TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· I am Groot!
58,180 Posts
Me, too. I was late to the party with the original and, frankly, it didn't live up to expectations (B-list actors, innovative -- but rather primitive -- special effects). And I still think that S5 was bolted on after they wrapped things up in S4, thinking they were getting canceled. Hopefully they go with a 5 x 10 for some tighter story-telling.
It wasn't that 5 was bolted on...it was operating under a five-year plan, but they learned they were going to be cancelled after Season 4, so JMS cut out some subplots from the last two years' worth of story and ended the show a year early. But then it was picked up by another...well, not network, exactly, but another group of syndicated stations,* so JMS took the "deleted scenes" from the old 4 and 5 and made a new Season 5 out of them.

So basically, everything that he always intended for the show was in it, but Season 4 has part of the original plan for Season 4 and 5, and Season 5 has the rest.

*Actually, it WAS a network...TNT, after initially being on a "network" of syndicated stations arranged by Warner.

· I am Groot!
58,180 Posts
I'll be curious to see if JMS follows the original 5-year plan or if he just scraps it altogether and starts fresh. Fans already know the original story by heart so why rehash what's already been done? Why not just make a new Babylon 6 instead?
According to the linked Twitter thread above, JMS is starting fresh. He wouldn't want to continue the original story because too many central characters are played by actors who have since died.

· I am Groot!
58,180 Posts
And a story about the Interstellar Alliance would suck. And selling a show just to legacy B5 fans isn't sustainable.

Hollywood Reporter: 9/27/2021
The new take revolves around John Sheridan (originally played by Bruce Boxleitner), an Earthforce officer with a mysterious background, who is assigned to Babylon 5, a five-mile-long space station in neutral space, a port of call for travelers, smugglers, corporate explorers and alien diplomats at a time of uneasy peace and the constant threat of war. His arrival triggers a destiny beyond anything he could have imagined, as an exploratory Earth company accidentally triggers a conflict with a civilization a million years ahead of us, putting Sheridan and the rest of the B5 crew in the line of fire as the last, best hope for the survival of the human race.

Old for us, new for everyone else. Just hope the average quality is better than it was in the original run. Just not sure that's possible with hot-to-trot hottie actors.
...although when I read that, I wasn't sure if that is an actual description of the new show from JMS, or just Hollywood Reporter summing up the old show...

· I am Groot!
58,180 Posts
You can't say that Pat Tallman, Claudia Christian or Mira Furlan weren't attractive. It's TV, most actors and actresses are good looking.
But CW is a special case. For the longest time CW's primary target demo was women 18-34. It's evened out since CBS started pushing its "middling" shows to less competitive network.

But it's still wall-to-wall hot-to-trot hotties.
Plus, all three of those women, even in their B5 days, were much too old to be main characters in a CW show. ;)

· I am Groot!
58,180 Posts
It was the last of the Babylon stations that had been put into service during the timeline of the series, but who's to say they didn't decide to build another one in the future? They didn't say it was the last one that would ever be built, just the last one in the series of stations that had been constructed to date. They could not predict what the future would hold so a Babylon 6 station would not necessarily be out of the question. They could also have built something similar but decided to give it a different name.

Whatever the case, I'm excited to see where JMS takes the new series, regardless of what he calls it.
Well, people decades/centuries/millennia in the future thought it was the last one...

· I am Groot!
58,180 Posts
You mean just like we all thought that the Babylon 5 TV show was over and done with? Things can change and nobody can predict the future. If they can reboot the TV series then surely they can do the same with the Babylon station in the distant future. ;)
But this is people in the future, IN THE SHOW, calling Babylon 5 the last of the Babylon stations.

· I am Groot!
58,180 Posts
I understand, but how far into the future? I know that it was mentioned in the final episode of season 4, IIRC, when they did a historical look at the station. What I'm suggesting is that it was the last of the Babylon stations at that point in time. Who is to say they didn't decide to resurrect the project several millennia down the road?

And yes, it was mentioned in the intro.

I mean, What If?.....
The last segment of that episode took place at the time of the last humans, so I suspect there wouldn't have been any Babylon stations after that.. ;)

· I am Groot!
58,180 Posts
My memories of B5 haven't held up over time. Some of those episodes didn't age well in 20+ years, I had issues re-watching after 10 years. And my five DVD sets have been accumulated with dust (or what ever counts as digital dust in PLEX)

I just hope he doesn't do it alone like last time. Babylon 5 needs a fully-filled writing staff, not just JMS.
Yeah, for all its ahead-of-its-time brilliance (of which there was a lot), there were also some pretty deep flaws. One was that it was a cheap-looking show...it didn't look as cheap as it actually was, which is a tribute, but it still looked pretty cheap. Much of the cast was, shall we say, not first-rate...especially for the human characters. And while JMS had a genius for Big Picture writing, his moment-to-moment stuff was often quite weak (his view of human relationships, e.g., often seemed kinda...junior-high).

Having a modern budget and modern FX should easily solve the first problem, and the second as well since they'll be able to hire the best available actors. As for the third, you're right...a writers' room that can lean on JMS's strengths and paper over his weaknesses would be a necessity.

· I am Groot!
58,180 Posts
If you remember the final 5 episodes of S3 were held back, for reasons which were never clear, including Grey 17. I managed to smuggle in UK showings of those and we had watch parties, including the UK ads.
They did that most seasons. They would run the last few episodes of the previous season leading directly into the new season.

Yeah, it was weird, and I never understood it.

· I am Groot!
58,180 Posts
It was clearly to bring the viewers up to speed after a long hiatus between seasons. I don't recall if they had reruns between seasons, but I don't believe they did. They do that with The Walking Dead shows prior to the start of each new season so you can recall where the story left off. It's more prevalent in shows these days since seasons tend to be quite short as opposed to back when B5 aired. It was unusual for shows to do recaps like that back then, but there were probably a few that did it.
No, they would run all of a season EXCEPT the last five or so episodes, then hold those back until the new season was about to begin.

· I am Groot!
58,180 Posts
Tonight I finally finished my re-watch on HBO Max. Despite the flaws of the fifth season, the last few episodes were quite nice. Sappy and sentimental, but in a good way.

I look forward to seeing what JMS can do with it in the 21st century.

· I am Groot!
58,180 Posts
It's on the CW right? Every show on there is low budget. And the effects show it.
But compared to B5, they're all Kubrick movies (visually).

It's amazing how FX and basic production values have evolved over the past 30 years, to the point where just about anything that's done today blows what was state of the art back then out of the water.

· I am Groot!
58,180 Posts
Wouldn't that be the other way around since B5 came 1st? Could you imagine JMS being in charge of the Star Wars sequel trilogy? It would've been mapped out and have a logical flow that the series really didn't.
Well, it would have helped if ANYBODY had been in charge of the Star Wars sequel trilogy...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts