TiVo Community Forum banner
81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
No, they would run all of a season EXCEPT the last five or so episodes, then hold those back until the new season was about to begin.
Yeah, I do recall them doing that now. I was thinking they were only showing the last few episodes from the previous season to get you caught up. I can only assume that they had to pre-empt the show in their time slot for local sporting events and such and just didn't have enough weeks available to do a full rerun of the previous season. They did 22 episodes in each of the five seasons they were on the air so they would need 44 weeks to run the series twice. Lots of shows get pre-empted during the Christmas and Thanksgiving holidays plus unscheduled news reports and such that screw up the schedule.

·
I am Groot!
64,305 Posts
Tonight I finally finished my re-watch on HBO Max. Despite the flaws of the fifth season, the last few episodes were quite nice. Sappy and sentimental, but in a good way.

I look forward to seeing what JMS can do with it in the 21st century.

·
UHD Addict
24,271 Posts
Yeah, for all its ahead-of-its-time brilliance (of which there was a lot), there were also some pretty deep flaws. One was that it was a cheap-looking show...it didn't look as cheap as it actually was, which is a tribute, but it still looked pretty cheap. Much of the cast was, shall we say, not first-rate...especially for the human characters. And while JMS had a genius for Big Picture writing, his moment-to-moment stuff was often quite weak (his view of human relationships, e.g., often seemed kinda...junior-high).

Having a modern budget and modern FX should easily solve the first problem, and the second as well since they'll be able to hire the best available actors. As for the third, you're right...a writers' room that can lean on JMS's strengths and paper over his weaknesses would be a necessity.
It's on the CW right? Every show on there is low budget. And the effects show it.

Sent from my Galaxy S21

·
I am Groot!
64,305 Posts
It's on the CW right? Every show on there is low budget. And the effects show it.
But compared to B5, they're all Kubrick movies (visually).

It's amazing how FX and basic production values have evolved over the past 30 years, to the point where just about anything that's done today blows what was state of the art back then out of the water.

·
UHD Addict
24,271 Posts

It's amazing how FX and basic production values have evolved over the past 30 years, to the point where just about anything that's done today blows what was state of the art back then out of the water.
I would say the bigger budget shows are much better. But the CW shows? Many of those special effects are pretty bad.

·
Just Plain Awesome
4,300 Posts

I don't think B5 was state of the art even in the 90's, it used a fairly innovative CGI to reduce the cost of using models like Star Trek. But watching Star Trek DS9 today, it holds up well, B5 does not production wise. The only thing that bothered me about DS9 was they never got the scale right on the model used for the station itself.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
But compared to B5...
Yeah. I've seen TV shows with CGI that was so bad it was laughable. Most of the DC/CW shows are passable for TV. I'm not sure why they're being criticized so highly considering the tight budget constraints I'm sure they have to deal with plus the number of special effects that are created for each episode. They're good enough not to distract you from the entertainment value they create. Heck, most of them would be considered state of the art if they were done back in the B5 era.

·
Now with flavor!
2,245 Posts
I would say the bigger budget shows are much better. But the CW shows? Many of those special effects are pretty bad.
I would characterize them as "TV Budget" shows. Even 90s Trek was "TV Budget" but they still squeezed every penny and those VFX still hold up today.

Now certain flagship shows have "cinematic" budgets. Mandalorian, GoT, Discovery, Stranger Things. Just not sure if a CW B5 reboot would fall into that basket. (otherwise they would've launched it on HBOMAX)

·
Time for a new Title
28,042 Posts
Some of the CW Arrowverse stuff is pretty bad. It's good compared to late 90's B5, but I wouldn't say it's great compared to it.

What I'd love to see JMS do (if this comes to pass) is spend as much money as possible on sets--real and virtual extensions. The thing that really stands out (badly) to me re-watching old episodes isn't the space FX. It's the interior shots. The corridor that was used for EVERYTHING, with the bad painting at the end of it to try to give the impression of curvature. The White Star bridge had a "the soundstage they filmed every 60's Batman scene on" feel to it. Secondary sets were often just temporary walls with curtains (like anything on Centauri Prime). Even C&C, while OK by late 90's standards, doesn't hold up.

If they can visually give me the scale of a 5 mile long space station, I'll be a little forgiving on space shots.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Considering the state of CGI and TV budgets back then, the sets for B5 were pretty decent. At least they weren't using a long folding table with a curtain for a background as the set for the bridge on B5 (a la Plan 9 From Outer Space).

·
wait.. I did what?
15,088 Posts
Some of the CW Arrowverse stuff is pretty bad. It's good compared to late 90's B5, but I wouldn't say it's great compared to it.
Yeah, when they're massaging via set extensions the Arrowverse shows do well, even adding effects to the existing actors has gotten better, but where they always seem to fall down are the aliens, I remember how laughably bad the Dominators were in earlier seasons. (I think that's the alien race in the early crossovers)

·
Substantive Member
12,304 Posts
Considering the state of CGI and TV budgets back then, the sets for B5 were pretty decent. At least they weren't using a long folding table with a curtain for a background as the set for the bridge on B5 (a la Plan 9 From Outer Space).
They did shop at Ikea a lot.

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
So yesterday, JMS was a very busy boy on Twitter and dropped a couple of bombshells one was very noticed, and the other one, ehhh not so much.

Those of us who have been subscribers to Joe's Patreon page knew about the secret B5 project since April of 2021 and no it's not the B5 reboot for CW. That was known as B5-B.

B5-A we know nothing about aside from what JMS tweeted and that it involves all of the remaining cast and began production in early 2021.

Here's his tweet.

The other bombshell at least to me was this: He's had the ability to write a Rising Stars pilot on spec and it is going to be shopped around!

So it appears 2023 will be a very good year for us B5 fans assumming that the reboot gets picked up. And with the CW cutting shows they are going to need new material to show so it looks good for that. I've heard rumors that talks around the reboot are starting up again now that the dust has settled from the CW sale.

·
UHD Addict
24,271 Posts
Of course, since Warner Brothers in involved. They could decide to shelve it and take a tax write off.

Reactions: Fl_Gulfer
81 - 100 of 107 Posts