TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a subscription to HBO through DirecTV Now (DTVN) on my Apple TV and I am satisfied with the service. I also have a TiVo Roamio OTA box that I use as a DVR while watching networks, local programming, and other OTA shows, and it's working fine too. Unfortunately, I want more. Specifically, I want to watch HBO GO using the app provided on my TiVo Roamio device rather than Apple TV, because then I could watch HBO in another room using a TiVo Roamio "Mini" device.

When I try to activate HBO GO on the Roamio, I'm directed to enter a code at hbogo.com/activate, which I do. Then HBOGO asks me to select my HBO provider from a list which includes DTVN. (According to some threads I've Googled from as recently as 2017, DTVN wasn't included in the list, but it certainly is included now.) So I select DTVN. Then HBO tells me that my TV service provider (DTVN) doesn't support HBO GO on my device. HBO also tells me they're aware there have been problems with authorizing HBO GO using DTVN credentials, but that the issue "should now be resolved." But apparently it isn't.

It appears DTVN credentials can be used to authorize HBO GO on some devices, but not on a TiVo Roamio. Does anyone around here have any insight into this problem? Thanks.

·
Official Tivo User
398 Posts
Try signing into HBOGO using only the first part of your Directv Now user name, meaning do not use the @email part of it. If it works I think you will be asked to create a new user name for the HBOGO app. There's a long reason but the quick answer is HBOGO is not set up to accept the number of characters required for Directv Now user name. (There's more to it but ....)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Try signing into HBOGO using only the first part of your Directv Now user name, meaning do not use the @email part of it. If it works I think you will be asked to create a new user name for the HBOGO app. There's a long reason but the quick answer is HBOGO is not set up to accept the number of characters required for Directv Now user name. (There's more to it but ....)
Thanks very much for your reply, but the process doesn't work this way. I choose APPS in Roamio, then select HBO GO. I'm then offered a choice of activating or browsing HBO GO, and I choose Activate. Then I'm given a code I must enter by using a web browser to get to hbogo.com/activate. I enter the code there, and I'm given a list of service providers. I scroll down the list and choose DirecTV Now and HBO tells me, "DEVICE NOT SUPPORTED. Sorry, your TV provider doesn't support HBO GO on this device." Then HBO gives me a link to their Help Center. I go to the Help Center and I read, "HBO GO SERVICE STATUS. We're aware some DirecTV Now users may be receiving an error when signing into HBO GO. We appreciate your patience as we work with our partners to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. Update: This issue should now be resolved . Please try these troubleshooting steps if issues persist. For additional assistance, please reach out for support.

So when I go to the troubleshooting steps I see:

1) Restart the HBO GO app. (Doesn't work)
2) Clear the device cache, if applicable. (It's not applicable to me.)
3) Turn your device off and then back on again. (Doesn't work)
4) Try signing in again. (There is no "signing in" as I can't get that far.)

IMPORTANT Make sure you enter your DirecTV Now email and password when signing in to HBO GO (which of course I've never had the opportunity to do). And then it gives links to how to reset DirecTV Now password, find AT&T Access ID, and how to contact DirecTV Now directly.

So maybe that's what I should do next -- Contact DirecTV Now directly. Because I'm never offered an opportunity to enter my DirecTV Now username and password -- the question of what they are never comes up. Once I tell HBO I want to use DirecTV Now credentials they tell me this won't work on my device. I've got to figure out whether it's a device problem (Roamio), an HBO problem or a DirecTV problem. Or some combination.

Again, thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For anybody who's following this, here's a transcript of my chat this evening with AT&T DirecTV Now support. It picks up just after I copied and pasted my first post from this thread into the chat window:

Mark: Please allow me 2 minutes to review it.

Mark: I have understand that. the device which you are using not supported the HBO GO APP.

Mark: I have checked with the programming team for you.

Me: The device I am using offers the HBO GO app as a standard app. I understand that it works with other providers.

Mark: Yes, I understand that.

Mark: Many of the customers reported this take this as feedback and forwarding it to the programming team.

Mark: I know how important is for you.

Mark: Please allow me a minute while I forward it to the team.

Me: OK, I'm happy to wait.

Mark: Thank you.

Mark: While, I'm working on it please click the arrow icon above.

Me: OK, we're in a new window.

Mark: Thank you.

Mark: Are you able to download the DIRECTv NOW APP on that device?

Me: Well, I don't know what you mean. The app is already on the device along with plenty of others. I think it was already there when I first bought the device (TiVo Roamio OTA). It's possible I suppose that I did download it onto the device as I download apps onto my Apple TV device, but I don't think that's how it worked with the Roamio.

Mark: I see that the device is not compatible for the APP that is the reason you are unable to stream the HBO.

Me: Wait...I didn't read carefully.

Me: You asked if I could download DirecTV Now onto the Roamio, and I believe the answer is NO.

Mark: Yes, thank you for understanding.

Mark: I have checked with the programming team the APP is not supported for the device so you are facing this issue.

Me: Which app are you talking about?

Mark: HBo GO APP and DIRECTV NOW APP.

Mark: As per customers request our programming team planning to add that device pretty soon.

Me: Any estimate of what "pretty soon" means? I've been doing some Googling and I see the problem has been around for quite a while.

Mark: I will make sure that it would be add by the January month.

Me: The difference now is that back in 2017 people were complaining DirecTV Now was not listed in the HBO list of service providers. But it definitely is listed now, so I am assuming HBO thinks DirecTV Now should authorize HBO GO. I'm thinking it's not a problem with HBO but a compatibility problem with the Roamio. Am I on the right track?

Mark: Yes, you are correct.

Mark: There is no issue with the HBO.

Me: I will remain hopeful throughout January that this issue will be resolved. Thanks. Hope I'm not back here in February!

Mark: I will make sure that it fixed by January month.

Mark: I would be glad to do. Is there anything else?

Me: That's all, Mark. Thanks and happy new year!

Mark: Thank you for choosing AT&T. We appreciate your business.

Mark: You too:)

So there we have it. All my problems will be solved "by the January month." Isn't that just great? (Is it bad of me to wonder if "Mark" isn't the name the guy's parents gave him....?) So let's see how this goes. I'll save the transcript so I can review it with "Mark" in February.

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
I have a subscription to HBO through DirecTV Now (DTVN) on my Apple TV and I am satisfied with the service. I also have a TiVo Roamio OTA box that I use as a DVR while watching networks, local programming, and other OTA shows, and it's working fine too. Unfortunately, I want more. Specifically, I want to watch HBO GO using the app provided on my TiVo Roamio device rather than Apple TV, because then I could watch HBO in another room using a TiVo Roamio "Mini" device.

When I try to activate HBO GO on the Roamio, I'm directed to enter a code at hbogo.com/activate, which I do. Then HBOGO asks me to select my HBO provider from a list which includes DTVN. (According to some threads I've Googled from as recently as 2017, DTVN wasn't included in the list, but it certainly is included now.) So I select DTVN. Then HBO tells me that my TV service provider (DTVN) doesn't support HBO GO on my device. HBO also tells me they're aware there have been problems with authorizing HBO GO using DTVN credentials, but that the issue "should now be resolved." But apparently it isn't.

It appears DTVN credentials can be used to authorize HBO GO on some devices, but not on a TiVo Roamio. Does anyone around here have any insight into this problem? Thanks.
Have you tried your DTV Now credentials on another device with HBOGO to see if it works there, e.g. on the Apple TV? Maybe this issue is not limited to TiVo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you tried your DTV Now credentials on another device with HBOGO to see if it works there, e.g. on the Apple TV? Maybe this issue is not limited to TiVo.
DTVN credentials work just fine with Apple TV. I watch HBO GO there all the time. But I want to watch it via the Roamio also, so I can get it in another room.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
12,442 Posts
I can't speak to that specific combination, but it does seem that, with TV Anywhere apps in general -- you can be a subscriber, the app can be available for your device, your provider's credentials can be known to work with the app on other devices, and still the provider won't authorize your device. I ran into this a few times with Comcast (Xfinity) and Apple TV, as well as TiVo.

AFAICT, it's not a technical limitation, nor a bug, but a misfeature -- the providers are given control over what types of devices they'll allow, and for whatever BS reasons, they don't allow some, that would otherwise work.

One partial solution might be for TiVo to provide the HBO Now app as well as HBO Go, so it could be authorized via direct subscription instead of TV Anywhere credentials. (AFAIK, the login method is the only difference between the two apps. Some services have single apps that support both.) Failing that, if you're an Amazon Prime member, you can add HBO via Channels, and it should work via the Prime app. Of course, neither of those would get you the DTVN discount on HBO ($5 vs. $15).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I could be wrong but my guess is there is a problem with the TiVo HBOGO app and it probably will never be fixed.

Best wishes,

TiVo Optimists Club.
Thanks. I was hoping somebody would reply something like, "I use the TiVo HBO GO app with my xxxx provider's credentials and it works fine for me." But so far I've seen nothing like that, so maybe you're right ....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't speak to that specific combination, but it does seem that, with TV Anywhere apps in general -- you can be a subscriber, the app can be available for your device, your provider's credentials can be known to work with the app on other devices, and still the provider won't authorize your device. I ran into this a few times with Comcast (Xfinity) and Apple TV, as well as TiVo.

AFAICT, it's not a technical limitation, nor a bug, but a misfeature -- the providers are given control over what types of devices they'll allow, and for whatever BS reasons, they don't allow some, that would otherwise work.

One partial solution might be for TiVo to provide the HBO Now app as well as HBO Go, so it could be authorized via direct subscription instead of TV Anywhere credentials. (AFAIK, the login method is the only difference between the two apps. Some services have single apps that support both.) Failing that, if you're an Amazon Prime member, you can add HBO via Channels, and it should work via the Prime app. Of course, neither of those would get you the DTVN discount on HBO ($5 vs. $15).
Ah, you've pinpointed one reason I haven't switched (back) to Amazon Prime for HBO: price. The other is that when I was using Amazon Prime for HBO I was not happy with the quality. When watching live HBO (e.g. Bill Maher) the picture stuttered and I found it annoying. I get a great picture with DTVN.

But all this is moot now, as I've been assured in a DTVN chat that by the end of January I'll be using the HBO GO app on my Roamio with no problems at all. Well, that's what "Mark" said. :)

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Thanks. I was hoping somebody would reply something like, "I use the TiVo HBO GO app with my xxxx provider's credentials and it works fine for me." But so far I've seen nothing like that, so maybe you're right ....
@wmcbrine used a more precise term I think in his post, misfeature vs problem with app authorization. But either way it stinks for those of us that would have these subscriptions but are hamstrung on how to watch them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hasn't worked in the 2 years I've had DTVN. Many of us reported this back in 2016. Isn't going to work in January. Chat rep is obviously clueless. Use any other device besides TiVo for HBO and move on with your life.
What's this you say? A DTVN chat rep is clueless? I prefer to think promising something he can't deliver is his time honored tried and true method of ending a discussion he can't win. Anyway, the squeaky wheel and all that... While I realize others have traveled this road before, I'm not ready to give up quite yet. At least DTVN is listed as an option by HBO GO where it wasn't when you were working on this in 2016. So maybe that's progress....

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
More power to you. But DTVN has been a login option for as long as I can remember. I only wish I knew which of the 3 parties involved to contact. At the time, I reported it to all 3 and nothing changed.

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
What's this you say? A DTVN chat rep is clueless? I prefer to think promising something he can't deliver is his time honored tried and true method of ending a discussion he can't win. Anyway, the squeaky wheel and all that... While I realize others have traveled this road before, I'm not ready to give up quite yet. At least DTVN is listed as an option by HBO GO where it wasn't when you were working on this in 2016. So maybe that's progress....
But don't you need the HBOGO app on TiVo to be fixed/updated for this to work? TiVo apps are not updated with any frequency.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But don't you need the HBOGO app on TiVo to be fixed/updated for this to work? TiVo apps are not updated with any frequency.
You raise a good question -- does the problem lie with TiVo and not DIRECTV NOW? So I did a little experimenting just to see whether ANY service provider could be used to authorize HBO GO on the TiVo Roamio and it appears some will work and some won't. Since it's HBO that tells me DIRECTV NOW isn't supported on my device, I thought I'd see what it says if I tell it I have an XFINITY account. Guess what? XFINITY isn't supported. Nor is DIRECTV, or some others I tried. But T-Mobile apparently works, and RCN, and Cox and probably more. When I told HBO GO I had one of those service providers it happily gave me the service provider's login screen that asked for my userid and password, leading me to believe that if I had an account with one of them I could get HBO GO on the TiVo.

So now I'm wondering if anybody out there is watching HBO GO via a TiVo? If so, then it's true that the TiVo HBO GO app works with some service providers but not others (as I'm becoming confident it does), and I'm wondering who's holding things up? Are the big service providers like Xfinity and DirecTV not allowing their credentials to be used through the TiVo box? Is the TiVo App somehow incompatible with HBO GO? Or is HBO GO listing all the service providers as options but refusing to recognize some of them?

My guess is that the least likely is a problem with the TiVo HBO GO app, as it gives every indication it would work if only I had an account with T-Mobile or whatever. I'd like to know if anybody is using the TiVo HBO GO app successfully, and if so, with which service provider. I hate to start a new thread, but I'm thinking few people will read this far into this thread to see the question. I'll keep the question simple and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
You raise a good question -- does the problem lie with TiVo and not DIRECTV NOW? So I did a little experimenting just to see whether ANY service provider could be used to authorize HBO GO on the TiVo Roamio and it appears some will work and some won't. Since it's HBO that tells me DIRECTV NOW isn't supported on my device, I thought I'd see what it says if I tell it I have an XFINITY account. Guess what? XFINITY isn't supported. Nor is DIRECTV, or some others I tried. But T-Mobile apparently works, and RCN, and Cox and probably more. When I told HBO GO I had one of those service providers it happily gave me the service provider's login screen that asked for my userid and password, leading me to believe that if I had an account with one of them I could get HBO GO on the TiVo.

So now I'm wondering if anybody out there is watching HBO GO via a TiVo? If so, then it's true that the TiVo HBO GO app works with some service providers but not others (as I'm becoming confident it does), and I'm wondering who's holding things up? Are the big service providers like Xfinity and DirecTV not allowing their credentials to be used through the TiVo box? Is the TiVo App somehow incompatible with HBO GO? Or is HBO GO listing all the service providers as options but refusing to recognize some of them?

My guess is that the least likely is a problem with the TiVo HBO GO app, as it gives every indication it would work if only I had an account with T-Mobile or whatever. I'd like to know if anybody is using the TiVo HBO GO app successfully, and if so, with which service provider. I hate to start a new thread, but I'm thinking few people will read this far into this thread to see the question. I'll keep the question simple and see what happens.
If you search around here on HBOGO and Xfinity

If you search here you can find threads about HBOGO activation and grumbling about Xfinity refusing to activate it (but it's a sort of mute point as you can use XoD to watch HBO).

·
Registered
7,677 Posts
Already answered in your other thread, but as evidenced by the experience with Comcast and HBO Go, this is being blocked by the provider not accepting account authentication/authorization from HBO Go.

Scott

·
Bill Knapp
1,437 Posts
Specifically, I want to watch HBO GO using the app provided on my TiVo Roamio device rather than Apple TV, because then I could watch HBO in another room using a TiVo Roamio "Mini" device...
I'm pretty sure that you've got to activate the mini itself to watch the HBO GO in the other room. Any devices that streams has to have the app on that device. Any content that you record can be steamed within that network. I think all mini's have an HBO GO app. Which mini do you own A92 - A93 - A95?

Also, TiVo is apparently working on an app that'll allow you to stream your content to Apple & Android devices. Hoping for Roku too. Supposed to be released soon, but they said that a year ago.

I don't have Direct Tv, but my mom does. I tried using her credentials and it failed. Using Verizon FIOS works. I think that was on a Premiere over a year ago.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.