TiVo Community Forum banner

Are you switching from DirecTV to Cable?

• I bought a TiVo HD or Series3 to switch from DirecTV to Cable

Votes: 84 88.4%
  • I bought a TiVo HD or Series3 but I'm not switching from DirecTV to Cable

Votes: 11 11.6%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Right side up again.
16,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure there might be a lot of people like me who are buying Series3 and TiVo HD to switch from DirecTV to cable; thought it would be interesting to see how many. Poll to follow.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I switched to cable when their DVR came out with no commitment or upfront costs. At the time the HD DirecTivo was some crazy price.

Not only do they not make those anymore, with DirecTVs planned switch to MPEG4 they'll be much less useful (i assume some channels will remain MPEG2) - effectively ending Tivo with DirecTV, unless some new agreement comes up. I can't compare, but rumors of DirecTV "HD Lite" scare me off. The price of the TivoHD made me willing to commit to cable for 3 years. I also like the VOD.

Actually I still have both D* and Comcast, since satellite is included in my condo fee. With the TivoHD I'm phasing out the DirecTivo.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I will be switching from DirecTv to Comcast w/a Series 3 Tivo when the bugs seem to get worked out. I just don't have time to deal with multiple truck rolls and the garbage that I see so much of.

Until the installs go smooth and can be done in a reasonable fasion, I will stay with DTV on my old DirecTivo.

·
Addicted Member
1,637 Posts
I left DirecTV not because of there breakup with Tivo, but rather because I do not have line of sight for the HD satellites.

I went with FIOS and their DVR until this weekend. I now have 2 Tivo HDs.

·
Right side up again.
16,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gschoen said:
Actually I still have both D* and Comcast
Yeah, I haven't quite pulled the plug on DirecTV yet either, but I will soon. I think I've read you can ask them to suspend your service for a period, which I might do just in case the TiVo HD pixellation glitches don't get fixed.

·
Damn, these are fun!
607 Posts
I left D* and picked up an S3 for HD OTA + analog cable. IMO there is just not enough compelling HD content beyond the Local networks to justify the cost. OTA + analog cable gives me enough choices for my interest. I also tire of the $60-70/mo Sat bill and I get analog cable along with my HSI from Comcast, so my bill is significantly lower. I will essentially pay for my S3 in 7 months with the monthly savings of dropping D*.

·
Right side up again.
16,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
magnus said:
I voted yes but actually I am not going to cable either. I dropped Directv for a S3 and OTA digital.
Right, dropping DirecTV was the real question I was interested in, whether that involves going to Cable, FIOS, OTA, Unbox, Bittorrent, or whatever for your programming.

·
Ancient Member
797 Posts
I am likely going to be doing this within the next week ... but instead of dropping DirecTV outright.. I'm going to suspend my account ... you can do that up to 9 months .. I'll give them a chance to come out with an HD + TiVo solution .. and depending on my experience with cable .. I *may* come back.

-MirclMax

·
Dr_Diablo
885 Posts
Prefer Directv over cable, Brighthouse simply because as of now I have to retain the cable HD box in order to get PPV

Cable... can only retain PPV for 24 hours, using their HD Box
Directv... PPV is mine to do with as I wish

BTY, whats a good site for downloading movies ?

·
Nowhere Man...
3,212 Posts
Switched from DirecTV to cable over a year ago. Quality of D* had really degraded over time. Fortunate that Comcast here is rather reliable. I may be the only person that has a consistent, working Motorola 3412 cable DVR too.

I'd prefer to be that lucky with the lotteries these days...

Not that I'm hoping they do this, but if Comcast raises their DVR fee to the point where I'm within $5/month of a TiVo HD w/subscription and cable card(s), I'll probably stay with the Motorola HD box, so long as it continues to be reliable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm in the process of a switch. Letting the Direct TV run out, and am going to explain to them why I'm dropping them. (Lack of Tivo). Just got the Digital cable from Cox, the M-Card worked as an M-Card so I'm decoding multiple streams. Haven't really noticed any pixelation other than when it first locks into a stream. The one issue I am experiencing is that we ordered HBO/Showtime which is a special and it's not working. They're sending a tech out to do whatever the techs do that I can't do. (nothing other than special phone numbers). As for why the card won't add the premium channels I'm sure they'll figure it out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
bdlucas said:
Yeah, I haven't quite pulled the plug on DirecTV yet either, but I will soon. I think I've read you can ask them to suspend your service for a period, which I might do just in case the TiVo HD pixellation glitches don't get fixed.
Careful though. In some situations, they will make you do a 2 year agreement to turn it back on.

·
Damn, these are fun!
607 Posts
MirclMax said:
I am likely going to be doing this within the next week ... but instead of dropping DirecTV outright.. I'm going to suspend my account ... you can do that up to 9 months .. I'll give them a chance to come out with an HD + TiVo solution .. and depending on my experience with cable .. I *may* come back.

-MirclMax
Technically I suspended my D* account too. But considering I prepaid 3 yrs on the S3 and will do a 3 yr commit with the THD, I doubt I'll be going back to D* anytime soon. I just wanted to preserve my options during the transition.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm in the process of dropping D* for Comcast. The main reason is that I'm surrounded by trees that finally have gotten too tall to deal with. Right now I have both, and was in a "transition" phase when the TiVo HD came out. I picked one up and turned in my C* SA box last week when the cablecard install was supposed to happen. I have one singlestream card that the tech did not activate, but another visit scheduled Tuesday to do the activation and get a second card. When this is all worked out, I will drop D*. Having the new TiVo is icing on the cake and made me not have any second thoughts. I just ordered a 750GB WD drive for upgrading after I'm certain that my TiVo HD is working.

·
A is A
42 Posts
I made the switch last week. I posted about it on DBS Talk. I'll re-post my message here for those who are interested:

Summary
========
The new cable-card enabled Tivo HD box is an exceptional device. It's loaded with great features and is very easy to use. I'm very happy that I've decided to make the switch. DirecTV has taken Tivo users for granted for far too long. Not only are they pushing an inferior product, they've kept the Tivo from getting great new features that have come along over the years. The only negative has been cable-card setup - which took far too long.

Background
==========
I have been a DirecTV subscriber for approximately 12 years. DirecTV has always provided a great product and great service. My main reasons for subscribing to DirecTV have been content and picture quality. Cable, especially 12 years ago, could not come close to matching DirecTV's product offering.

Not long after DirecTV came into my home, I subscribed to the very first Tivo service. The combination of Tivo and DirecTV was phenomenal. Tivo has always been an elegant, wondrous device. I heard that some former Apple people were involved with its development. Even if that isn't true, the way that Tivo does things evokes the way Apple does things. Nirvana in TV viewing came a few years later when DirecTV and Tivo created a merged product. While very expensive, it was the absolute pinnacle of what TV could and should be.

Of course, it was too good to be true. Somewhere in a meeting room deep in the heart of DirecTV, an idea began to form that DirecTV didn't need Tivo. The Tivo references on the combined DirecTivo device started to disappear. DirecTV started talking about and then offering a non Tivo DVR which by most reports is inferior to Tivo. I didn't mind this too much, my DirecTivo box still worked well.

But, we all know what came next. The last blow to Tivo was DirecTV's switch to a new encoding format and their position that DirecTivo boxes wouldn't work with the new format. I was told that my only choice was to accept their inferior DVR.

This 'Aint Your Daddy's Cable
=============================
What exactly is DirecTV? They don't create any content. They are, essentially, a conduit to deliver video developed by others. In 1995, my local cable company didn't offer very much. In 2007, they offer everything that DirecTV offers and a lot of stuff that they don't. My user interface to this content has been Tivo for the past 10 years. With Comcast, I can retain that great user interface and get the same content. The choice is easy.

Another thing: I didn't realize how far behind the DirecTivo box is from where modern Tivo boxes are. My anger at DirecTV is doubled now that I know this. The Tivo HD is so much better than the DirecTivo that it's hard to list all the improvements. Here are a few:

* Web-based scheduling of shows

* Home media - this is much cooler than I thought it would be. It's like having an AppleTV. Plus, there's a bunch of Tivo-specific content that you can get: the Onion, C/Net, etc. Yes, a lot of the stuff you can get is already on the web, but Tivo does a great job of integrating it.

* Swivel Search

* Internet connection for all Tivo guided setup, channels, etc. No phone connection.

* Amazon Unbox. This is really nice. I've already rented a few movies.

* Tons of subtle and not-so-subtle user interface improvements over the DirecTivo.

Bumpy Road to Cablecard
=======================
The only negative to all of this was the installation. It was a nightmare. However, through all of it Comcast customer service has been surprisingly good.

* Called Comcast. They scheduled an install for the very next day.

* Guy got there and it turned out that there was no connection to my house. Had to schedule special work for that (no charge).

* 1 week later (!) the connection was made to my house. Then, had to schedule a cablecard install.

* The cablecard installer came on Saturday (nice!) and finished the connections. But, the local Comcast office ran out of cablecards that day and the remaining part of the install had to wait. At least I had 30 channels of basic cable at that point.

* The following Tuesday, the installer came with the cablecards. He was very green. He'd only done 1 cablecard install before. I was worried. Two hours later, I suggested that he try another cablecard (I've read here that there are lots of bad ones). He relented and tried another. We got a bit farther, but still no dice. Two more hours and he gave up. He scheduled their top "cablecard installer" to come on Thursday.

* It turns out that the guy on Tuesday was using an "M" card and they don't seem to work in the Tivo HD (at least not with my local Comcast). This guy used two standard cards and it was working within an hour. I have all my channels and it works beautifully. I had that feeling I had when I first used the dual tuner DirecTivo.

* Because of all the trouble I had to go through, my local Comcast rep gave me a free month of service. Nice!

Goodby DirecTV?
===============
Yes, DirecTV, it's been great, but you blew it.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Nice summary.

Note that MCards work fine in the Tivo HD box. Not quite sure why your local Comcast would have MCards if the head end didn't support them.

·
Right side up again.
16,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pretty much my story too jordanz (minus the problems with CableCard install - mine went very smoothly.) I'm holding my breath regarding the pixellation issues though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
MirclMax said:

-MirclMax
Exactly my situation...Got an S3 last week and am having FIOS installed Thursday and going to suspend the D* account. From what I continue to hear about FIOS and their excellent HD quality, I find it hard to believe that I may go back to D*, though we'll see what happens with D* and Tivo, and what the mpeg-4 channels look like.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.