TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
5,077 Posts
I'll be curious to see if JMS follows the original 5-year plan or if he just scraps it altogether and starts fresh. Fans already know the original story by heart so why rehash what's already been done? Why not just make a new Babylon 6 instead?

· Registered
5,077 Posts
You mean not have a show called Babylon 5? BRILLIANT!
It was the last of the Babylon stations that had been put into service during the timeline of the series, but who's to say they didn't decide to build another one in the future? They didn't say it was the last one that would ever be built, just the last one in the series of stations that had been constructed to date. They could not predict what the future would hold so a Babylon 6 station would not necessarily be out of the question. They could also have built something similar but decided to give it a different name.

Whatever the case, I'm excited to see where JMS takes the new series, regardless of what he calls it.

· Registered
5,077 Posts
Well, people decades/centuries/millennia in the future thought it was the last one...
You mean just like we all thought that the Babylon 5 TV show was over and done with? Things can change and nobody can predict the future. If they can reboot the TV series then surely they can do the same with the Babylon station in the distant future. ;)

· Registered
5,077 Posts
But this is people in the future, IN THE SHOW, calling Babylon 5 the last of the Babylon stations.
I understand, but how far into the future? I know that it was mentioned in the final episode of season 4, IIRC, when they did a historical look at the station. What I'm suggesting is that it was the last of the Babylon stations at that point in time. Who is to say they didn't decide to resurrect the project several millennia down the road?

And yes, it was mentioned in the intro.

I mean, What If?.....

· Registered
5,077 Posts
The last segment of that episode took place at the time of the last humans, so I suspect there wouldn't have been any Babylon stations after that.. ;)
How is that possible since I'm pretty sure it was a human that was giving the historical lecture about Babylon 5? In retrospect that may have been a hologram. I'd have to go back and check the episode again to be sure. Besides, there were lots of other alien races involved with Babylon 5 that could have decided to resurrect the project or at least come up with something similar. Maybe they could have called it Drazi World or Narni Narni Boo Boo Theme Park.

· Registered
5,077 Posts
I rewatched the entire series recently and the series still holds up well, IMHO. The CGI was definitely a bit cheesy, but not bad for the time and definitely a step up from some of the stuff that was on TV at the time. The makeup and prosthetics for the actors still looks great today, even in hi-def. The acting wasn't great, but it worked for the characters they portrayed. It was more about the story than anything else. A show with a story that spanned the entire series had never been done before. The way that JMS worked everything into an intricate tale was magnificent. I can't wait to see what he does with the reboot.

· Registered
5,077 Posts
They did that most seasons. They would run the last few episodes of the previous season leading directly into the new season.

Yeah, it was weird, and I never understood it.
It was clearly to bring the viewers up to speed after a long hiatus between seasons. I don't recall if they had reruns between seasons, but I don't believe they did. They do that with The Walking Dead shows prior to the start of each new season so you can recall where the story left off. It's more prevalent in shows these days since seasons tend to be quite short as opposed to back when B5 aired. It was unusual for shows to do recaps like that back then, but there were probably a few that did it.

· Registered
5,077 Posts
No, they would run all of a season EXCEPT the last five or so episodes, then hold those back until the new season was about to begin.
Yeah, I do recall them doing that now. I was thinking they were only showing the last few episodes from the previous season to get you caught up. I can only assume that they had to pre-empt the show in their time slot for local sporting events and such and just didn't have enough weeks available to do a full rerun of the previous season. They did 22 episodes in each of the five seasons they were on the air so they would need 44 weeks to run the series twice. Lots of shows get pre-empted during the Christmas and Thanksgiving holidays plus unscheduled news reports and such that screw up the schedule.

· Registered
5,077 Posts
But compared to B5...
Yeah. I've seen TV shows with CGI that was so bad it was laughable. Most of the DC/CW shows are passable for TV. I'm not sure why they're being criticized so highly considering the tight budget constraints I'm sure they have to deal with plus the number of special effects that are created for each episode. They're good enough not to distract you from the entertainment value they create. Heck, most of them would be considered state of the art if they were done back in the B5 era.

· Registered
5,077 Posts
Considering the state of CGI and TV budgets back then, the sets for B5 were pretty decent. At least they weren't using a long folding table with a curtain for a background as the set for the bridge on B5 (a la Plan 9 From Outer Space).

· Registered
5,077 Posts
Looking back, I just realized how much B5 reminds me of the first three phases of the MCU that spanned over ten years. Every individual movie had a tie-in to the overall plot and led to one of the best finales of any movie franchise I have seen to date. B5 was very similar in that all five seasons were mapped out from the beginning. The beauty of the storytelling is that even though each episode may have been part of the overall story, they could all stand alone as individual episodes. I am really looking forward to seeing the reboot.

· Registered
5,077 Posts
Wouldn't that be the other way around since B5 came 1st? Could you imagine JMS being in charge of the Star Wars sequel trilogy? It would've been mapped out and have a logical flow that the series really didn't.
Yes, it would. I was only pointing out the similarities in the way the overall stories for both B5 and the first three phases of the MCU were mapped out ahead of time.

George Lucas supposedly had the entire Star Wars triple trilogy mapped out ahead of time, but clearly it was not well thought out. It was just a huge mess after the first trilogy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts