

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,387 Posts
The match between Hypershock and Madcatter was epic. First the good natured taunting between the two teams was so much fun. Then the amount of carnage inflicted in on both robots was impressive. In the end Hypershock was just too much.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
And is a fan faviorate. While it's win:loss ratio isn't impressive, it has had some pretty impressive wins. Breaking your opponents weapon on your face can work, can be fun, and can be entertaining. Just not always ;).

(And the primary weapon rule kinda screwed Duck this season. The forced addition of a more active primary weapon increased a lot of fragility).
Is that why Duck's design changed? Because, yeah, that new split bill lifter is a lot less durable than its old design (the liftable armor plate with the bill attached to it).

Watching the split bill get torn off most every fight gives the impression of a less robust robot. (Plus, it simply can't lift bots as high as the old design; so Duck's essentially forfeited any chance of tipping an opponent onto its side or back)

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Pretty much that. Battlebots wanted a primary weapon and Duck had to comply. After all, Duck's primary weapon was basically just trying to ram into its opponent until they break. I guess it's sort of cheating because you could spend your weight into making a robust robot if you eliminate the need for a more traditional offensive weapon.

I'm guessing it had to be a functional weapon as well in that you couldn't just put a spike on the robot and call it a weapon - it had to be something you actually used.

Remember that rule came about during a rather contentious bit involving I think Son of Whyachi and Huge where SoW implemented a big cow catcher thing to basically trap Huge in a corner and run out the clock rather than actually have SoW run its main weapon and go up in a more traditional fight. Most boring 3 minutes of Battlebots ever.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
Pretty much that. Battlebots wanted a primary weapon and Duck had to comply. After all, Duck's primary weapon was basically just trying to ram into its opponent until they break. I guess it's sort of cheating because you could spend your weight into making a robust robot if you eliminate the need for a more traditional offensive weapon.

I'm guessing it had to be a functional weapon as well in that you couldn't just put a spike on the robot and call it a weapon - it had to be something you actually used.

Remember that rule came about during a rather contentious bit involving I think Son of Whyachi and Huge where SoW implemented a big cow catcher thing to basically trap Huge in a corner and run out the clock rather than actually have SoW run its main weapon and go up in a more traditional fight. Most boring 3 minutes of Battlebots ever.
Though I'm not sure why Duck's old design was considered to have less of a primary weapon than lifter bots (at least the non-grabbing ones). It's old bill was on that armor plate which was on arms so it could pivot up to at least 90 degrees. It was capable of potentially tipping over bots with that bill/arm combo -- and that's about all a lifter like, say, Gruff can do. (Gruff's flamethrowers, while spectacular, are AFAIK not counted as a primary weapon)

Heck, that armor+bill combo was more effective at lifting bots that the new split bill is!

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Yeah, but Duck doesn't generally use that bill to attack enemies - it just had a side effect of being useful.

Remember the rule was instituted because of SoW vs. Huge last season where SoW's "weapon" was a cow catcher cage, not their spinner. So you had to have a primary weapon, and you have to actually use it - you cannot "win" by simply using a defensive weapon against an opponent - you must show you attack with your weapon. Hence the rather useless lifting bill on Duck.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts