TiVo Community Forum banner
181 - 200 of 240 Posts

· I am Groot!
59,053 Posts
Unfortunately the finale didn't really help me warm to things, I had hoped that they would use the cargo ship to get rid of Judd and help get the show to work next season but with that not being the outcomoe I've lost faith, I doubt I will return to it for the second season.
I have to admit, I was amused at the way they teased us over who was going to go away on the shuttle (and disappointed with who ultimately left).

Wouldn't having the shuttle pushing against the ship provide more force than simply pushing stuff out the airlock?

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,079 Posts
Maybe without Iris to temper his eccentricities, Judd will actually become a funny character in a S2.

But why was the shuttle pilot not able to just re-dock so Iris could get off? Are we really supposed to believe that the entire journey, including docking with a moving ship, is completely automated by a single (or two) button push at the beginning of the journey and the pilot has zero input?

And here I am nitpicking what's supposed to be a comedy, because it obviously wasn't very funny.

· Meh.
41,629 Posts
I hope Suzy Nakamura left because she got a much better job offer because if the writers decided to get rid of her character instead of the big handful of very get rid-able characters, they suck.

I still hate Judd but the show got better as it went on. And I think Billie is hot.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,079 Posts
Why do you think Nakamura left (the show)? I haven't heard that news...
Well, her character got on board the shuttle and left to go back to earth. I guess next season could easily reverse that and have her return to the ship. But we were left with the impression that she wasn't going to be on the ship any longer. Maybe she could still be on the show communicating with Judd with the 26-second delay.

· Deregistered Snoozer
4,976 Posts
Well sure, I agree she won't be on the ship but that doesn't mean she won't be on the show: there's a whole lot of content in this show set back on Earth. Yes, she won't be interacting with Judd as much but it doesn't mean she's leaving the show altogether... does it?

· Registered
6,562 Posts
I saw it as a straight swap of location and probably job.

Iris right-hand woman for Judd on the ship is heading for Earth, Rav head of Judd Mission Control on Earth is now on the ship.

Further but different stupidity and chaos will follow.

· Series 3
27,122 Posts
Disclaimer: Yes, I know it's a comedy but.........

For what logical reason would Matt have to ability to change the airlock code and lock out everyone from them?
This is like Julie McCoy, Cruise Director being able to lock Captain Stubing out of the navigation computer.

And if a shuttle can fly itself and dock with Avenue 5 just by pushing two buttons, why do we need Ryan to dock the ship at all?

I swear that a lot of the time, I felt like Homer Simpson watching this show:

And yet, I see people over at IMDB saying that this is the funniest show ever and I don't get cerebral humor, like The Office.
(Really?)

Put me into the not really caring about Season 2 camp.

· I am Groot!
59,053 Posts
There's a fair number of people (including even writers) who will excuse logical gaps in science fiction because "it's not real." I see that philosophy here quite often (e.g., Battlestar Galactica); it drives me crazy. I've always believed that science fiction ought to be more rigorous than regular fiction, not less.

(There's a smaller number of people who feel that way about fiction in general...)

· Series 3
27,122 Posts
There's a fair number of people (including even writers) who will excuse logical gaps in science fiction because "it's not real." I see that philosophy here quite often (e.g., Battlestar Galactica); it drives me crazy. I've always believed that science fiction ought to be more rigorous than regular fiction, not less.
I got that back quite a bit when I was reviewing Enterprise episodes.

I could excuse more if it's a good story or in Red Dwarf's case, a funny comedy.
But as I've stated before, they're not bringing the funny here, so I think about these things.

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
Avenue 5 is returning for its second season next Monday, Oct 10. This is a PSA for those who still watch.

I was ready to quit several episodes before the S1 finale, but stuck it out due to NTFTS syndrome.

I'll probably hate-read this thread for a while, then quietly move on...

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,079 Posts
I remember being on the fence and just sticking it out through the end of the season. I thought I heard it was canceled and I wasn't unhappy about that. But I'm a glutton for punishment so I'll probably check it out and hopefully the writers will have figured out a few things and it will be better.

181 - 200 of 240 Posts