TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Substantive Member
7,824 Posts
I'm interested, I still think the original is the best TV series ever made, and S3 is the best single season of a TV show ever. (Half of S1 is a bit shaky, and S4-S5 got spoiled by the cancellation.)

I hope JMS gets to actually make the show he wants this time (all 5 seasons).

I just hope it can live up to the original.

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Substantive Member
7,824 Posts
I was 14 in '94 when the show premiered and I remember my dad watching but I never gave it a look. Since I've started it a couple of times but I just cant get drawn in and never make it past a few episodes.
The first half season is the shakiest bit of the whole show. Around the time episode 13 was aired I was wondering if it was worth watching anymore. Then it got better. Then it got dramatically better in season 2, and amazing in season 3. It's worth suffering through those episodes.

·
Substantive Member
7,824 Posts
Well, people decades/centuries/millennia in the future thought it was the last one...
Exactly, the series covers that.

On the other hand, as we got towards the end of S1, I did say it was obvious the sequel to B5 was going to be "Babylon 4", after the Babylon Squared episode.

They could always hijack B4 again to some other time.

·
Substantive Member
7,824 Posts
There's more to it than that obviously. Here's a link that gives a synopsis of a synopsis if you will: Babylon 5: the original plan - At Sister Love's - Norman T. Ray
I have never heard of that before. I think I prefer how it ended up, if season 4/5 had been done right. Most of my hard core B5ing was done on RAST.B5 on usenet.

I had wondered if Sinclair's departure was one of JMS's escapes. It sounds like her was originally meant to stay.

·
Substantive Member
7,824 Posts
Even Gray 17 is Missing has its re-watchable side plots (except for those that had anything to do with Gray 17).
If you remember the final 5 episodes of S3 were held back, for reasons which were never clear, including Grey 17. I managed to smuggle in UK showings of those and we had watch parties, including the UK ads.

The worst rated episode is TKO, even that has a good B story about Ivanova.

·
Substantive Member
7,824 Posts
Considering the state of CGI and TV budgets back then, the sets for B5 were pretty decent. At least they weren't using a long folding table with a curtain for a background as the set for the bridge on B5 (a la Plan 9 From Outer Space).
They did shop at Ikea a lot.

Reactions: aaronwt
1 - 6 of 6 Posts