TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now am using a Terk TV-55 and it does pretty well. On occasion I have a little trouble so I want a good outdoor antenna. I've done the research on antennweb.org. I'm only about 15 miles away from the sources so most any aplified outdoor antenna seems like it should do the job ok.

I'm wanting to buy what will work but spend as little as needed to get the job done. Is there any to simply stay away from? I'd like to stay as small as possible. Shape is not a real key issue.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Jim Abbett said:
I now am using a Terk TV-55 and it does pretty well. On occasion I have a little trouble so I want a good outdoor antenna. I've done the research on antennweb.org. I'm only about 15 miles away from the sources so most any aplified outdoor antenna seems like it should do the job ok.

I'm wanting to buy what will work but spend as little as needed to get the job done. Is there any to simply stay away from? I'd like to stay as small as possible. Shape is not a real key issue.

Thanks in advance.
You need to fill out your profile so we know what city you are in to give you accurate antenna advice. Terk antennas are very poor performers. Assuming the DIGITAL broadcast of your local channels are in the upper VHF band or UHF band, the Channel Master 4221 or 4228 work great. See this link:

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I'm from Indy. The channels I am looking to pick up are 6, 8, 13, 20 and 59.

An attic install is not real practical for me. I'm trying to keep the overall size of the antenna as small as possible but still perform well. I do live in a subdivision and I know they can't legally say anything but....

The antenna I have now should have read "Terk TV-5".

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Those are probably the analog channel numbers. Check out antennaweb.org to find out the actual channel numbers that they use for digital broadcasts. For example, in my area analog channel 2's digital channel is 34, channel 4's digital channel is 34 etc. Since all the digital broadcasts are in the UHF band in my area, I was able to get great reception using a small UHF antenna, the Channel Master 4221. Also, at 15 miles you should not need an amplified antenna. I am 16 miles away and my attic antenna works great. A roof install is even better for reception.

·
HD evangelist
3,604 Posts
Jim Abbett said:
... I'm only about 15 miles away from the sources so most any aplified outdoor antenna seems like it should do the job ok...
One would tend to think so, but the reality is that multipath interference can completely prevent reception on the best antenna you can buy from only 5 miles away, if the terrain conditions are bad enough. Or you could get perfect reception at 20 miles using a paperclip, under perfect conditions. The trick is to try to predict what will work best based on frequency, power, azimuth, and terrain, but to also be ready to upgrade if it doesn't work as good as you hope, because you won't really know until you try it.

You have a general feel for your situation based on the Terk's performance, and are obviously not at either end of the two extreme examples. I would just bite the bullet and shell out $50 for a 4228 (assuming no real channels are below channel 7). You can't have too much antenna, and the best is affordable. You could go half-way and get something smaller or less-directional, but where will you be when that isn't enough to do the job?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts