TiVo Community Forum banner
61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Exactly, the series covers that.

On the other hand, as we got towards the end of S1, I did say it was obvious the sequel to B5 was going to be "Babylon 4", after the Babylon Squared episode.

They could always hijack B4 again to some other time.
Funny you should say this. I'm not sure if you're aware of JMS' original plan for the series. He 1st released it in a bonus volume of the script books put out by Cafepress years ago.

In the original plan When B5 is destroyed at the end of the series it's be cause Sinclair (he stays throughout the series), Delenn, and their son are being hunted by everyone for various reasons. The series ends on a cliffhanger and with the Shadows and their allies having won and are now in control.

This leads into the sequel series to be called Babylon Prime. They steal B4 and bring it to the future to be used as a base in the Shadow war. Sinclair never becomes Valen (and Valen is never even mentioned in the outline). and begin to form an alliance and work to defeat the shadows and clear Sinclair's name.

There's more to it than that obviously. Here's a link that gives a synopsis of a synopsis if you will: Babylon 5: the original plan - At Sister Love's - Norman T. Ray

·
Now with flavor!
2,245 Posts
I'm mildly concerned that my expectations will be unrealistically high. I have such fond memories of B5:
My memories of B5 haven't held up over time. Some of those episodes didn't age well in 20+ years, I had issues re-watching after 10 years. And my five DVD sets have been accumulated with dust (or what ever counts as digital dust in PLEX)

I just hope he doesn't do it alone like last time. Babylon 5 needs a fully-filled writing staff, not just JMS.

CW has fronted more genre-based TV shows than any other network. But it still needs an anchor show. That's what makes me nervous about CW.

·
I am Groot!
64,305 Posts
My memories of B5 haven't held up over time. Some of those episodes didn't age well in 20+ years, I had issues re-watching after 10 years. And my five DVD sets have been accumulated with dust (or what ever counts as digital dust in PLEX)

I just hope he doesn't do it alone like last time. Babylon 5 needs a fully-filled writing staff, not just JMS.
Yeah, for all its ahead-of-its-time brilliance (of which there was a lot), there were also some pretty deep flaws. One was that it was a cheap-looking show...it didn't look as cheap as it actually was, which is a tribute, but it still looked pretty cheap. Much of the cast was, shall we say, not first-rate...especially for the human characters. And while JMS had a genius for Big Picture writing, his moment-to-moment stuff was often quite weak (his view of human relationships, e.g., often seemed kinda...junior-high).

Having a modern budget and modern FX should easily solve the first problem, and the second as well since they'll be able to hire the best available actors. As for the third, you're right...a writers' room that can lean on JMS's strengths and paper over his weaknesses would be a necessity.

·
Time for a new Title
28,042 Posts
Funny you should say this. I'm not sure if you're aware of JMS' original plan for the series. He 1st released it in a bonus volume of the script books put out by Cafepress years ago.

In the original plan When B5 is destroyed at the end of the series it's be cause Sinclair (he stays throughout the series), Delenn, and their son are being hunted by everyone for various reasons. The series ends on a cliffhanger and with the Shadows and their allies having won and are now in control.

This leads into the sequel series to be called Babylon Prime. They steal B4 and bring it to the future to be used as a base in the Shadow war. Sinclair never becomes Valen (and Valen is never even mentioned in the outline). and begin to form an alliance and work to defeat the shadows and clear Sinclair's name.

There's more to it than that obviously. Here's a link that gives a synopsis of a synopsis if you will: Babylon 5: the original plan - At Sister Love's - Norman T. Ray
Other than how the station was destroyed in the series ("we're going to blow it up because nobody lives here anymore, and we don't want a giant single piece of space junk floating around"), I definitely like the actual series approach better. While Michael O'Hare's health issues were tragic, I think him having to leave the show actually helped the overall story arc.

·
Substantive Member
12,304 Posts
I have never heard of that before. I think I prefer how it ended up, if season 4/5 had been done right. Most of my hard core B5ing was done on RAST.B5 on usenet.

I had wondered if Sinclair's departure was one of JMS's escapes. It sounds like her was originally meant to stay.

·
wait.. I did what?
15,088 Posts
I have never heard of that before. I think I prefer how it ended up, if season 4/5 had been done right. Most of my hard core B5ing was done on RAST.B5 on usenet.

I had wondered if Sinclair's departure was one of JMS's escapes. It sounds like her was originally meant to stay.
It was one of the trapdoors, JMS has talked at length about how Michael O'Hare and he talked after season one and they both knew O'Hare wasn't going to be able to continue due to his issues that remained private until after his death, by his request.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
It was one of the trapdoors, JMS has talked at length about how Michael O'Hare and he talked after season one and they both knew O'Hare wasn't going to be able to continue due to his issues that remained private until after his death, by his request.
Video story here for anyone who hasn't heard the background of O'Hare's departure. (I know you've seen it)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Me, too. I was late to the party with the original and, frankly, it didn't live up to expectations (B-list actors, innovative -- but rather primitive -- special effects). And I still think that S5 was bolted on after they wrapped things up in S4, thinking they were getting canceled. Hopefully they go with a 5 x 10 for some tighter story-telling.
I thought their make-up effects were pretty good. They seemed to show a bit more imagination with the main cast than what Star Trek was doing. Maybe they felt that they needed to do that to overcome the less impressive outer space FX.

