TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

· I am Groot!
58,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this message from one of AD's producers on another board, with no citation of its original source:

Showtime may book 'Arrested'

Mitch Hurwitz
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will the pay TV environs of Showtime be a friendlier place for the Emmy-winning comedy "Arrested Development"? Word around town this week is that Showtime is in talks with "Arrested" producers 20th Century Fox TV and Imagine TV about picking up the comedy from creator/executive producer Mitch Hurwitz. Sources stressed that the talks are still exploratory and that it would be a big financial commitment on Showtime's part to pick up the show in its current form with a large ensemble cast that includes Jason Bateman, Jeffrey Tambor, Portia de Rossi, Jessica Walter and Will Arnett. "Arrested" was an instant hit with critics following its debut on Fox in late 2003, but the show never could pull in much of a crowd during its run on Fox Broadcasting Co., even after it won the Emmy for best comedy series in 2004. Last month, Fox threw in the towel, cutting its episode order for "Arrested's" third season from its initial 22-episode ticket to 13 (HR 11/11). Reps for Showtime, 20th and Imagine declined comment late Tuesday. (Nellie Andreeva)

· Smelly Pirate Hooker
938 Posts
Chapper1 said:
This would be the best Christmas present ever! I hope this is what Santa brings us for Christmas!!

Showtime would get themselves many new subscribers to help pay for that production cost...
I'm a big fan of the show, it's my favorite, and I want to be an optimist, but no, no they wouldn't (get many new subscribers.)

· Well aren't you
7,594 Posts
I would poop myself if this happened.

and totally pickup showtime :D

wonder if the lack of censor beeps would detract from the comedy. Like when Buster goes off about his mother in season one and Michael, Job, and Lindsey are shocked by how explicit he is. :) I guess they could just include the beeps :)

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,027 Posts
I won't subscribe to Showtime if they pick up AD, but I'll be thrilled and will anxiously await the release of the Showtime eps on DVD.

· Time for a new Title
20,116 Posts
mrpantstm said:
I would poop myself if this happened.

and totally pickup showtime :D

wonder if the lack of censor beeps would detract from the comedy. Like when Buster goes off about his mother in season one and Michael, Job, and Lindsey are shocked by how explicit he is. :) I guess they could just include the beeps :)
I've wondered this as well. I don't think it's as funny to hear the words, as it is to hear the beep.

· I am Groot!
58,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
doom1701 said:
I've wondered this as well. I don't think it's as funny to hear the words, as it is to hear the beep.
I doubt they would take out the bleeps. They aren't there to mask dirty language; they are there as a joke in their own right.

· Registered
81 Posts
Stories like this... and interest from other networks should clue Fox in that it might need to find a way to keep it.

Fact is, the show IS expensive, and it will never draw great ratings... but networks spend alot of money each year on bad shows which lose money... why not just consider this a "loss leader"? It's a show that brings the network universal acclaim from critics... and engenders tons of good will.

Regardless, though, I haven't subscribed to Showtime in years, but I'll be right back in there if they grabbed AD.

· No Pop Culture Here.
191 Posts
Four things I found noteworthy in the Variety piece:

Variety said:
ABC, meanwhile, is also looking to make its mark in comedy, having already established itself as the home of TV's most buzzworthy dramas ("Lost," "Desperate Housewives," "Grey's Anatomy"). Net has high hopes for upcoming laffers, such as "Emily's Reason's Why Not," "Crumbs" and "Sons and Daughters," as well as a sophomore contender, "Jake in Progress."
ABC as a network is DESPERATE (pun intended) for a hit comedy, and at least one with a built-in audience, and may be really interested.

Variety said:
On the other hand, "Arrested" is a winner in the DVD market, and more episodes mean more DVD sales. Skein could also take off if given mass exposure on a cablercabler such as Showtime -- particularly now that the feeveefeevee cabler is part of Leslie Moonves' CBS Corp. family.

Moonves certainly knows something about making lemons out of lemonade. One of his first acts upon taking over CBS was picking up a show from NBC called "JAG." Skein ran for nearly a decade on the Eye and spawned the successful spinoff "NCIS."
All of a sudden, either Showtime or CBS (which isn't mentioned, but is a possibility) could be interested since Les Moonves oversees both CBS and Showtime and has proven track record of reviving JAG among other fading shows from another network.

Variety said:
Studio has already deficited millions in order to produce the show, which costs about $1. 6 million per half-hour to produce. It's believed 20th deficits about $400,000 per episode.

Even if ABC or Showtime stepped up with the same license fee Fox now forks over for the show, 20th execs will have to decide whether it's worth it to sink more money into a show that isn't a proven ratings winner. That's one reason the studio might push for at least a 22-episode (or greater) commitment from a net.

Studio needs 36 episodes to get "Arrested" to the magic number of 88 episodes required for syndication. But even if it gets to syndication, there's no guarantee of a rich payday in the off-netoff-net market.
Episodes are expensive, which is the main reason FOX downgraded its season order without ratings. Should the show switch networks, it's a win-win situation, most likely requiring 22 or more episodes per season (good for the fans) and helps to get to syndication (good for the networks) and added replay value and even helps along with DVD sales (good for everyone).

Variety said:
Since Fox has yet to officially cop to canceling "Arrested," 20th can't formally make any deals with another net. There are other barriers to setting the show up elsewhere, however.
Since the show is "unofficially" cancelled, no word can be made as of yet on any moving of networks. EVERYTHING is conjecture and idle rumors until that time.

· Broncos Faithful
6,214 Posts
If Fox would consider this a loss leader, they more than make up for it from shows like American Idol, 24, House. I don't really care who pickes it up, as long as someone does. And I will follow it anywhere.

So far, there are seven people here who would pick up new subscriptions to Showtime. It may sound strange, but the AD watchers are a very loyal bunch...

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.