TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,820 Posts
So many questions about this.... With Joe in charge I'm not too worried about the direction. CW tends to sign a show for multiple years/seasons so between that and Joe's credibility and clout I'm guessing a 5 year deal was inked for this. I can't see Joe wanting to do this again with the sword of Damocles hanging over his head every year.

I also don't expect him to write nearly every script this time. He's no spring chicken anymore. There were a lot of concepts and ideas that never saw the light of day in the original run. I expect them to come into play this time.

My expectation is a different jumping off point ("exploratory Earth company accidentally triggers a conflict with a civilization a million years ahead of us") instead of attempted assassination of an ambassador. A slightly different route to a similar destination. Of course Joe could go with his original concept and just use Sheridan rather than Sinclair and then we get Babylon Prime as well.

Who knows, this could lead to a revival of Crusade as well.

Reactions: tim1724

· Registered
1,820 Posts
Exactly, the series covers that.

On the other hand, as we got towards the end of S1, I did say it was obvious the sequel to B5 was going to be "Babylon 4", after the Babylon Squared episode.

They could always hijack B4 again to some other time.
Funny you should say this. I'm not sure if you're aware of JMS' original plan for the series. He 1st released it in a bonus volume of the script books put out by Cafepress years ago.

In the original plan When B5 is destroyed at the end of the series it's be cause Sinclair (he stays throughout the series), Delenn, and their son are being hunted by everyone for various reasons. The series ends on a cliffhanger and with the Shadows and their allies having won and are now in control.

This leads into the sequel series to be called Babylon Prime. They steal B4 and bring it to the future to be used as a base in the Shadow war. Sinclair never becomes Valen (and Valen is never even mentioned in the outline). and begin to form an alliance and work to defeat the shadows and clear Sinclair's name.

There's more to it than that obviously. Here's a link that gives a synopsis of a synopsis if you will: Babylon 5: the original plan - At Sister Love's - Norman T. Ray

· Registered
1,820 Posts
I have never heard of that before. I think I prefer how it ended up, if season 4/5 had been done right. Most of my hard core B5ing was done on RAST.B5 on usenet.

I had wondered if Sinclair's departure was one of JMS's escapes. It sounds like her was originally meant to stay.
Sinclair was meant to be there for all 5 seasons. But midway through the 1st season, Michael O'Hare developed a mental illness (or he always had) it and just became to much for him to handle. JMS offered to suspend filming until O'Hare could get treatment, but O'Hare said he didn't want the show to suffer and risk being canceled and put everyone out of a job.

So Joe wrote him out and gave him a way to close out the character arc.
Here's a video of Joe telling the story for the first time in public @ Phoenix Comic-Con in 2013 for the show's 20th anniversary. I was in the room when he told us the story. I don't think there was a dry eye in the room.

Reactions: aaronwt

· Registered
1,820 Posts
So yesterday, JMS was a very busy boy on Twitter and dropped a couple of bombshells one was very noticed, and the other one, ehhh not so much.

Those of us who have been subscribers to Joe's Patreon page knew about the secret B5 project since April of 2021 and no it's not the B5 reboot for CW. That was known as B5-B.

B5-A we know nothing about aside from what JMS tweeted and that it involves all of the remaining cast and began production in early 2021.

Here's his tweet.

The other bombshell at least to me was this: He's had the ability to write a Rising Stars pilot on spec and it is going to be shopped around!

So it appears 2023 will be a very good year for us B5 fans assumming that the reboot gets picked up. And with the CW cutting shows they are going to need new material to show so it looks good for that. I've heard rumors that talks around the reboot are starting up again now that the dust has settled from the CW sale.

· Registered
1,820 Posts
Looking back, I just realized how much B5 reminds me of the first three phases of the MCU that spanned over ten years. Every individual movie had a tie-in to the overall plot and led to one of the best finales of any movie franchise I have seen to date. B5 was very similar in that all five seasons were mapped out from the beginning. The beauty of the storytelling is that even though each episode may have been part of the overall story, they could all stand alone as individual episodes. I am really looking forward to seeing the reboot.
Wouldn't that be the other way around since B5 came 1st? Could you imagine JMS being in charge of the Star Wars sequel trilogy? It would've been mapped out and have a logical flow that the series really didn't.

Reactions: aaronwt

· Registered
1,820 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts