TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully someone might have an answer to this ongoing problem. I have a series one Philips Directivo in my master bedroom. For the past several months, it looses signal on Sat 2 at irregular intervals. If I reboot or reset, it has no effect. If I go out to the multiswitch and move the cable to another output it comes back up. Next time it fails, I can move the cable to the output that didn't work last time and it will come back up. I have replaced all the cable runs and connections in this line twice. I have eliminated the connection box in the wall and run the cables directly to the receiver. The system is grounded. I have bypassed the grounding block connections and that doesn't change anything. When the signal fails on Sat 2, if I then switch inputs at the box, the signal will fail on Sat 1 leaving me to think it's not a receiver problem. I have also switched multiswitches and run cable to different satillite dish. I have two different dishes, both with multiswitches, feeding 3 tivos, and two regular receivers. None of the other boxes have had or are having any problems. It's only this one cable run. My conclusion at the moment is that it's a receiver problem that fails after a time but that seems strange to me. Nothing changes the signal until I disconnect the cable at the multiswitch. Undoing the cable and refastening it at any other juncture doesn't change anything. So far, everytime I have move the cable at the multiswitch the signal has come back. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Doug

· TechKnow Guide
4,779 Posts
It's not a DVR receiver problem, or you would not see the problem "move" when you swapped the two satellite input cables on the back of the DVR. You might try moving this receiver to a different location, or connecting one of your "good" receivers to the "bad" cable line. I think it's a cable or multiswitch/dish problem that you haven't detected yet. Swapping dishes and multiswitches pretty much only leaves that cable run as the culprit. But you've replaced those cables, too. But the fact that it always seems to be this one particular cable feed points to that as the issue. Doublecheck your coax connectors to ensure that there are no stray shield wires that could be shorting the connectors. Also, be sure the center conductor is not too long, or too short, which can cause problems like this.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. It's just that everything in the cable run has been replaced twice. Yesterday morning it went down again prompting the thread. Yesterday evening it was working again. This was the first time that happened. There were absolutely no changes made to anything from morning till night other than temperature. If it get cold again in the next few days will check to see if it goes away. Still very strange. Doug

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.