TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Now with flavor!
2,258 Posts
Because Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon stations.
And a story about the Interstellar Alliance would suck. And selling a show just to legacy B5 fans isn't sustainable.

Hollywood Reporter: 9/27/2021
The new take revolves around John Sheridan (originally played by Bruce Boxleitner), an Earthforce officer with a mysterious background, who is assigned to Babylon 5, a five-mile-long space station in neutral space, a port of call for travelers, smugglers, corporate explorers and alien diplomats at a time of uneasy peace and the constant threat of war. His arrival triggers a destiny beyond anything he could have imagined, as an exploratory Earth company accidentally triggers a conflict with a civilization a million years ahead of us, putting Sheridan and the rest of the B5 crew in the line of fire as the last, best hope for the survival of the human race.

Old for us, new for everyone else. Just hope the average quality is better than it was in the original run. Just not sure that's possible with hot-to-trot hottie actors.

·
Now with flavor!
2,258 Posts
..although when I read that, I wasn't sure if that is an actual description of the new show from JMS, or just Hollywood Reporter summing up the old show...
It sounds like studio marketing or "series bible" verbiage to me. Used to explain to to the moneymen, or writers new to the franchise.

·
Now with flavor!
2,258 Posts
You can't say that Pat Tallman, Claudia Christian or Mira Furlan weren't attractive.
But CW is a special case. For the longest time CW's primary target demo was women 18-34. It's evened out since CBS started pushing its "middling" shows to less competitive network.

But it's still wall-to-wall hot-to-trot hotties.

·
Now with flavor!
2,258 Posts
I'm mildly concerned that my expectations will be unrealistically high. I have such fond memories of B5:
My memories of B5 haven't held up over time. Some of those episodes didn't age well in 20+ years, I had issues re-watching after 10 years. And my five DVD sets have been accumulated with dust (or what ever counts as digital dust in PLEX)

I just hope he doesn't do it alone like last time. Babylon 5 needs a fully-filled writing staff, not just JMS.

CW has fronted more genre-based TV shows than any other network. But it still needs an anchor show. That's what makes me nervous about CW.

·
Now with flavor!
2,258 Posts
I would say the bigger budget shows are much better. But the CW shows? Many of those special effects are pretty bad.
I would characterize them as "TV Budget" shows. Even 90s Trek was "TV Budget" but they still squeezed every penny and those VFX still hold up today.

Now certain flagship shows have "cinematic" budgets. Mandalorian, GoT, Discovery, Stranger Things. Just not sure if a CW B5 reboot would fall into that basket. (otherwise they would've launched it on HBOMAX)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts