TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Save the Moderatоr
34,560 Posts
cheerdude said:
Never seen JfC ... but is this the first HBO series that has been cancelled mid-season? Or at least the first one in a while?
It wasn't canceled mid-season. It was canceled after season 1 was finished. Well, maybe not even that... it was rumored to be canceled after season 1 was finished. :)

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
billyd88 said:
I will totally miss the show. Liked the characters and thought Ed O'Neil was superb.
+1 :up: My wife and I hung in there and eventually really got into the show and will miss it a lot...we don't know why...but we will. Ed O'Neil was indeed outstanding as were the rest of the uncommon characters.

It wasn't for everyone certainly and wasn't as dark and unusual as David Lynch's "Twin Peaks" but it had the same edgy feel and IMHO could have really developed into something long term. I'll give HBO credit for going out on a limb with this one...wish they'd do it more often. (At least Flight of the Conchords and Big Love will be back. :) )

Unfortunately the current viewing trend of demanding instant gratification and kindergarten level plot lines doesn't allow for shows like this to develop any more which is sad. Most Emmy award winners of the past (M*A*S*H for instance) would be canceled mid-season in today's reality-based schlock TV show market.

We'll miss John from wherever he was from. Why? I don't know Butchie instead. :(

·
ID-10-T
15,902 Posts
I feel bad I never gave this show as much as a single viewing, considering how much I liked Deadwood, but I let the reviews from all different areas impact me enough for me to believe I would not like it. I should have probably given it at least an episode or two.

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
marksman said:
I feel bad I never gave this show as much as a single viewing, considering how much I liked Deadwood, but I let the reviews from all different areas impact me enough for me to believe I would not like it. I should have probably given it at least an episode or two.
MikeMar said:
I really liked this show and knew it would be tough to stick around, but figured HBO would keep it for at least 2.

HBO - people are already subscribing, just do 2 seasons at least!
It took us about four episodes to decide to keep watching...just to find out what would happen next if nothing else. I wouldn't have called it a great show, but it was a refreshing break from the pablum that passes for prime time these days. I can see how people might have freaked out about it...liked it or hated it.

I just wish there were more room for creativity in television. Heck, in music too. Soulless corporations have to answer to their shareholders so they play it safe. If isn't an instant hit...buh bye. That kind of mindset pretty much sucks for everyone involved. All you end up with is homogenized chewing gum for the eyes and ears.

Like them or hate them, at least programs like "John" and "Deadwood" stand out among the rest of the vast wasteland of programming. Hopefully HBO and others will have the kahonies to keep trying. :up:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.