TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Avenue 5 premiered last night on HBO. It's from Armando Iannucci, the creator of VEEP. It's a 30 minute sitcom-ish (ie, typical HBO-style comedy), comes on after The Outsider. Hugh Laurie and Josh Gad are the biggest names. From wiki:

Avenue 5 has been described as "set in the future, mostly in space." Onboard the interplanetary cruise ship the Avenue 5, a massive systems malfunction sends the titular vessel far off course. It's estimated it will take the ship years to return to Earth, and with only enough supplies to sustain her many passengers for the intended eight week long cruise, the crew of the Avenue 5 must struggle to maintain order and return the craft safely.

So what did everyone think? I'm kinda mixed on this one. I thought the silliness become almost overwhelming about halfway thru, but then it started to jell (a little). IOW, I went from "I can't watch this" to "I'll give it a chance".

In its favor, it has Hugh Laurie, almost universally good. Also Iannucci, who created one of the best shows in HBO history, VEEP. Plus, it's HBO. Going against it is Josh Gad, who (IMHO) is one of those actors that has the magical ability to make almost any show unbearable.

I'm hoping this follows the VEEP path, which started good but unspectacular, and quickly became... spectacular.

Your thoughts?

·
I am Groot!
62,855 Posts
Going against it is Josh Gad, who (IMHO) is one of those actors that has the magical ability to make almost any show unbearable.
In defense of Gad, whom I'm never seen before that I know of, in this case his character is meant to be unbearable... ;)

I can see this show going either way.

Kind of ironic that Laurie's American accent is more believable than his British accent!

·
Registered
822 Posts
While I didn’t think it was horrible, it wasn’t comedy either. I’ll probably watch at least one more episode to see if they can pull off comedy or at least some better acting, before pulling the plug.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
I am Groot!
62,855 Posts
The delay between Earth and Saturn is about an hour and twenty minutes, not 26 seconds. On the other hand, the show captures the cruise ship experience pretty accurately.
I wasn't paying the closest attention, but was the company headquarters explicitly said to be on Earth?

·
All About Footwork
31,948 Posts
I'll continue watching despite the pilot. I hates Veep at first so I'm willing to give this a lot of latitude.

I wish they cast someone better for the nosy woman. I didn't like her at all and this character can evolve into something great.

·
Nice to see you
12,033 Posts
I wasn't paying the closest attention, but was the company headquarters explicitly said to be on Earth?
They indicated that the people touring Mission Control were related to (or potentially related to) passengers aboard the ship, but no one specifically said, "Well, here were are at Judd corporate headquarters on Earth!"

I'd say the only possible answer is that they're willing to ignore actual science for the sake of making a TV sitcom... so I wouldn't keep watching if you want your sci-fi comedy to be more scientific and less fictional.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
So what did everyone think? I'm kinda mixed on this one. I thought the silliness become almost overwhelming about halfway thru, but then it started to jell (a little). IOW, I went from "I can't watch this" to "I'll give it a chance".

I agree with you 100%. I loved VEEP so I was really having high expectations for this and while I did laugh at times it was not as good as I thought. However I definitely will stick with it as it has good potential.

In its favor, it has Hugh Laurie, almost universally good. Also Iannucci, who created one of the best shows in HBO history, VEEP. Plus, it's HBO. Going against it is Josh Gad, who (IMHO) is one of those actors that has the magical ability to make almost any show unbearable.
I also agree with this as I have NEVER been a fan of Josh Gad. I don't know why but in every thing I've seen of him I just don't like. But if the rest of the show gets better then I can somewhat ignore him.

I know this show is not going to be scientifically accurate but I can't believe the ship doesn't have any spare fuel to adjust their flight path back to where it should be. Rather poor planning of the space cruise line!!!

Gerry

·
wait.. I did what?
14,631 Posts
I'm not sure yet what I think, while I always enjoy Hugh Laurie and enjoyed him here, there's nothing in the pilot that spoke to me and the twist wasn't very twisty.
I never thought someone would make a sitcom based on the movie Passengers, but this sure feels like it :)

·
Premium Member
10,682 Posts
I saw Gad on late night promoting this and the clip was terrible. It did nothing to make me interested. Neither has any other marketing. I will wait for s)melody to persuade me otherwise before I waste any time on it.

·
Save the Moderatоr
57,503 Posts
Well, the redeeming viewing value is Zach Woods right now. Not sure I'd bother watching any more of it were it not for him. There should really be some sort of rule preventing one person from holding so many positions he/she cannot do any one of them well... "Armando Iannucci" just kept appearing in credit after credit at first (and not having a clue at the time anything about him).

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,178 Posts
I'm not sure yet what I think, while I always enjoy Hugh Laurie and enjoyed him here, there's nothing in the pilot that spoke to me and the twist wasn't very twisty.
There was a twist? Oh, maybe you mean that the captain wasn't a real captain? I guess that's kind of a twist.

Or maybe you mean that the captain was English! :)

I actually kind of liked it and will keep watching. I thought it definitely thumbed its nose at a lot of sci-fi tropes and I'm always a fan of noses being thumbed at tropes.

My big problem was that I forgot to record it with TiVo so I was watching with HBO Go and it literally could not go more than 5 minutes without buffering for 20+ seconds. It was absolutely maddening. And it's Monday night, not even a weekend! I don't know what's up with HBO: I've never had that with Netflix or even Amazon. Lame!

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
The orbital track showed them returning to Earth. And there aren't any planets 26 light seconds from Saturn anyway; they are all much further away than that.

Implicitly, if there are company headquarters on one of the moons of Saturn, rescuing a disabled cruise ship would be easily within the capabilities of the company. And they wouldn't need to be asking NASA for help.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,601 Posts
I thought this show had a lot of potential to be funny (Full disclosure, I've only watch a couple of episodes of Veep, and didn't really like it...but it's on my list to go back and watch at some point and probably never will), but it was really more silly than anything, with dialogue in the typical, "cable style of slightly witty, somewhat ironic and not really quite funny" range. I'll give it another episode and if not any better, I'll bail.

1 - 20 of 193 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.