With Star Trek, they were getting downright lazy with make-up FX. "Let's slap a few ridges on this person's nose and call them a different species"

·
Time for a new Title
28,042 Posts
I know this isn’t a B5 reminiscences thread…but I just signed up for HBO Max this week and it turns out B5 is streaming there. I just rewatched Babylon Squared and both War Without End episodes.

Even in those episodes the show often felt like a soap opera. The FX were cheesy and the acting sometimes even more so. But HFC. I’m still blown away by how many key plot points were either wrapped up or overtly foreshadowed in those episodes. If JMS feels he’s grown and can tell the story in a different way, I’m there.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

Sinclair was meant to be there for all 5 seasons. But midway through the 1st season, Michael O'Hare developed a mental illness (or he always had) it and just became to much for him to handle. JMS offered to suspend filming until O'Hare could get treatment, but O'Hare said he didn't want the show to suffer and risk being canceled and put everyone out of a job.

So Joe wrote him out and gave him a way to close out the character arc.
Here's a video of Joe telling the story for the first time in public @ Phoenix Comic-Con in 2013 for the show's 20th anniversary. I was in the room when he told us the story. I don't think there was a dry eye in the room.

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Even in those episodes the show often felt like a soap opera. The FX were cheesy and the acting sometimes even more so. But HFC. I'm still blown away by how many key plot points were either wrapped up or overtly foreshadowed in those episodes. If JMS feels he's grown and can tell the story in a different way, I'm there.
Yah, despite the flaws we like to nitpick - (like which was more wooden, the actors in the first season, or sets?) - it still holds up across countless re-watches. Sure, the mystery is gone, but the Messages From Earth / Point of No Return / Severed Dreams chain of events still packs the same punch as it did on the first viewing, as does Endgame, The Fall of Night, and many others (and I'm sure everyone has their favorite re-watchable episodes). Even Gray 17 is Missing has its re-watchable side plots (except for those that had anything to do with Gray 17).

·
Substantive Member
12,304 Posts
Even Gray 17 is Missing has its re-watchable side plots (except for those that had anything to do with Gray 17).
If you remember the final 5 episodes of S3 were held back, for reasons which were never clear, including Grey 17. I managed to smuggle in UK showings of those and we had watch parties, including the UK ads.

The worst rated episode is TKO, even that has a good B story about Ivanova.

·
I am Groot!
64,305 Posts
If you remember the final 5 episodes of S3 were held back, for reasons which were never clear, including Grey 17. I managed to smuggle in UK showings of those and we had watch parties, including the UK ads.
They did that most seasons. They would run the last few episodes of the previous season leading directly into the new season.

Yeah, it was weird, and I never understood it.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
I rewatched the entire series recently and the series still holds up well, IMHO. The CGI was definitely a bit cheesy, but not bad for the time and definitely a step up from some of the stuff that was on TV at the time. The makeup and prosthetics for the actors still looks great today, even in hi-def. The acting wasn't great, but it worked for the characters they portrayed. It was more about the story than anything else. A show with a story that spanned the entire series had never been done before. The way that JMS worked everything into an intricate tale was magnificent. I can't wait to see what he does with the reboot.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
They did that most seasons. They would run the last few episodes of the previous season leading directly into the new season.

Yeah, it was weird, and I never understood it.
It was clearly to bring the viewers up to speed after a long hiatus between seasons. I don't recall if they had reruns between seasons, but I don't believe they did. They do that with The Walking Dead shows prior to the start of each new season so you can recall where the story left off. It's more prevalent in shows these days since seasons tend to be quite short as opposed to back when B5 aired. It was unusual for shows to do recaps like that back then, but there were probably a few that did it.

·
I am Groot!
64,305 Posts
It was clearly to bring the viewers up to speed after a long hiatus between seasons. I don't recall if they had reruns between seasons, but I don't believe they did. They do that with The Walking Dead shows prior to the start of each new season so you can recall where the story left off. It's more prevalent in shows these days since seasons tend to be quite short as opposed to back when B5 aired. It was unusual for shows to do recaps like that back then, but there were probably a few that did it.
No, they would run all of a season EXCEPT the last five or so episodes, then hold those back until the new season was about to begin.

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,135 Posts
No, they would run all of a season EXCEPT the last five or so episodes, then hold those back until the new season was about to begin.
And in the end, all it did was make the last episode they aired feel like the "season finale". The worst though was when they would pre-empt for sports and air it at like 2am with no prior warning.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
And in the end, all it did was make the last episode they aired feel like the "season finale". The worst though was when they would pre-empt for sports and air it at like 2am with no prior warning.
Oh yes, wasn't that when they were airing on PTEN (the Prime Time Entertainment Network, which was really just a collection of randomly purchased timeslots on other stations?)

The worst rated episode is TKO, even that has a good B story about Ivanova.
Oh, yes. TKO was so bad that I forgot it existed, it didn't even occurred to me when I recalled Gray 17 as the worst episode. I guess TKO was so bad it was forgettable. And Gray 17 was so bad it was memorable.

61 - 80 of 107 Posts