TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
SubZero is really off their flipping game. I think they rebuilt the flipper and they just can't get the timing right.

Cobolt of course had a really good hit on Ghost Raptor

IceWave had a good showing. They're usually pretty devastating, but have had some bad fights recently, so it's nice to see them back up to full speed.

Blip has turned out to be a pretty wicked little flipper.

I really like Hugh. It's silly, but it's unique, and often underestimated. The current incarnation really packs a whallop.

Copperhead was just copperhead - and if you play too much with copperheads drum, you're going to have a bad day.

Main fight was actually the most boring, lots of meh.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
I've never seen that kind of structural transformation before on Battlebots. Ghost Raptor disintegrating from a robot into a pile of rubble in an instant.
I know I've seen a couple other bots get split in half before. Huge in its IIRC first season comes to mind.
But it's a real risk with those U shaped bots because that shape simply can't be as strong as a closed box.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
SubZero is really off their flipping game. I think they rebuilt the flipper and they just can't get the timing right.
And those flip attempts were so late they seem like they're more than just poor operator timing. I wonder if that's a mechanical issue within the bot causing slow / unreliable activation or a problem with their control link where the bot isn't getting and understanding the commands in a timely manner.

·
Registered
26,307 Posts
The incorrect 3 hour program lengths are annoying.. and sometimes they get fixed, and sometimes they don't.
also, missing episode # for many episodes.. (Why tivo can't have a script running over all of the guide data to point out things like missing episode #s for any show or "network name programming" amazes me.. I'd even pay a tiny bit more for much more accurate data.)

·
Under Maintenance
26,675 Posts
The incorrect 3 hour program lengths are annoying.. and sometimes they get fixed, and sometimes they don't.
also, missing episode # for many episodes.. (Why tivo can't have a script running over all of the guide data to point out things like missing episode #s for any show or "network name programming" amazes me.. I'd even pay a tiny bit more for much more accurate data.)
You're definitely better off watching Battlebots on the Discovery App. My TiVo has it all screwed up too.

·
Premium Member
10,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
tivo it.. watch actual fight segments at normal speed.. everything else at 1.9x.
Just due to a quirk in scheduling, on Thursdays I tend to sit down in front of the TV just after 8pm. I see it's on, and figure I'll watch it since it's 'on' now. I regret it every time. ;)

·
Registered
26,307 Posts
You're definitely better off watching Battlebots on the Discovery App. My TiVo has it all screwed up too.
that's only for discovery+ subscribers I presume? and AFAIK, no streaming lets you view faster than realtime.. I realize it's an edge case, and most people probably don't do that.. but just like I listen to podcasts at 2x (the vast majority of the time.. slowing down only if it's a hard to understand accent or something, still usually listen faster than 1x), most non-scripted stuff I watch sped up, especially things like this that are delineated into "performance" (i.e. the fights, or the songs on something like The Voice, but I FF through most of that, only listening to snippets of most songs!), and the discussion.

but being able to speed up (especially after the leak about speeding up BEYOND the default 1.3x QuickPlay) is a huge benefit to me... and one of the reasons I can't imagine going 100% streaming (at least until CableCards are no longer supported.. then I will give up on cable).

·
Under Maintenance
26,675 Posts
that's only for discovery+ subscribers I presume? and AFAIK, no streaming lets you view faster than realtime.. I realize it's an edge case, and most people probably don't do that.. but just like I listen to podcasts at 2x (the vast majority of the time.. slowing down only if it's a hard to understand accent or something, still usually listen faster than 1x), most non-scripted stuff I watch sped up, especially things like this that are delineated into "performance" (i.e. the fights, or the songs on something like The Voice, but I FF through most of that, only listening to snippets of most songs!), and the discussion.

but being able to speed up (especially after the leak about speeding up BEYOND the default 1.3x QuickPlay) is a huge benefit to me... and one of the reasons I can't imagine going 100% streaming (at least until CableCards are no longer supported.. then I will give up on cable).
Agree. TiVo is still the best way to watch the Olympics too. The Peacock App is a mess. I’ll give TiVo up only when I am forced to.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Oh wow, it looks like Discovery Canada is on the same week for Battlebots. Usually we're two weeks behind. Unless you're all talking about a two week old episode just to throw me off :).

