TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Time for a new Title
20,108 Posts
I just want to know if Steve Grimm is going to reactivate the Lurker's guide. I can't imagine B5 without a weekly (frequently more) visit to the Lurker's guide.
I spent WAY too much time on the Lurker's guide (usually at work).

If JMS is behind this, I'll give it a shot. I honestly don't expect it to make it past pilot, but maybe CW will surprise me. I'm assuming it'll probably stream on HBO Max (which we just subscribed to, and will probably keep and instead phase out Hulu in a few months).

·
Time for a new Title
20,108 Posts
Funny you should say this. I'm not sure if you're aware of JMS' original plan for the series. He 1st released it in a bonus volume of the script books put out by Cafepress years ago.

In the original plan When B5 is destroyed at the end of the series it's be cause Sinclair (he stays throughout the series), Delenn, and their son are being hunted by everyone for various reasons. The series ends on a cliffhanger and with the Shadows and their allies having won and are now in control.

This leads into the sequel series to be called Babylon Prime. They steal B4 and bring it to the future to be used as a base in the Shadow war. Sinclair never becomes Valen (and Valen is never even mentioned in the outline). and begin to form an alliance and work to defeat the shadows and clear Sinclair's name.

There's more to it than that obviously. Here's a link that gives a synopsis of a synopsis if you will: Babylon 5: the original plan - At Sister Love's - Norman T. Ray
Other than how the station was destroyed in the series ("we're going to blow it up because nobody lives here anymore, and we don't want a giant single piece of space junk floating around"), I definitely like the actual series approach better. While Michael O'Hare's health issues were tragic, I think him having to leave the show actually helped the overall story arc.

·
Time for a new Title
20,108 Posts
I know this isn’t a B5 reminiscences thread…but I just signed up for HBO Max this week and it turns out B5 is streaming there. I just rewatched Babylon Squared and both War Without End episodes.

Even in those episodes the show often felt like a soap opera. The FX were cheesy and the acting sometimes even more so. But HFC. I’m still blown away by how many key plot points were either wrapped up or overtly foreshadowed in those episodes. If JMS feels he’s grown and can tell the story in a different way, I’m there.

·
Time for a new Title
20,108 Posts
Some of the CW Arrowverse stuff is pretty bad. It's good compared to late 90's B5, but I wouldn't say it's great compared to it.

What I'd love to see JMS do (if this comes to pass) is spend as much money as possible on sets--real and virtual extensions. The thing that really stands out (badly) to me re-watching old episodes isn't the space FX. It's the interior shots. The corridor that was used for EVERYTHING, with the bad painting at the end of it to try to give the impression of curvature. The White Star bridge had a "the soundstage they filmed every 60's Batman scene on" feel to it. Secondary sets were often just temporary walls with curtains (like anything on Centauri Prime). Even C&C, while OK by late 90's standards, doesn't hold up.

If they can visually give me the scale of a 5 mile long space station, I'll be a little forgiving on space shots.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts