TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
10,941 Posts
I just hope it can live up to the original.
There's an underlying philosophical question there - would B5 have been seemed so good if it had been made today - in a world where long running intricate plots have become the norm.

For a remake to be successful, it would not only have to shine against everything we've come to expect as normal, it will have to outshine it's original run - because even if it's just as good, or a bit better, it'll seem like a pale imitation. They could easily swing for rebooted BSG, and instead make a rebooted Fantastic Four.

Besides, all we're doing is cursing a new generation of actors to an early death.
Which brings up problem #2, it's going to be really, *really* hard to accept new actors in some of the roles. Replacing any of the surviving cast isn't going to be nearly as hard as replacing the roles of those that are deceased. Trying to be the next G'Kar, or even the next Vir, is going to be rough.

· Premium Member
10,941 Posts
Read the whole thread of the tweet above…JMS has put some serious thought into this. I can't wait to see the results! IMHO B5 never got the resources or 'respect' it deserved as a Sci-Fi franchise.
(tweet thread didn't exist when I made that post)

Yup, I agree. In fact, it very much reminds me of Neil Gaiman's post to fans about his vision for Good Omens (a book we've all known and loved for 30 years, and were slightly concerned about the miniseries) - which worked out fine. He's clearly given a great deal of thought into all the same concerns we've addressed here.

· Premium Member
10,941 Posts
You can't say that Pat Tallman, Claudia Christian or Mira Furlan weren't attractive. It's TV, most actors and actresses are good looking.
True, but there's attractive, and then there's stereotypical CW cast attractive - which is a whole different ballpark. (I haven't checked recently, but last time I checked, Pat was still on the list ;) )

· Premium Member
10,941 Posts
It was one of the trapdoors, JMS has talked at length about how Michael O'Hare and he talked after season one and they both knew O'Hare wasn't going to be able to continue due to his issues that remained private until after his death, by his request.
Video story here for anyone who hasn't heard the background of O'Hare's departure. (I know you've seen it)

· Premium Member
10,941 Posts
Even in those episodes the show often felt like a soap opera. The FX were cheesy and the acting sometimes even more so. But HFC. I'm still blown away by how many key plot points were either wrapped up or overtly foreshadowed in those episodes. If JMS feels he's grown and can tell the story in a different way, I'm there.
Yah, despite the flaws we like to nitpick - (like which was more wooden, the actors in the first season, or sets?) - it still holds up across countless re-watches. Sure, the mystery is gone, but the Messages From Earth / Point of No Return / Severed Dreams chain of events still packs the same punch as it did on the first viewing, as does Endgame, The Fall of Night, and many others (and I'm sure everyone has their favorite re-watchable episodes). Even Gray 17 is Missing has its re-watchable side plots (except for those that had anything to do with Gray 17).

· Premium Member
10,941 Posts
And in the end, all it did was make the last episode they aired feel like the "season finale". The worst though was when they would pre-empt for sports and air it at like 2am with no prior warning.
Oh yes, wasn't that when they were airing on PTEN (the Prime Time Entertainment Network, which was really just a collection of randomly purchased timeslots on other stations?)

The worst rated episode is TKO, even that has a good B story about Ivanova.
Oh, yes. TKO was so bad that I forgot it existed, it didn't even occurred to me when I recalled Gray 17 as the worst episode. I guess TKO was so bad it was forgettable. And Gray 17 was so bad it was memorable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts