TiVo Community Forum banner
261 - 273 of 273 Posts

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
It's a shame, Had an interesting cast, and some decent story lines. But it was all over the place... old people stories, young people, kidneys, Drew on the road, people dying, yada yada. Probably hard for an audience to grow when it's so inconsistent in theme.

This was my introduction to Annaleigh Ashford. I will watch anything she ever does, from now on. I won't go out of my way to watch Thomas Middleditch, his character was twitchy, irritating, unfun (new word just for him). But they had a cast problem, Kether Donohue was there, then not, Gideon came and went, we lost the dialysis gang, which we spent a season getting to know. I realize they made a 180 on the story, but it probably doomed them. And while I enjoyed the "older folks", that's partially because I knew them so well from the past, whereas young viewers are like "WTF?".

I was watching "All That Jazz" a few weeks ago, one of my favorite movies. I'm a big Bob Fosse/Gwen Verdon fan, and I love Roy Scheider's version of him. I had forgotten (hadn't watched it in decades) that the ending features Ben Vereen doing a Bye Bye Love takeoff. He steals the movie in the last fifteen minutes.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,601 Posts
It's a shame, Had an interesting cast, and some decent story lines. But it was all over the place... old people stories, young people, kidneys, Drew on the road, people dying, yada yada. Probably hard for an audience to grow when it's so inconsistent in theme.

This was my introduction to Annaleigh Ashford. I will watch anything she ever does, from now on. I won't go out of my way to watch Thomas Middleditch, his character was twitchy, irritating, unfun (new word just for him). But they had a cast problem, Kether Donohue was there, then not, Gideon came and went, we lost the dialysis gang, which we spent a season getting to know. I realize they made a 180 on the story, but it probably doomed them. And while I enjoyed the "older folks", that's partially because I knew them so well from the past, whereas young viewers are like "WTF?".

I was watching "All That Jazz" a few weeks ago, one of my favorite movies. I'm a big Bob Fosse/Gwen Verdon fan, and I love Roy Scheider's version of him. I had forgotten (hadn't watched it in decades) that the ending features Ben Vereen doing a Bye Bye Love takeoff. He steals the movie in the last fifteen minutes.
CBS <> Young viewers, like WTF? 😁😁
Yeah, this show wasn't exactly aimed at younger viewers. Even the dialysis storyline was aimed more at older viewers (though younger viewers might have tuned in to watch Middleditch who they might have known from Silicon Valley). The first season was pretty good, but the second season was a whole season of the "old folks say snarky things" trope that gets...uhem....old quick. I agree Annaleigh was fun to watch, but not enough to save the show. Again leave it to CBS to squander good talent like Middledich, Ashford, and even Pete Holmes in How We Roll. Proof that not every show produced by someone successful, is automatically a hit.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
They never really used Kether Donohue. Too bad, she was very good in FX’s “You’re the Worst”. Aya Cash is another (unrelated to this show) good actress(or) that is underutilized (currently in the awful Fox show Welcome to Flatch)

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
Aya Cash is another (unrelated to this show) good actress(or) that is underutilized (currently in the awful Fox show Welcome to Flatch)
I almost feel bad for her. She went from a cutting edge, sharp as a razor dramedy, that was as good as it gets, to... Flatch.

·
Registered
241 Posts
What I think would of been a good way to go for the show is stick with the dialysis group, but for the 2nd second start following 1 of the other patients in the group. They did Drew the first season, then next season they go with someone in the group and go with them and so on each season if it lasted. They still would have the dialiysis group interactions as well as a new story arch from that charecter. yes Drew be gone but thast a good thing, but Gina being gone would suck.

261 - 273 of 273 Posts