I just watch it skipping ads. Nothing else to watch and I'm usually surfing other forums or eating, so it's either watch Battlebots in "near real time" or end up having to watch whatever's on live TV.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,387 Posts
Yep, this show is the perfect "made for TiVo (or DVR)" show because of the amount of filler. We usually skip the "in the pits" stuff, or the background stuff, and we skip most of the last half hour because they setup the last fight, go to ad, have in the pits or interviews, go to commercial, then more setup, more ads, and THEN the fight. I don't know why they do that? And often the main event isn't even the best fight.

Best thing about BB in our house is that my wife constantly won't admit she likes the show, yet always watches with us and comments on the fights. To me this is her guilty pleasure show. And when Ghost Raptor got torn apart, she was in the kitchen and made us rewind so she can see! Not that it wasn't worth a rewind anyway, but it's funny how she won't admit she likes the show, yet you can tell she does.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Remember when the show was 1 hour long, had 4 side fights and 1 main fight? Now it's twice as long, but they didn't double up - they only added 3 more side fights. Gives 2 fight's worth of extra filler and ads.

But yeah, it's like NASCAR and other car races. No one watches it to see cars going around in circles We all watch it to see the crashes.

·
Reticulating Splines
8,216 Posts
I'm finally caught up on season 6. I didn't see any talk about the Mammoth - Tombstone fight. Wow, a double knockout? That was unexpected! Tombstone is not doing well this season.

I had no idea this was being filmed in Vegas. I would have attended had I known! Hopefully next season will be filmed here too.

·
Registered
26,307 Posts
Best thing about BB in our house is that my wife constantly won't admit she likes the show, yet always watches with us and comments on the fights. To me this is her guilty pleasure show. And when Ghost Raptor got torn apart, she was in the kitchen and made us rewind so she can see! Not that it wasn't worth a rewind anyway, but it's funny how she won't admit she likes the show, yet you can tell she does.
That was the most impressive completely falling apart I've seen on this show.

·
Registered
26,307 Posts
Remember when the show was 1 hour long, had 4 side fights and 1 main fight? Now it's twice as long, but they didn't double up - they only added 3 more side fights. Gives 2 fight's worth of extra filler and ads.
oh there were 5? OK.. I had (mis-)remembered this post when watching the last couple of eps. I was thinking it was 4 vs 7 on the hour long eps.. but it's really 5 on old hour vs 7 on these two hour eps? then that really is a drastic reduction.

I do see them mention unaired matches sometimes. I know, maybe it wouldn't be all that entertaining, but I wish they'd put those online, even in (my term) "minimally edited" form.
I mean, you'd have to show the appropriate info from various angles, etc.. but way less produced than the regular shows. I mean, we've seen a couple of shown matches last a VERY short amount of time, so a short match isn't necessarily the reason it wouldn't be entertaining online.

For last night's episode, the first match was probably the most entertaining. The one that won was CLEARLY the winner, but the loser put up an entertaining fight after its main weapon was completely torn off very early.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,387 Posts
Tourney started. Some really good matches. I was disappointed to see that Glitch had a "glitch" and couldn't fight Witch Doctor which would have been a fun match. It was weird seeing the replacement put in as the 9 seed when it didn't even make the original 34 (32 plus the two play ins). Didn't matter, Witch Doctor tore it apart.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
Tourney started. Some really good matches. I was disappointed to see that Glitch had a "glitch" and couldn't fight Witch Doctor which would have been a fun match. It was weird seeing the replacement put in as the 9 seed when it didn't even make the original 34 (32 plus the two play ins). Didn't matter, Witch Doctor tore it apart.
I get putting Mammoth in that 9th seed's slot. If they gave it a bottom seed then it should have faced End Game and then seeds 10-32 shift up a spot; and now most of the bracket is having to scramble to adjust strategy and equipment thanks to that last moment switch of opponents. (Well, except for the ones who'd already fought before Glitch's prep-time expired)

So yeah, least disruptive thing to do is bring it in as a direct alternate; but still I'd have expected the bracket graphic to have changed the "9" to something like "Sub" or "Alt" when they changed "Glitch" to "Mammoth".

·
Registered
26,307 Posts
I really don't know how "seeding" works.. and do other "real sports" do the "extra face-off to see if you're actually going to get in the main tournament"? (I think they did two of them this time)

21 - 40 of 82 Posts